Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

What do you do with Electrical When storing?

I have never had access to 50 amp service when storing until now.

What are you guys with electrical access doing? Do you leave plugged in to the shore power or disconnect and turn off batteries with an occasional plug in for a charge?

Does anyone leave roof AC (s) on and set to a higher temp on in the summer heat? (I am in FL so no freezing issues in winter.) Or do you leave a vent cracked and the thermostat controlled roof fan on or? Just wondering the trade off between wear and tear on the systems and wear and tear on the interior from the heat.

Any other suggestions on the electrical part?

Thanks,

Scott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Other than being stored inside, I have the same situation as yours. In storage, I'm plugged into 50A service, fridge stays on, slides out and jacks down. No need to run AC but I do run the fans to circulate air. If you are storing outside, you may look at running the AC depending on what you have stored inside?

My batteries stay at 13.7 volts continually. About four years ago I added 4oz of mineral oil to each cel on my house batteries and since then, I check and top up the water about every 6 months and they stay clean. Leaving your batteries under charge continually is better for battery life than cycling them up and down when not plugged in.
Another thing I used to do when I stored outside was to install two 110V mouse speakers (can't remember the correct name) to repell mice and other rodents. Must have worked because I never had a problem in this regard.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Ours stays plugged in at home. Fridge stays on, we set the A/C's on 80 so things don't get too hot. Batteries stay charged.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

When ours was stored indoors in Dallas during the summer it was on 30 amp service. Vent in bathroom cracked slightly, propane & fridge off. We used canisters of dehumidifier crystals but a better deal would be an electric one sitting and draining in the sink. We emptied and dried the fridge with doors open a few days then put toilet paper rolls in it and closed it up. Don't forget to check your battery water every month or so if you don't have AGMs.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #5

Store mine outside with 50 amp. Leave refrigerator on, a/cs set to 85, dump air, leave bathroom vent open, close all blinds, cover tires and mirrors. Check batteries every few weeks. Diesel tank full with fuel stabilizer and algaicide.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Plugged in to 50 amp, refer running, vent fan running to keep cool on warmer days, close blinds and put on windshield bra, install tire covers.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

Plugged in to a 20A... nothing on except vent fan and charger. I check the water level in the batteries every 2-3 months.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

Steady power? No worries if you follow above advice. Check on it regularly.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
My motorhomes were always stored outside from a one week period to a 6 months period.
I make sure that my batteries are fully loaded before storing and then, I either disconnect or throw both cut-off batteries switches to the OFF position.
A week or more or 6 months later, I just reconnect or set both switches to the ON position, and that rig restarts without any problem.
p.s. after any of these storage, the batteries are still over 12 VOLTS !
Old 06-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I keep it plugged in all the time at home. But before you do that, make sure you have a good three stage charger that properly floats the batteries. If you have a cheaper converter/charger, or one that isn't functioning properly, you run the risk of overcharging the batteries and boiling them dry. If this is the case with you, you don't want to leave the charger on all the time -- some people have had good luck using a timer to only run it for a little bit each day.

I don't live in Florida, so I don't have to deal with extreme heat, so I leave the air conditioners off, crack the bathroom window, and run the thermostatic Fantastic Fan in the living room to keep some air moving. The fan has a MaxxAir cover to keep out rain.

I have an auto generator start that I keep enabled -- if the power outlet should lose power, it will start the generator if the batteries get low and prevent them from draining completely.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Why do "you" keep the fridge on in storage??
Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, plugged in to the 30 amp circuit I installed some 20+ years ago. Keeps the batteries up and the refer/freezer cold. Can also turn on the AquaHot electric heaters to keep it from freezing. I haven't tried the floor heaters on that circuit though. I think both front and rear floor heaters coming on at the same time would be more than 30 amps when added to the batteries and refer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
DW overbuys at the store ALL the time. The extra refer/freezer comes in handy! We already have two freezers (one is an old 31 cf Kenmore and the other is a 20 cf one) stuffed full along the the stick house and MH side by side 22 cf units!
Then the DW demanded that we have a storage bay freezer in the Magna! Haven't even taken the time to wire it in yet. Too much other stuff going on right now!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Define "storage." There's short term and long term storage.

For me, all spring/summer/fall is short-term storage between trips. We go out often enough that the fridge stays on and full of food the whole time. It's too much work to empty it after a trip, and then turn it on a day or two before a trip to let it cool down then reload it. Two or three weeks between trips is a long time for us, the downtime is usually shorter than that. If I know it's going to be a month or two before the next trip (a very rare situation) then I may be inclined to empty and turn off the fridge.

Then there is the long-term storage over the winter. I see no need to keep the fridge running through that. (Although I still leave the rig plugged in and the batteries on charge.)

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical