Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What do you get out of spending so much time on this site?

As a newbie if someone was to ask me this question I could name two things I learned on this site and used on our first longer trip.
First, if you have a 50 amp coach and you only have 30 amp service you can still run your electrical system but must limit yourself to 30 amps and (important to us) you can run at least one air-conditioner. So we didn't leave the last remaining site at our destination but stayed and had a great time.
Second, don't assume someone who is sent to take care of a problem knows what they are doing. Watch them and come right out and ask their qualifications and question their actions. We had an individual show up at our MH who said he was there to fix the 50 amp service. He saw the 50 amp Surge Guard that I was using with a 30 amp adapter cable between it and the box. Explained to me the Surge Guard had a high rate of failure and it was more than likely the problem since he had repaired numerous ones for campers. I explained I would not remove the Surge Guard but would stay on 30 amp since it was working.
He then decided to take the electric pedestal apart but was upset when he found it had been riveted together by one of the other work campers. While he went for rivets and a rivet gun I checked 4 adjacent boxes and found they were all factory riveted. When he came back and pulled out his drill to remove rivets I asked him if maybe he shouldn't remove two screws I pointed out. He explained he was an engineer and knew what he was doing. But to make me happy he removed the screws and the plate came off. He found a couple of lugs on the 50 amp service were loose. He tightened them and I plugged the surge guard in and everything worked great. Second, if I had accepted what he said at face value about the surge protector and removed it, anything could have happened. It may have not been a happy ending.

Education, no matter how you go about obtaining it is a wonderful thing. Reading is a great tool.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you've been able to benefit from the forum so quickly.

To answer your question, I think you hit it on the hit with the broad term of "education".

I joined this forum in early 2007 and had never owned an RV of any kind. I had recently retired and was contemplating buying a DP and going on a full time "adventure". My first posts were not much more sophisticated than asking what "RV" stood for.

Now, nearly six years later, I've got 43 states and over 50,000 miles under my belt... and dang if I'm not a moderator here with nearly 7,000 posts.

Nearly everything I know about RVing I've learned from the friendly, helpful and knowledgeable membership here... complemented by my experience on the road. You pointed out the benefits you've received by asking questions here and learning not to trust all "professionals" just because they have a shirt with their name on it. Often times, knowing what questions to ask is as important as anything else

This is not an activity where one can just grab the keys... fire it up... and bee bop down the road expecting to have everything be "plug and play" as it is with automobiles these days. There are so many levels of expertise to be developed and there's no better place that I've found than right here.

The above explains a fraction of the time I spend here on the forum. Severe ADDICTION explains the rest.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm on here because I can't stand the withdrawal pains.

I direct people to this forum if they are not familiar with it. My explanation to them is that everything they ever wanted to know about their RV can be found on this forum, and if it is not here they can ask a question about it and get an answer. Of course, some of the answers have to be taken like a grain of salt, but for the most part there are good answers.

Tonight, I only have 10 pages to scan for things seemingly important to me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Education.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Along with an education you'd be hard pressed to get anywhere else; you get the opportunity to meet a heck of a lot of like minded people if you so choose.
I can think of a lot worse ways to spend my time...

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Education.
X2, and great people willing to help others.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to agree with the others Education, what a wonderful way to learn, also some good stories!

Thanks Everyone
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #8

As the poster said, I spend time here because anything I can learn from this site is great information. One never stops learning about RV's and there is a wealth of information here. I always open a post with a title that may affect me or my RV.

However, with all due respect, one thing I have learned is that some people can't spell!. Reading some posts is like hearing someone dragging fingernails on a blackboard.

Using Break for Brake, Peddle for Pedal, and on, and on. . Or, maybe it's just that some people post in a hurry, and don't go back to review what they wrote. No offense to anyone, just my two cents of opinion and a lot of morning coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
...Education, no matter how you go about obtaining it is a wonderful thing. Reading is a great tool.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Entertainment to go along with the education.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I come here for the wealth of information contained in these forums/threads. I have learned a great deal in the past 14 months! And on occasion I try to provide some advice as well. ("pay it forward")
Old 10-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep in our home it is reconized evening collage!Love this site,unbelieveable the knowlage you gain here.So my one to three hours a nite here are well spent,next will be grammer,and spelling. Thank you to all that contribute.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I found this site to get some education on the million things going on in and around our RV. It is amazing how many gadgets are packed into a typical MH. Doesn't seem possible that one person could know everything about them but a community of people do so here we are.

There is a lot (yes a lot is two words) good fun here too. Take a couple of days to read the Walmart parking thread to see that.

About the OP. Don't you just hate know nothing, know it alls? The work camper working on your power is not just a know it all but dangerous. If you don't know something there is no shame in admitting it. Smile and ask for help. That is why we are here to ask and offer assistance. You can get an answer for questions from what does this button do to how to rebuild your motor.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Community Administrator

There is a guy I know that bought his first MH in 01 and in four years traveled 52,000 miles to 49 States and all 10 Canadian Provinces. He didn't know that his ac, refrigerator and furnace needed 12v to operate. He didn't have a supp brake on his toad nor a pressure valve on the fresh water inlet or the need to check the electric at a CG prior to plugging in. He joined IRV2 in 2009 and now has a working knowledge of how all these things operate and has purchased a lot of items to protect his equipment and more importantly his Family. Heck, they recently made him a moderator here. You see that guy is me. Thank you IRV2 for all you've done and continue to do for me.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

About the OP. Don't you just hate know nothing, know it alls? The work camper working on your power is not just a know it all but dangerous. If you don't know something there is no shame in admitting it.
The problem is, they don't know (or won't admit) that they don't know anything. When someone says, "I know what I'm doing, I'm an engineer (or whatever title they have), I know I'm in for trouble." A lot of people have book learning with no application skills.

As to this forum, I find it very educational and informative as well as humorous. I feel like I know some of you even though I wouldn't recognize you if I ran into you.