Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #15

[QUOTE="danleininger;1934495"]Long Post! This is a subject I'm pretty passionate about. I agree with the previous poster that the PUR faucet system is probably the least expensive. The next best system, IMHO, would be the secondary small faucet added by the kitchen sink with an under the counter filter. This can also be plumbed into your ice-maker. After 12 years of RVing with 4 different MHs we nearly full-time now, I have experienced lots of different water quality around the country, with northern Indiana being one of the worst (my daughter lives there.) So, my first attempt to solve this problem was to install a triple canister filtration system. This included two canister filters in the water Bay (10 & 2 micron) that filtered water going into the freshwater tank, plus the small faucet and filter system in the kitchen. The carbon filter did a good job addressing the varying tastes of the water at the kitchen sink. However, the dual cartridge system did little for the minerals and rust in the water. So toilets, showers and sinks everywhere needed constant cleaning. Nine months ago, at the advice of a friend, I installed a whole house Reverse Osmosis system that fed into the freshwater tank. This was purchased from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and included a three canister filter system (10 & 2 micron plus a carbon filter) and a single RO membrane canister. I had to tap into the freshwater supply, the freshwater tank fill line and the sewer discharge line. The total install took me about three hours and cost about $200. The results were amazing! We now get highly filtered and consistent tasting water everywhere. With the minerals and rust removed we get no spots or film formation on the toilets, the sinks, the showers, dishwasher or dishes. So everything stays much cleaner. I now wash the motorhome using the RO water and no longer have to dry it. A big time savings! I plan on replacing all of the filters yearly which will cost me about $100. But that's a small price to pay for awesome water! There is one downside. If you regularly boondock for a long time, this system will not be very helpful. You have to be connected to a water supply and sewer system for the system to properly operate. If anyone is interested I will be glad to post photographs of my system.[/QUOT

Great post. I'd love to see your pics. What pump do you use to push water through the RO membrane and at what pressure? How much waste water are you generating per gal of RO water to the tank?

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #16

Do they make a undersink filter that has a drain plug on it so I can drain all the water and then store it ? I mean $42.00 for an undersink filter to use maybe 3-4 weeks out of the year is ridiculous...

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #17

And....how did it seem to effect your pressure at faucets?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
And....how did it seem to effect your pressure at faucets?
Water pressure is unaffected because we run off the 12V water pump all the time. Although we are connected to the camp water it is only used to supply the RO system. The only water that goes into our fresh water tank comes from the RO system. That's why everything stays so clean.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #19

We filter all water coming into the fresh water tank and then use an under the sink filter for drinking/cooking. US-EZ-1 Culligan Under Sink Water Filter System Only $34.99 There is also a bypass cap that replaces the filter for sanitizing or winterizing.

Not the best, I'm sure, but probably just as good if not better than unregulated bottled water.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Great post. I'd love to see your pics. What pump do you use to push water through the RO membrane and at what pressure? How much waste water are you generating per gal of RO water to the tank?
I have two pumps on my system. One is a permeate pump to raise the efficiency of the system the other is a boost pump to raise RO water pressure. The permeate pump uses brine to operate. The boost pump is a 100psi, RO pressure runs about half the input pressure. I limit that by using a 40psi cutoff switch on the tank line, the switch also operates a on/off valve in the RO supply so as to have positive shut off. My insta hot system is long gone and I used the hole in the sink from that faucet plus the cabinet switch to operate the outlet which supplies the boost pump. Brine is plumbed into the sink drain.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #21

What a timely post. I just posted on my blog about finding an under sink filter and changing it out on our Alpine Coach today!

www.flyingthekoop.com
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club

This picture does not have the boost pump.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Nine months ago, at the advice of a friend, I installed a whole house Reverse Osmosis system that fed into the freshwater tank.
How long does it take to fill your tank?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I have two pumps on my system. One is a permeate pump to raise the efficiency of the system the other is a boost pump to raise RO water pressure. The permeate pump uses brine to operate. The boost pump is a 100psi, RO pressure runs about half the input pressure. I limit that by using a 40psi cutoff switch on the tank line, the switch also operates a on/off valve in the RO supply so as to have positive shut off. My insta hot system is long gone and I used the hole in the sink from that faucet plus the cabinet switch to operate the outlet which supplies the boost pump. Brine is plumbed into the sink drain.
Our systems are quite similar, but mine dumps the RO into the fresh tank. Ain't RO water wonderful.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
How long does it take to fill your tank?
From dead empty about 9-10 hours. I've only done this once at startup. Since the system auto-starts when the level drops slightly in the fresh water tank, the system is producing water as I'm using it. As a result I have never run out of water in the 9 months since I've fired up this system.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I have tried several times to upload photos but I keep getting the "File is too large" message.
Any suggestions???
Old 02-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #27

I guess we are the odd ones. In 18 years of motorhoming in eight different coaches, we have never drank water from the on board tank or campgraond supplied water. We always purchase spring water for drinking purposes when traveling. The on-board and campground water is used for bathing, washing clothes and dishes only. I rely on the oem filter and sanitize the system 3-4 times a year. Never a problem.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a teardrop set up for serious boondocking and that includes taking water from streams or lakes and making it potable. In general we use two filters, ceramic and carbon filter which gets the big stuff out and the ceramic is scrub-able. If we are pulling from suspect sources the final filter is a General Ecology which works down to the virus level. What a filter or filter system will take out is highly variable and you need to do the research and you need to understand the difference between water filter and water purifier!

Tags
water