Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
An easy system to install is a faucet like this Watts Brushed Nickel Non Air Gap Standard Faucet for Reverse Osmosis System-0958231 at The Home Depot

With one of these filters inline. the Kit to install the first filter with the filter and all the connections is $14.95 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Bru...8231/203208943
I use the same filter to replace the expensive RV inline ice maker filter, but I do have to change the connection ends of the filters, which just unscrew. It's better then $37. at Camping Would for the same type filter.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #30

I would like to see pictures of your system. I have been in water treatment for 30 years and know of no "whole house reverse osmosis system" that can be hooked up to water hose and provide the quantity of water needed for a motor home.
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
I would like to see pictures of your system. I have been in water treatment for 30 years and know of no "whole house reverse osmosis system" that can be hooked up to water hose and provide the quantity of water needed for a motor home.
Check these systems:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WCRO.htm

As a professional water guy, I would be interested in your comments about these.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Here's another attempt to upload a photo of my Whole House RO System.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterbay3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	56504  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Impressive setup. Do you have dual RO membranes? I assume the filter down next to the RO housings is a final filter. Is it between the RO and the tank or between the tank and the house. Is there any vacuum breaker on the line to the waste dump? Do you have cut on & cut off switches in the fresh water tank? Did you buy this as a package or did you put the pieces together yourself?

Thanks again.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Nice! x2.

How do you handle the tank being full? Does the RO filter cycle? Or is it always on?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Impressive setup. Do you have dual RO membranes? I assume the filter down next to the RO housings is a final filter. Is it between the RO and the tank or between the tank and the house. Is there any vacuum breaker on the line to the waste dump? Do you have cut on & cut off switches in the fresh water tank? Did you buy this as a package or did you put the pieces together yourself?

Thanks again.
"Do you have dual RO membranes?
Yes, I do have dual 75gpday RO membranes. The second is behind the front one.

"I assume the filter down next to the RO housings is a final filter"
The filter to the left of the ROs is the original house filter. It is still usable if I were to run off the camp water.

"Is there any vacuum breaker on the line to the waste dump?"
No, however I only dump the holding tanks with the RO system running so there's no chance of any backflow.

"Do you have cut on & cut off switches in the fresh water tank?"
Yes, I only have one cutoff float which I installed in the tank. It was recommended that I install 2 floats (one "on" and the other "stop") but I wanted to keep the water level as high as possible so I opted for a stop switch only. Works well for me.

All of this was purchased from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and Rick is owner. A really good guy. He has several packages and is easy to work with. However, if you are knowledgeable you could put this system together yourself.

I opted to add the 120psi boost pump which really kicks up the output. This system can be run without it, you just get a slower recovery rate.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Nice! x2.

How do you handle the tank being full? Does the RO filter cycle? Or is it always on?
I installed a Float Switch in the tank that cuts the RO Booster Pump off when full.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #37
Commercial Member

We use a Zero Water Ion Exchange system at home and on the road for drinking water and other uses.

ZEROWATER Water Filters Drinking Purification Filtration

Highly recommended!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #38

Thank You for the picture. Quite an impressive system. Do you have any type of air filter on the vent to the tank? Atmospheric tanks (open vented tanks) are very susceptible to bacteria and algae growth, especially in warm water. When installing a whole house reverse osmosis system, we always have to install some type of recirculating sanitation system normally using Ozone to prevent bacteria growth. Did I misunderstand when you said "cost $200. Was it $200 for the install or did the system cost $200?
I use a reverse osmosis system at the Kitchen sink with a separate faucet for pure water and a Kinetico dual tank non electric water softener I built into the coach with a large canister type carbon prefilter. At some campgrounds I have been in, that prefilter will plug in two weeks with sediment or oxidized iron, but normally I change it twice a year. Great system, but was considerable more than $200 and I am a Kinetico dealer. www.Kinetico.com, www.atlanticcoastwater.com
Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Atmospheric tanks (open vented tanks) are very susceptible to bacteria and algae growth, especially in warm water. When installing a whole house reverse osmosis system, we always have to install some type of recirculating sanitation system normally using Ozone to prevent bacteria growth. www.Kinetico.com, www.atlanticcoastwater.com
Give or take, in 85 degree weather, how frequently should a tank of water be drained, sanitized, and refilled (assuming campground water for refill) ?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #40

Obviously someone has put a lot of thought into this system. This system should work fine to produce a good quality water. As a licensed business and plumber I am required to use products that have been tested and approved by NSF (or a similar certified testing lab) and install them according to national plumbing codes. In an earlier post someone ask about the drain and if it had a check valve. Code would not only require a check valve but an "air gap" connection to prevent the possibility of any sewer gas or other sewer contaminates from backing up into the system. Also, a recirculating sanitation system on the holding tank would be necessary. I understand that "plumbing codes" can be a pain, but normally there is a legitimate reason for the code.
To answer your question, I believe this system is capable of producing pure water and probably enough water for a couple, but might have trouble keeping up with a family. I would have concerns about keeping the water free of bacteria and other organic growth when the holding tank is open to the atmosphere and has no method of keeping the water free from airborne contamination.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:01 AM   #41

Good question. If you were going to breed a bacteria, you would want to have warm damp conditions. Where does mildew grow? Usually in the shower first. Warm damp conditions are ideal conditions for most bacteria.

There is no definite answer to how often, because air quality and conditions are not constant. But to be safe, I believe I would sanitize it monthly when in use.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #42

Could someone reccomend a good whole house 2x10 replacement filter?
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water