Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #1

What do you have on the sink faucet to filter water?

Im looking for whos using what as far as at the fawcet filter. Is it worth getting a filter from exterior spigot to just into coach if I have a house filter on already? I'm not looking to go overboard cost wise.
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

If you already have a house filter, why would you want to add another? Is the water still tasting bad?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
If you already have a house filter, why would you want to add another? Is the water still tasting bad?

Just looking to be on the safe side, I figured it wouldn't cost a lot.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

Pur filter
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Pur filter
Does it impede the water flow much?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #6

No not really
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #7

I have used one on the last mh which i ran for for 10 years. What i do is remove the filter at the end of each trip and put it in my home freezer after shaking the water out until the next trip. It has worked for me.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Im looking for whos using what as far as at the fawcet filter. Is it worth getting a filter from exterior spigot to just into coach if I have a house filter on already? I'm not looking to go overboard cost wise.
Simplest and cheapest is just double up on your current whole house filter. You can plumb two filter housings together and the filters are relatively cheap and available. The most common configuration is a sediment filter first and a carbon filter second.

Go here for ideas:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Just looking to be on the safe side, I figured it wouldn't cost a lot.
We have a really nice filter in ours and don't see needing anything else, but we do drink bottled water. It's kinda silly we drink bottle water because we have a residential fridge with a water dispenser that also has a filter. In our past RVs we always installed a Camco Tastepure on the shore water inlet. As other have mentioned you could use one of the filters that screw on your faucet. It may reduce the water flow a little bit, but should be okay.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

We have some sort of inline filter similar to a whole-house filter plumbed to its own spigot. From years of living with some really awful city water in some parts of FL, I have found the PUR filters to consistently be the best for the faucet screw-on type or pitchers.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

I use two filters to remover all the sediment from the water systems. One on the hose and one in the main filter .
Camco 40042 TastePURE KDF RV Water Filter - 4 pack
Camco 40621 EVO Premium RV Water Filter
What is curious to me is that I don't need these filters at home and lots of campgrounds are on city water so why do I need filters anyway? Without the filters the ice from the fridge always has sediment in it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I use two filters to remover all the sediment from the water systems. One on the hose and one in the main filter .
Camco 40042 TastePURE KDF RV Water Filter - 4 pack
Camco 40621 EVO Premium RV Water Filter
What is curious to me is that I don't need these filters at home and lots of campgrounds are on city water so why do I need filters anyway? Without the filters the ice from the fridge always has sediment in it.
I'm tring to figure out where everybody is getting their water from. Most campgrounds I've been to are on either city or well water. At home I don't filter my water, why on my MH? If I'm boondocking my holding tank always contains fresh water (I will drain the tank before filling). Also I never drink water from my holding tank.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #13

I use the pur inline water filter on my water hose. This way when I fill the holding tank that is also filtered prior to entering the RV. Also have under the sink filter but have not bought a refill filter and haven't really needed it.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Long Post!

This is a subject I'm pretty passionate about.

I agree with the previous poster that the PUR faucet system is probably the least expensive. The next best system, IMHO, would be the secondary small faucet added by the kitchen sink with an under the counter filter. This can also be plumbed into your ice-maker.

After 12 years of RVing with 4 different MHs we nearly full-time now, I have experienced lots of different water quality around the country, with northern Indiana being one of the worst (my daughter lives there.) So, my first attempt to solve this problem was to install a triple canister filtration system. This included two canister filters in the water Bay (10 & 2 micron) that filtered water going into the freshwater tank, plus the small faucet and filter system in the kitchen. The carbon filter did a good job addressing the varying tastes of the water at the kitchen sink. However, the dual cartridge system did little for the minerals and rust in the water. So toilets, showers and sinks everywhere needed constant cleaning.

Nine months ago, at the advice of a friend, I installed a whole house Reverse Osmosis system that fed into the freshwater tank. This was purchased from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and included a three canister filter system (10 & 2 micron plus a carbon filter) and a single RO membrane canister. I had to tap into the freshwater supply, the freshwater tank fill line and the sewer discharge line. The total install took me about three hours and cost about $200.

The results were amazing! We now get highly filtered and consistent tasting water everywhere. With the minerals and rust removed we get no spots or film formation on the toilets, the sinks, the showers, dishwasher or dishes. So everything stays much cleaner. I now wash the motorhome using the RO water and no longer have to dry it. A big time savings! I plan on replacing all of the filters yearly which will cost me about $100. But that's a small price to pay for awesome water!

There is one downside. If you regularly boondock for a long time, this system will not be very helpful. You have to be connected to a water supply and sewer system for the system to properly operate.

If anyone is interested I will be glad to post photographs of my system.

Tags
water