Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
That's one of the reasons we bought what we did. We wanted the bath and a half, and due to having that the TV configuration is perfect. The TV is mounted on the outside wall of the half bath, right over the fireplace and directly across from the L-shaped couch, pretty much at eye level while sitting. So it is much like sitting in your living room. It also pulls out and swivels so that if you wanted to, you could comfortably watch TV while sitting in the dinette. Another nice thing about how it is set up is while traveling the kids can sit seat belted on the couch and watch TV. We don't have a TV mounted over the Drivers area, it was an option but it didn't make sense to us.

Our TV in the bedroom is also mounted on the wall at the end of the bed, directly in the middle, between the closets. So it is very easy to watch while laying in bed, and you don't have to look to one side or the other. Another thing to consider when looking at floorplans.

Our outside TV is mounted on the side of the MH, mid level, rather than down in one of the bays. It makes it really comfortable to sit in a camp chair outside watching TV. We didn't think we would use it that much, but we really use it a lot and it is a nice feature to have. There are trade offs to everything when picking floorplans but you can find ones that work better for you, and you will be real comfortable in.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #16
Mike, this is no place for sanity! We're after the 90 degree-er's and how they explain themselves? Having some fun here at their expense of course. But also hoped at the same time someone knew something I missed!

WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #17
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, we looked a Damon product a few weeks ago, not to buy just curious to see what the interior looked like. Anyway the tv was in the kitchen next to the cooktop, maybe 3-4" above and to the left. So you can melt it while boiling water or splatter onto it, and while you are cooking no one else can use the TV since your body is partially blocking it. Its obvious to me the designers who create these have never used one.
2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40PKD
with Residential refrigerator conversion
2014 Jeep Wrangler in tow, M&G brake system
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Great viewing position for watching TV plus having king size bed and stacked W/D were our main concerns when we were looking for a new coach back in 2012. We found those three items, plus a tag axle, two bathrooms, fireplace, and dish washer to boot in our present Phaeton.

You just need to be patient and look until you find just the right one for you.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I just wanted to know if anyone had an answer to the 90 degree delema?
I'd watch TV on my IPad instead. I'd dump the TV on the wall and hang a nice print or something.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
I also eliminate any floor plans where the TV is not directly across from the couch (my husband laughs at me). It is a requirement in my mind!!!
loricofne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Wow, a lady motorhome-er, welcome to the discussion!

You get it don't you! The purpose of TV viewing is relaxation and comfort and side viewing is neither of those two things. You don't set up your home TV at a 90 degree angle, so why have it in your motorhome?

If I have a point it's that it seems as though 80% of the coaches out there are this way. Maybe some bought theirs that way because that's what was out there and you liked the rest of the coach?

If I have a point of irritarion its that I see some great floor plans that I'd really like to have and then they place the TV in Never-Never land... Sheesh!
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
Not to mention, we are movie buffs and have a big collection. Shutting the lights out, making some popcorn and loading up a movie is one of our favorite things to do. Some of these floorplans make no sense.

Sounds like we need a campaign #rvtheater #notwistedtvs #myneckhurts
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #23
We built an entertainment across from the couch. Remove the one over the front cab.
It's your coach, do with it as you like
Dale&Susan, 08 Alfa Gold, DaGirlsRv,
08 Jeep Liberty_Solar_940W Solar_660 AmpHr
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
The TV is just one of the many weird things we see in RV's. Slides that come in so tight as to make a trip to the bathroom impossible even for a mountain goat. Bunk house RV's that can sleep 6 but feed 2 is another great example of HUH???

It seems like every current RV manufacturer has the TV at a 90 degree angle for everyone but someone in the driver's seat. The logic is impossible to understand. Some tried to correct the issue with the L shaped couch which many complain is similar to sitting on a concrete block. Sometimes I think that all RV designers should be forced to live in their designs and see who livable they really are.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #25
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The TV is just one of the many weird things we see in RV's.
I agree, a TV in a RV is a weird thing. Mine has four, which is utterly ridiculous, but I bought what was in stock; I wouldn't care if it had no TVs.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #26
Thor Owners Club
I completely agree that some of the floor plans were designed by a circus contortionists. Even when we were looking at models, there were several we passed on because they were not ergonomic.

On that note, if you find a floor plan you like except for the location of the television, you can always add a mounting bracket on the back of the TV. This won't or shouldn't involve any major RV modifications and give you the flexibility to position the TV for your best viewing pleasure and comfort no matter your location in the RV.

Erich & Irina
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX
2016 Ford Focus
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #27
I can't help it, I'm going to pile on to this one. I have what just turned into a vintage class 1996 Itasca Sunrise and the front TV was just a worthless head banger and the corner shelf in the bedroom for the original mini TV was just as bad. I'm in the "TV in the RV" is just strange group anyway so I completely removed the front TV and cut out the metal mounting plate and brackets and covered the opening with Oak veneer plywood. Looks great and makes it so much easier to get in and out of the front seats. I also removed the corner shelf in the bedroom, another head banger.

No TV but we have a portable DVD player and a laptop that work just fine and can be stored out of sight in an instant. Not what you wanted to hear but it certainly is a hassle free alternative.

Good luck!
FrankenHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
We like the TV at the bedroom end because it can be at roughly eye level and can be seen from the couch, front seats and half the dinette. The over the fireplace is nice if one has a long enough unit to support the floor plan. The TV in the kitchen messes up the kitchen space that is already too small. Mounted in a Credenza dining table setup is not bad. Overhead dead center is about the dumbest place it can be put! Cannot be seen from the front seats or the couch behind the driver. If it's got to be in front put it over the passenger seat on a fold down mount so it drops to eye level.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

class a