Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

What do you know about this Class A Pain in the Neck?

I’m curious how you do it in a diesel or gas coach? I’m retired in search of my first motorhome with a neck and shoulders less flexible than younger years. OK you got me, an entire body less flexible than younger years. For this reasons I have a question, a question that will sound like I’m just being a smart aleck but a serious question non the less.

There are many floor plans with a living area I like that I have to discount because of the location of the TV’s. One requires you to turn your head 90 degrees one way while the other (over the cockpit) requires you to turn your head 90 degrees the other way and look up!

My head and neck are positioned on my body similar to most folks I see out and about, so here’s my question. Other than laying down, hopefully on a couch, how do you watch TV without straining your neck? I find the 90 degree turn to be unnatural and eventually painful so how do you do it because I’m obviously missing something? I know you can turn your body partly in that direction but that’s just as uncomfortable!

I’ve never been in a home where people put their TV’s in such places so how do you deal with it with your motorhome? Seriously, I’d like to know because there are some floor plans that I really like that I can’t consider because of the placement of the TV’s! I’d really like a good answer if there is one?

Thanks folks
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what we did about our pain in the neck!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My wife laughs at me because in our shopping I immediately ignore any floorplan with a twisted TV setup - makes no sense to me at all! So I'm interested to hear the responses.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
My wife laughs at me because in our shopping I immediately ignore any floorplan with a twisted TV setup - makes no sense to me at all! So I'm interested to hear the responses.

Mark, one of these days your wife will appreciate how wise you are!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Removed 1 couch and added a large, comfy, swivel recliner for me and removed the dining table so hubby's Relax-the-Back electric recliner would fit there. We can now face the TV without issue.
Added bonus....no place for more than 1 overnight guest
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mark, one of these days your wife will appreciate how wise you are!
I need to make sure she reads that!
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #7

If you have looked at many of the newer floor plans you see that the TV has been moved to the slide out, either in place of or behind one of the sofas. Sometimes on a lift up mechanism that drops out of sight when not needed. Ours is overhead but when I replaced the TV I used an articulating mount that allows some side movement for a better viewing angle from the sofa. We have a desk unit instead of the second sofa so a lightweight recliner is placed in the center area for direct viewing. Not the best and it would be a factor in our next rig but there are very few options.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I’m curious how you do it in a diesel or gas coach? I’m retired in search of my first motorhome with a neck and shoulders less flexible than younger years. OK you got me, an entire body less flexible than younger years. For this reasons I have a question, a question that will sound like I’m just being a smart aleck but a serious question non the less.

There are many floor plans with a living area I like that I have to discount because of the location of the TV’s. One requires you to turn your head 90 degrees one way while the other (over the cockpit) requires you to turn your head 90 degrees the other way and look up!

My head and neck are positioned on my body similar to most folks I see out and about, so here’s my question. Other than laying down, hopefully on a couch, how do you watch TV without straining your neck? I find the 90 degree turn to be unnatural and eventually painful so how do you do it because I’m obviously missing something? I know you can turn your body partly in that direction but that’s just as uncomfortable!

I’ve never been in a home where people put their TV’s in such places so how do you deal with it with your motorhome? Seriously, I’d like to know because there are some floor plans that I really like that I can’t consider because of the placement of the TV’s! I’d really like a good answer if there is one?

Thanks folks
There are several floor plans from several manufacturers that have the entertainment center behind either the driver or passenger seat angled so it is easy to see from across the coach. Our Winnebago Voyage 38 J has such a floor plan, and the floor plan was the biggest reason we bought this coach.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I would agree with removing the couch and adding a recliner strategically positioned if TV is your main recreation.

We have mounted our TV on an articulated arm so she can adjust the angle somewhat. The J Couch functions like a recliner somewhat.

I only use TV for sports viewing at certain times of the year so just adjust to whatever angle.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Some very good and creative ideas. But I don't think anyone wants to buy a new or a new used coach with the intent to renovate for a TV. Yes, some do have the TV behind a sofa or on an elevator. But I'm talking about the floor plan without that.

So far no good answers for neck strain, just crazy coach builders! Oops, and buyers! 😄😄
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
While it IS an inconvenience on the days we stay in...
we actually are out and about most of the time when rv'ing and let the dvr record and we can watch it (if we want to) when we get home on the 70 inch 4k 3D over the fireplace
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Here's a perfect example of a Newmar 40' gas coach model 3953. Great coach but look where the TV is back by the 1/2 bath. Crazy! Then they snuck in a recliner right behind the passenger seat so that seat will not even turn. Designed by a crazy person!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA_3953.png
Views:	185
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	134161
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #13

There are some floorplans that are common/similar across manufacturers, like a 38K. You didn't say if your interests are in new or used. Newer units have some interesting changes in TV placement and size. One option is also the outside entertainment features...you can place your seat dead on in front assuming you are comfortable outside. The front center top placement is getting to be fewer and fewer. The kids may have the best deal in the bunk arrangements.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Hi Big, I have two Newmar gassers that fit the bill. The 3710 and the 3902. Both have mid coach salons with TV and fireplace in front of couch. Great plan and I'll buy one of them. I just wanted to know if anyone had an answer to the 90 degree delema?

Tags
class a