Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
What Do You Think

I need an ac gasket replaced on my Dometic AC, the gasket cost is 22.50 and a Mobile RV outfit quoted me 270 bucks to come do it. Do you think this is a bit too much??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Replaced one of those when we had a 94 Jaco fiver. Very easy and did most of it from inside the rig. About one hour job. Maybe harder on your rig though.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I need an ac gasket replaced on my Dometic AC, the gasket cost is 22.50 and a Mobile RV outfit quoted me 270 bucks to come do it. Do you think this is a bit too much??
sounds kind of steep to me
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

My front A/C was intermittently switching to heat pump. I at least went up on the roof and pulled the cover to look for the obvious, even though I have no experience with these Duo-Therm units. In a hurry, I called for help.

The technician came out and cleaned the plug/socket on the reversing valve. Charged me $160. Time is money and most all mobile techs are charging at least $90 per hour, including travel time. Camping World shop time is $119 per hour. If you cannot fix things yourself, then you better get used to it.

My New Year's resolution is going to be...at least try to fix everything myself and only pay somebody else as a last resort.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
My New Year's resolution is going to be...at least try to fix everything myself and only pay somebody else as a last resort.
lol, that is not a new year solution, it should be everyday solution we have been diying all the time...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I always figure it was broke before I started working on it. there is so much info on the web I can usually find helpful advice to fix the problem.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
These gaskets rarely fail. If they leak, it is usually because the gasket has compacted from bouncing down the road. Have you tried tightening the four bolts that hold it down.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
These gaskets rarely fail. If they leak, it is usually because the gasket has compacted from bouncing down the road. Have you tried tightening the four bolts that hold it down.
In August we got hit with a rain storm that has to be one of the worst I have ever been in at Mesquite, NV. This was the first time the ac leaked. I tightened it up and had no more leaks the next day when we hit more heavy rain. The current leak is here at home and I tightened up the bolts again but they are as tight as they can go. Don't want to wait with snow on the roof to see if the gasket will work. The gasket has been in place since she was made in the summer of 2001.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Joe--are you hesitant to try the fix yourself? You might try it and if it doesn't go well, call the mobile tech. (I know my limitations, so I would be scraping up the $$.)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

At least an hour of labor, maybe 1.5 hours, plus travel time, so call it two hours? Seems like $200-$225 ought to cover it. Ask them to break the quote down into labor, travel and parts. And what labor rate they charge. Some regions have much higher labor rates than others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Could be minimum rate plus how far is the bloke driving ( portal to portal and back again maybe)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

If you are physically able to get up on the roof, you should be able to do it yourself. I would remove the ac cover usually 4 screws up on the roof. That is just insurance that in moving the unit around it doesn't get broken.

Then the four bolts from the inside, course removing the trim, unplugging a couple of wire harnesses, remove the old gasket, clean and inspect the gasket surface and then reinstall the new gasket. Should be a piece of cake.

Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
If you are physically able to get up on the roof, you should be able to do it yourself.

Happy trails
Jim
Yeah Jim, I'm physically able to get on the roof but I have a problem with heights. Even in 61 at Boot Camp my DI Sgt Rosencrans told me on those logs that go up at an angle and then straight up to Heaven that if I didn't get my something something over he was coming up and kick the #%^&(*^%# out of me and then drop me. I went up and over and being ole Rosy I went up and over a bunch more. Where's Sgt Rosencrans when I need him.
Being serious now, I called a friend at an RV shop and she goes in Weds for 115 bucks. And I thought the Mobile guys were reasonable, DUH ME.

BTW, Semper Fi brother.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Yeah Jim, I'm physically able to get on the roof but I have a problem with heights. Even in 61 at Boot Camp my DI Sgt Rosencrans told me on those logs that go up at an angle and then straight up to Heaven that if I didn't get my something something over he was coming up and kick the #%^&(*^%# out of me and then drop me. I went up and over and being ole Rosy I went up and over a bunch more. Where's Sgt Rosencrans when I need him.
Being serious now, I called a friend at an RV shop and she goes in Weds for 115 bucks. And I thought the Mobile guys were reasonable, DUH ME.

BTW, Semper Fi brother.
For removing the AC, cleaning the gasket area and replacing the gasket,removing the wiring and reinstalling the wiring and AC, Plus duct work, 115 dollars is a good price.