Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #1

Smile What do you think about a 37 ft Harney coach works diesel pusher for 29 K with 32K mi

Hello,

I have put an offer on a Harney coach works renegade 1999 deisel pusher. I am worried as I have not seen alot about this motorhome on the internet and it appears the company has gone out of bussiness. I assume that after market parts could be ordered if needed. Does anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions? I need to be under 30 K for this first time rv buyer.

Thank you so much in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to irv2!

Our first coach was a 2000 Harney Renegade DP, the last year (I believe ) that they were in business. They used a proprietary chassis and (mine at least) had mechanical brakes. It took both feet standing on the brake to slow it down in a panic stop. NOT a good thing.

Run, do not walk away from this rig. We had nothing but problems with ours and dumped it a year later for a Newmar Kountry Star. Best move we ever made.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by somjones View Post
Hello,

I have put an offer on a Harney coach works renegade 1999 deisel pusher. I am worried as I have not seen alot about this motorhome on the internet and it appears the company has gone out of bussiness. I assume that after market parts could be ordered if needed. Does anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions? I need to be under 30 K for this first time rv buyer.

There is a good 'reason' it has such few miles.... RUN AWAY.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with this particular coach but

Best of luck !

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I remember them when they first appeared and their demise.

I'm with Doc. Pass on it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
maybe at 1/2 of that price......

ken
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #7

Thank you all for your insight! Yes I think it is just to good to be true.... I really like the safari motorhomes, and have heard good things, maybe I will go for that!!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you all for your insight! Yes I think it is just to good to be true.... I really like the safari motorhomes, and have heard good things, maybe I will go for that!!
Safari's where good coaches, the older ones had rubber ride susp, and juice (fluid) brakes, and they 2 are no longer. Suspension parts are hard to find, as well as finding a shop with the ability to work on them. I might suggest looking on the Safari Forums before you purchase one. Safari like some of the other older coaches can be a challange to find parts and service for. Just like anything else it's not going to get any better as they get older especally since to company is no longer. Good hunting
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with bbeane - Safari is another orphan (one of many from the downturn a few years ago). No parent, no corporate knowledge and MUCH harder to find parts.

My 2 cents? Stick with a brand that is still active, and respected.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
An older dp on a 30k budget, i'd also look for something from a mainstream manufacturer, fleetwood or winnebago I think.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #11

Harney DON'T BUY IT I OWN A 2000 HARNEY FROM THE 1ST. OWNER IT HAS BEEN TROUBLE

THE 1st owner had trouble from the start . I was lied to and have talk to other owner of this coach. if you want to email me sneice002@aol.com I will give you my phone # By an Allegro .
Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #12

Soo many older good coaches available, even at the price point your are shooting for. Do you have a need for heavy towing, and thus the DP looking? Recent thread on High End Gas vs Lower End DP (Or close to that heading.) Has many opinions on the virtues of both...

At that price point, you can get a bit newer and find more of a selection of gas coaches then only DP.

In that thread, before the OP repeated his Buy New approach to things, I suggested buying higher up the food chain in a DP, by dropping years to stay within budget.

With your price point, unless you really need a DP for some reason, I'd reverse this. Stay with a 99 F53 chassis or newer, or if a Work Horse, be sure the brake recall was done. Could even get a gas unit at that price point with one slide.

But, if it is to be a DP. Here are some examples of coaches. (I searched up to $35K, as asking price does not mean selling price!):

2001 Tiffin Motorhomes Alegro Diesel 35rb, Canoga Park - 111419434 - RVTrader.com

1999 Fleetwood Discovery 37v, Swansea MA - 111810453 - RVTrader.com

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 39z, Chico CA - 111427148 - RVTrader.com

1995 Fleetwood 36ft Diesel, tazewell TN - 111838266 - RVTrader.com

In general, shop Good Condition with DOCUMENTED RECORDS over miles. I'd rather have a well cared for 100K DP of a good quality builder, then a low miles with no or non complete documentation of care.

Note I included a higher quality Foretravel in this sampling. Sure, no slides, but Foretravel's are good coaches, and I would not be afraid of a well cared for (WITH DOCUMENTATION) older high quality coach.

Opinions will vary!

Take your time, and research what makes a good coach a good coach.

Also, welcome - and best of luck on your hunt!
Smitty
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

Harney Coach was founded by one of Matt Perolt's sons. Matt was the founder of Safari, that was bought by Monaco after Matt took Safari public (from a privately owned company). My memory is that a lot of the Harney design is the same as Safari. Of course, in addition to Harney, Safari is also an Orphan brand; first from the original company, then when produced by Monaco.

Not sure if Harney used an industry chassis like Freightliner (where parts may still be available), or if they used the proprietary Safari Magnum chassis of which parts might be harder to find.

Quote:
Hello,

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Soo many older good coaches available, even at the price point your are shooting for. Do you have a need for heavy towing, and thus the DP looking? Recent thread on High End Gas vs Lower End DP (Or close to that heading.) Has many opinions on the virtues of both...

At that price point, you can get a bit newer and find more of a selection of gas coaches then only DP.

In that thread, before the OP repeated his Buy New approach to things, I suggested buying higher up the food chain in a DP, by dropping years to stay within budget.

With your price point, unless you really need a DP for some reason, I'd reverse this. Stay with a 99 F53 chassis or newer, or if a Work Horse, be sure the brake recall was done. Could even get a gas unit at that price point with one slide.

But, if it is to be a DP. Here are some examples of coaches. (I searched up to $35K, as asking price does not mean selling price!):

2001 Tiffin Motorhomes Alegro Diesel 35rb, Canoga Park - 111419434 - RVTrader.com

1999 Fleetwood Discovery 37v, Swansea MA - 111810453 - RVTrader.com

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 39z, Chico CA - 111427148 - RVTrader.com

1995 Fleetwood 36ft Diesel, tazewell TN - 111838266 - RVTrader.com

In general, shop Good Condition with DOCUMENTED RECORDS over miles. I'd rather have a well cared for 100K DP of a good quality builder, then a low miles with no or non complete documentation of care.

Note I included a higher quality Foretravel in this sampling. Sure, no slides, but Foretravel's are good coaches, and I would not be afraid of a well cared for (WITH DOCUMENTATION) older high quality coach.

Opinions will vary!

Take your time, and research what makes a good coach a good coach.

Also, welcome - and best of luck on your hunt!
Smitty
Good advice a lot of choices. The tiffin is a well known brand and you can call tiffin questions.

Tags
diesel