Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

What do you think about the 2017 Winnebago Forza 38W

I was talking with a guy today who is buying a new Winnebago Forza 38W. I didn't think I knew the floorpan until he mentioned its a bunkhouse plan that replaced the 38R.

I mentioned the Forest River Berkshire and he said "yah but that's another $20,000.00". That frankly surprised me because they're both entry level coaches. It's funny how you don't see that many posts on Winnebago and their the oldest label out there right?

What do you guys think of the Forza? I must admit I know little about it!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

The Forza 38W is my wife's favorite coach.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #3

Could you elaborate on that? Why does she like it so much? I ask that because no coaches, IMHO, are more alike in floor plan than the bunkhouse.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Could you elaborate on that? Why does she like it so much? I ask that because no coaches, IMHO, are more alike in floor plan than the bunkhouse.
Some of the bath and a half models have a half bath that is not at all ergonomic. This half bath on the Forza 38R is quite spacious and designed well. The 38W has the same space and design, plus, another shower.

The bunks of the R are quite versatile - good sized bunk beds, the bottom bunk becomes a lovely office table, both beds can be used nicely for storage, or raise the top bunk to make room for a hanging closet. However, the W does not have the desk option - just fixed in place bunks. W decided to eliminate the Schwintek mechanism that raises and lowers the top bunk. However (again), the W has the bunk above the drivers seat. And, we asked W about putting in just the bottom bunk that could be configured as a table and two seats, like the R, and we received a positive response.

One of her must haves is a booth dinette. Score one for Forza.

Gas stove. Score.

Queen bed - we both hate king beds.

Washer/dryer a plus.

Not too big - can go places. Not too small - plenty of room.

It's about the least costly diesel pusher and good deals can be had.

Lots of storage underneath.

And now, with the W, noticeably more floor space.

We don't like floor plans that have the refrigerator near the bed. Score for Forza.

There are a lot of bunk floor plans, but we don't see one very similar to this one.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

Thank's Peterson, I never thought about the location of the refrig by the bed but the noise could be annoying couldn't it?

Have you actually seen the 38W? I'm curious about its fit and finish?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank's Peterson, I never thought about the location of the refrig by the bed but the noise could be annoying couldn't it?

Have you actually seen the 38W? I'm curious about its fit and finish?
We have not seen a W in person though they are on the streets now. I would guess the f and f is the same as the R. We're probably going to be owners once our house sells.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #7

My first post here in the forums.

We just purchased a Forza 38W - we fly up to Utah later this week and plan to drive it back down to Southern Califorina.

Took us thousands of hours to figure out which coach would be best for us. Started out with the Discovery 40G -then progressed down the price range even looking at gas Allegro 38UA. Looked at used, new, gas, etc.

Pretty much decided on the Forest River Berkshire 38A and even put a deposit down on one.

But we checked out quality / fit and finish of some 34T's in person - and we really felt it was the best of everything.

Never seen the inside of the 38W - but have been in a 38R (too small with no opposing slide)

All the following (in no particular order) made the 38W our #1 choice.

Driftwood Interior - looks more modern and different than every other coach out there.
Bunks
Over the Cab Bunk - (hard to find Diesels that have the over the cab bunk AND regular bunks)
Two full baths!
Continuous Hot Water.
Diesel
Fireplace
Large LCD tv screen.
Winnebago reputation / quality / history. (watch their video with their factory tour)

Wish it had a bigger engine with 10,000lb towing capacity.

We got ours for under 200K out the door - so you can't get everything and stay at that price point.

I don't know if I will get a single night of good sleep this week as we are so excited to take delivery.
jesseasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

Hi jesseasi

Your first post is a good one! The Berkshire 38A is a good looking coach and costs almost $20,000 more. So that is high praise for the Forza for sure.

Would you come back and tell us how your trip home went?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Hi jesseasi

Your first post is a good one! The Berkshire 38A is a good looking coach and costs almost $20,000 more. So that is high praise for the Forza for sure.

Would you come back and tell us how your trip home went?
For sure - I look forward to being part of this community.

However - MSRP does not really mean anything. I was able to get a 2017 Berkshire 38A 10K less than the Winnebago 38W. Then I ended up paying 18K more than the 38A just to get the exact color / feature combination we wanted. There are not many 38W's out there yet so dealers don't have to get as aggressive.

I don't know what the etiquette is around when it comes to listing what things cost. But hopefully my numbers make sense.

For us - after being in both the Berkshire 38A and 2017 Winnebago's (34T) and older Forza 38R models - we just felt the overall "feeling" was that Forza was better.

Feature wise - maybe the Berk has more to offer. I like the double doors in the basement with the big pull out tray. I like the doors on the bunk beds with strong magnets to keep them in place. I much preferred the driver setup and instrument cluster.

I really can't say which is honestly better. We just really like the Forza fit and finish and I don't think we will be disappointed by the 38W in person.
jesseasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseasi View Post
My first post here in the forums.

We just purchased a Forza 38W - we fly up to Utah later this week and plan to drive it back down to Southern Califorina.

Took us thousands of hours to figure out which coach would be best for us. Started out with the Discovery 40G -then progressed down the price range even looking at gas Allegro 38UA. Looked at used, new, gas, etc.

Pretty much decided on the Forest River Berkshire 38A and even put a deposit down on one.

But we checked out quality / fit and finish of some 34T's in person - and we really felt it was the best of everything.

Never seen the inside of the 38W - but have been in a 38R (too small with no opposing slide)

All the following (in no particular order) made the 38W our #1 choice.

Driftwood Interior - looks more modern and different than every other coach out there.
Bunks
Over the Cab Bunk - (hard to find Diesels that have the over the cab bunk AND regular bunks)
Two full baths!
Continuous Hot Water.
Diesel
Fireplace
Large LCD tv screen.
Winnebago reputation / quality / history. (watch their video with their factory tour)

Wish it had a bigger engine with 10,000lb towing capacity.

We got ours for under 200K out the door - so you can't get everything and stay at that price point.

I don't know if I will get a single night of good sleep this week as we are so excited to take delivery.
We looked at a 38R, then the 2008 Itasca Ellipse 40WD that we ended up purchasing. My wife and I loved the 38R, and surely will like the 38W more, however I can't have the ISB motor. I have large toads (4wd Escalade & Ram 2500 Megacab w/ a Cummins), and also a 24' enclosed trailer that approaches 8,000 lbs when loaded. Even if I could deal with what I consider to be an underpowered coach, the tow rating of 5,090 lbs is not enough for me.

Now, put that that floorplan on a chassis with an ISL, I'll trade my Itasca in tomorrow!
JCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #11

You're right jesseasi, you don't see a lot of prices shown on the forum, percentages but not prices. Probably because most folks don't want to find out they paid too much. Of course some would tell you that you paid too much out of pure meanness.

The best price I've seen on the Berkshire is 38% off sticker price. But that was a year end price and the dealer had 30 of them. Trade, time of year, time of month, all those things tend to play into the actual number?

Glad to have you guys on board, it's a good group! Ok, except for...
Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
What do you think about the 2017 Winnebago Forza 38W

I have a 2011 Winnebago Journey Express 39N with bunk beds, 10,000 lb towing capacity (tow my Chevy Avalanche) that I may be selling soon, although I hate to. Perfect rig, three a/c units, all Samsung HD tv's even outside, etc. My kids are off to college soon and it's just me.

PM me.

Cheers.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We are a family with 3 children (16 and 14 year old twins) and we are very happy with our Forza 34T, especially we like the big u-shaped dinette called inLounge/inTable, which is a great feature for taller people over 6ft for eating inside during bad weather or in winter. As well, we like the big galley. Nevertheless, we are already looking for a bigger rig and due the positive 34T-experience; we look for the Forza 38W.

Positive:
  • Two(!) full bathrooms with showers (a luxury feature you will never miss)
  • A drop-down bed over the cab (a very surprising feature for a coach, which is not a mid-entry coach) and the best place to sleep for tall people beside the queen bed. Ok, if you have to leave the coach during this bed is down, you need to do a small exercise, but we are all in good shape, aren’t we?
  • Enough storage for 5 folding e-bikes, an inflatable motor-boat and inflatable surfboards and the golf equipment.
  • A 100 gallon fresh water tank is an argument!
  • Winnebago offers as a customizing part to install the big u-shape dinette called inLounge/inTable (I don’t know the price for this installation but Winnebago says it’s feasible).
  • And like the 34T you can install a solar-power equipment as well as two additional house batteries (I recommend that if you do dry camping or take the ferry to Alaska).
Negative:
  • Small galley comparing to the 34T (there is no space for the countertop dishwasher or a coffee machine….)
  • Winnebago builds in sleeping possibilities for 9 persons but offers this small dinette where a maximum of two robust adults can take place (how they do if it’s raining or even snowing?)…… so ask for a bigger dinette…
  • The bunk beds are nice for small children but for taller teenagers the length is limit. The bunks should be 7” longer.
  • The same weak point like the 34T has: This small 6.2” radio/rearview monitor unit is a useless fuzzy thing. You need to install a separate split screen monitor for the rearview and side cameras (just for saying...)
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #14

Good luck on your purchase. Since you are traveling a long way to pick up your new RV, I strongly suggest you make absolutely sure to the maximum extent possible that everything in that new coach has been checked out to be positively working properly before you get there. And that means that lazy dealer has to do his pre-sale job that he is very handsomely paid to do by Winnebago and you.
Winnebago's build quality of their COACH is abysmal.
I would personally call the dealership general manager and the salesman and remind them that the coach has to be completely checked out by being driven and every single component turned on/off, slides, jacks, awnings, all lights, switches, TV's and other electrical appliances and components, everything checked to make sure they work properly. That means water in the water tank, propane in the propane tank, tires aired. The fit/finish of the exterior including painting, roof sealant and compartment doors. Everything. And then when you get there do the same. Start by driving the vehicle for at least 10-15 miles. Check how it handles, brakes, use the exhaust brake. Then look over the exterior of the coach and finally the interior starting with jacks, slides, awnings, appliances all working properly, then all electronics working properly and then lights, switches, generator. Use every single function the rv has that can be used by you. What you want to do is confirm that the rv is fixed before you pay and leave the dealership. Good luck.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago