Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #15

If you pay more than $99k ($142k x .70) you are throwing that money away. You will also likely take an 18% to 20% hit in depreciation the first year. How about the sales tax you paid? How about the insurance? How about the interest?

Renting a class A is no better. Why not buy a 6 to 7 year old motorhome that has depreciated around 50% ? At least you will begin by paying sales tax on ony $50k and taking only a 5% to 6% hit on depreciation. Insurance and interest will also be less.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #16

I think most of us would call you crazy, but then again, it depends how much money you are willing to throw away & your untold goal of the trip.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Guy View Post
What more could I say.?????

Okay. Maybe I asked for it, but my question was whether you thought the price was a good deal or not, not whether this was a good idea or not.

I admitted to being crazy, so I didn't need the confirmation.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
If you pay more than $99k ($142k x .70) you are throwing that money away. You will also likely take an 18% to 20% hit in depreciation the first year. How about the sales tax you paid? How about the insurance? How about the interest?

Renting a class A is no better. Why not buy a 6 to 7 year old motorhome that has depreciated around 50% ? At least you will begin by paying sales tax on ony $50k and taking only a 5% to 6% hit on depreciation. Insurance and interest will also be less.
I've thought about that. I've been looking at coaches as old as 2009, but honestly I don't want to go any older than that for several reasons. Also, the L shaped couch is very new and I think 2012 is the first year it became available in this price range from many manufacturers.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
love the "technically" its used disclaimer. Titled = used...no ifs ands or buts!
I mentioned "technically" used because I wanted to point out that it hasn't been used for a trip.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
It is your money and if you can afford to take a year or two to sell it when you get back, and you know you will lose money on the deal and that is OK with you, then go for it. You will probably have a great experience for you and your family. Just don't go in thinking you will not lose money on it. But, if any of us were in this to make money, or not spend money, we would be staying in a sticks and brick and driving our cars to our destinations.
Do you really think it would take a year or two to sell? That's why I'm leaning toward Tiffin and not a less expensive one like the Fleetwood Bounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
With an MSRP of $142,000 the new price should have been $99,400. That's 25% off and usually a good way to figure the selling price. We got 27% off our DSDP.
Is it me or is that math off? I'm getting 106,000+ for 25% off.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I mentioned "technically" used because I wanted to point out that it hasn't been used for a trip.
I have a friend thats a boat broker. He often demos units on the weekends. Yes they are new... but with some use.

As far as resale... best of luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Is it me or is that math off? I'm getting 106,000+ for 25% off.
It is not you, and I was going to point it out as well.

Personally, I think the price is reasonable especially if you can negotiate a little more of a discount. The fact is no matter what you buy by the time you get back you will be selling a used motorhome. If it has a 1000 more miles on it is no big deal.

The floorplan of the 36LA is fantastic and trying to find a used one would be very difficult. It was on my shortlist and one I seriously considered. In the end, I purchased a new Forest River Georgetown 335DS. It has a similar floorplan as the one you looked at and is the best selling Class A gasser in the country. A fully loaded new one can be had for 80K. You might want to take a look at it.

Too bad you didn't post this two months ago. I would have negotiated a deal with you to buy it at the end of your trip.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

One question: How long is your cross country trip going to take?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
Good luck with whatever you decide.

One question: How long is your cross country trip going to take?
Thanks!

Two months, 6000+miles! Literally all the way across, Boston to LA.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #24

I'm not so sure that even your idea is all that crazy! It's been a couple of years since we rented, but we did rent a 32' Class C out of LA a few years back and I seem to remember it was around $2000 p/wk. The real kicker however was the milage charge!

As a result, if you are planning a trip of much more than 4 wks & a couple of thousand miles the difference between renting and owning (depreciation) may not be all that much....but oh man...the hassle factor of buying, licensing, insuring& re-selling would probably be a deal breaker for me.

What about a toad...can't really drive a 36' MH to the corner store for a quart of milk!

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a good deal to me.

You have to remember a bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush. If you BOTH like it, go for it.

You can drive yourself crazy going around trying to beat everybody up on price.

I'm currently at home after open heart surgery so my advice is buy that baby and go see the country. You really don't know what will happen tomorrow so enjoy today.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Sounds like a good deal to me.

You have to remember a bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush. If you BOTH like it, go for it.

You can drive yourself crazy going around trying to beat everybody up on price.

I'm currently at home after open heart surgery so my advice is buy that baby and go see the country. You really don't know what will happen tomorrow so enjoy today.
Thanks for the positive words. Keep thinking that way and you'll have a very speedy recovery! Best of luck and good health to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
What about a toad...can't really drive a 36' MH to the corner store for a quart of milk!
Good luck.
Yeah, that's another thing. Gotta figure that out too!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before you read this thread completely, please excuse yourself, and make some excuse so you may read it privately. This sounds like you want to take this trip in the Mh and really want the MH but you are trying to convince someone else about it. You figure if you go for a long trip and this person sees how much fun it is then this person will be sold on the motorhome, and you can keep it. Am I right or am I right?

If not please disregard this message.... And I'm sorry,,,,
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks!

Two months, 6000+miles! Literally all the way across, Boston to LA.
I am sure you have run the numbers but I am curious, what do you figure this is going to cost; depreciation on the unit, sales tax lost, and anything else? Don't forget you would need all the start up supplies!

I would estimate somewhere in the 20 to 30k range. If you are going now it is off season and you may be able to get a pretty good deal on a rental. One possibility is contact several dealers and ask for a quote. Tell them you are looking to rent one for x weeks and x miles(make sure you are covered) and see how the bids compare to your estimate of net cost with the purchase and resale.

Will the dealer with the 36LA rent it? It may be possible and it would be worth asking. I suspect it would be in the 15k range if they were open to it. With just 6 other similar rentals the unit would be paid for and have 42 thousand miles on it.