Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Before you read this thread completely, please excuse yourself, and make some excuse so you may read it privately. This sounds like you want to take this trip in the Mh and really want the MH but you are trying to convince someone else about it. You figure if you go for a long trip and this person sees how much fun it is then this person will be sold on the motorhome, and you can keep it. Am I right or am I right?

If not please disregard this message.... And I'm sorry,,,,

Ha ha ha! Good guess, and I'm wondering what I've said to make you think this, but no. DH is ready to go(and never reads forums). I'm the "more" practical one who is researching every angle, to be sure it's the right thing. We MAY keep it after, but I guess 6000 miles and 2 months will tell us definitively whether we like the lifestyle. (We did own a Tiffin a few years ago, but never spent so much time in it.)

If anything the person I'm trying to convince is me!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily

Ha ha ha! Good guess, and I'm wondering what I've said to make you think this, but no. DH is ready to go(and never reads forums). I'm the "more" practical one who is researching every angle, to be sure it's the right thing. We MAY keep it after, but I guess 6000 miles and 2 months will tell us definitively whether we like the lifestyle. (We did own a Tiffin a few years ago, but never spent so much time in it.)

If anything the person I'm trying to convince is me!
Well, I was half right, and I totally would do the same thing about 20 years ago....GO FOR IT!

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Well I'm sure you could take a two month vacation traveling accross the country staying in motels for a little bit cheaper, but I bet the fun factor and the memories wouldn;t be near as good.

No matter what or where you go a two month vacation adds up to some serious coin. So do it the way you think will be the most enjoyable and provide the best memories.
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46 View Post
I am sure you have run the numbers but I am curious, what do you figure this is going to cost; depreciation on the unit, sales tax lost, and anything else? Don't forget you would need all the start up supplies!

I would estimate somewhere in the 20 to 30k range. If you are going now it is off season and you may be able to get a pretty good deal on a rental. One possibility is contact several dealers and ask for a quote. Tell them you are looking to rent one for x weeks and x miles(make sure you are covered) and see how the bids compare to your estimate of net cost with the purchase and resale.

Will the dealer with the 36LA rent it? It may be possible and it would be worth asking. I suspect it would be in the 15k range if they were open to it. With just 6 other similar rentals the unit would be paid for and have 42 thousand miles on it.
Renting the 36LA is out of the question. It's a private party who needs the cash.
Upon many of your urging, I just found another rental company that has really nice coaches (not like cruise america) and put in a request for a quote. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
I fully belive Its a buyer market right now. So I'd look, look, and look some more.
Compare that one 2012 used (I think you can get it for less) to
a identacle 2012 New
a identacle 2013 New Are they on the lots yet? If so
I'd consider the new 2012s to bee a year old.

And don't forget to look at other dealers prices.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Well I'm sure you could take a two month vacation traveling accross the country staying in motels for a little bit cheaper, but I bet the fun factor and the memories wouldn;t be near as good.

No matter what or where you go a two month vacation adds up to some serious coin. So do it the way you think will be the most enjoyable and provide the best memories.
Hotels have cooties! Seriously, though, we also have an 85lb dog and 20lb dog to factor in as well. Unfortunately, the two cats and two horses will have to stay home!

I've always wanted to drive across the country. I turn 50 in February. And you're right, however we do it, it's going to cost a good chunk of money, but I know we won't regret it!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as a toad we haven't towed a car in the 9 years of trips we have taken. We always stop and stock up before we get to the campground. If we are in an area where we want to wander and see the sights or whatever we rent a car. You can rent a lot of cars for the price of buying a vehicle, auxiliary braking system, tow bar, base plate and lighting setups. It is also easier on the vehicles involved not to be towed and a lot safer.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I fully belive Its a buyer market right now. So I'd look, look, and look some more.
Compare that one 2012 used (I think you can get it for less) to
a identacle 2012 New
a identacle 2013 New Are they on the lots yet? If so
I'd consider the new 2012s to bee a year old.

And don't forget to look at other dealers prices.
There are NO used or new 2012's of this particular coach on the market right now. Only new 2013, and not a whole heck of a lot of those! Makes it really hard to compare, which is frustrating to me. Normally I'd be calling every dealer and pitting one against the other. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the scarcity of them and the quality of Tiffin will make it easier to resell if/when.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
As far as a toad we haven't towed a car in the 9 years of trips we have taken. We always stop and stock up before we get to the campground. If we are in an area where we want to wander and see the sights or whatever we rent a car. You can rent a lot of cars for the price of buying a vehicle, auxiliary braking system, tow bar, base plate and lighting setups. It is also easier on the vehicles involved not to be towed and a lot safer.

Good luck,
Jon
I was thinking about doing just that. And with Priceline and the like you can get some pretty good prices on car rentals. Good to know I wouldn't be seen as crazy for considering not having a toad!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
If you're going to keep it for a few years and use it, it could be a lot of fun. I nearly traded in my M/H for a 3 6'Tiffin recently, but I'd have to give them my motorhome and another 80K! I'll stay with my current one.

Good luck....
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #39

How long is the warranty and when was it titled? (i.e., how much warranty is left)? With less than 1000 miles and no trips -- that means nothing has likely been sorted out, and I've yet to hear from new owners that didn't have at least a few issues to be corrected under warranty.

Generally, though, it doesn't sound like it's a good deal at all.

Steve
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #40

You can probably get a much better deal on one that's at least 5 years old. Buy that and sell it after a year. If you buy it very right you might even be able to walk away Scott free.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #41

105000 for a unit that msrp'd at 142 and is a 2012. That is just a 26% discount off msrp. In my view just based on price alone that is a poor deal. I would expect to have purchased that unit new a year ago for at least that much probably more off msrp. That is not even accounting for the fact that it is now last year model. You will suffer not 1 but 2 full years depreciation based on your plan to sell. Would be a great deal to the person selling. I suggest more research. If you are just looking for a coach for this 1 trip and you don't want to lose your shirt on the adventure you need to buy lower than most pay in order to sell at a reasonable loss. Hard negotiation but it can be done. Good luck.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Find me a good rental company that has a large class a for less than what buying would cost. I've looked!
Aside from that, if I weren't selling soon, is it a good deal!?
I'm with you and planning on doing the same thing. Planning on a one time tour of the country and then selling. I too thought renting would be easier and cheaper but the numbers just don't work if you want to rent a decent Class A rig. Buying smart and used I figure it will cost less than renting by a bunch. And, who knows, might like it and keep it.