Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LJ. Automatic transmission and transfer case in neutral and ignition key in first position forward. No disconnects for steering back then . Great toad. Weighs in at about 4300# and affords miles of fun.

Tim Brunkow 2003 Monaco Executive 40PBT
griztim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is the easiest car to tow! FORD yes Ford Focus 2012 manual trans. No key needed, no steering column lock. No fuses to pull. Averages 32mpg, I tow it with a ready brute elite. Nothing to do but hook up and go.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Check out the 2015 Jeep Rondevous, $20,000 price range.

Jeep Rondevous??? You sure about that??
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have towed a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick with a RoadMaster Falcon 2 tow bar. Loved that car but it was standard transmission and I broke my left foot (twice).
New motorhome and a new car came with it. Now I have a 2005 Honda CR-V with a Blue Ox tow bar. No problems in over a year.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #47

I towed a 04 Odyssey for 8 years and now tow our 2012 Explorer. 4800# and love it!!!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 2009 Saturn Vue with Blue Ox hitch and switch to avoid pulling fuse. I have excellent results with zero problems including a cross country trip in 2011. As you know, a used one is hard to find, but the are still available.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
2011 Ford Edge Front Wheel drive, love it, will be keeping this one a long time.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #50
Community Moderator

crv is a good option so is gc.
but i tow a 2010 honda fit automatic. easy to set up and tow. over 10kmi no issues.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #51

Over the years I have towed a Chrysler Town & Country mini van, a Saturn wagon, and now on occasion, my Avalanche with M&G brake. You can pretty much setup almost any car to tow. On The Chrysler, I put on a tank that held a quart of transmission oil. When ready to tow, I opened a valve that drained the oil into the transmission overfilling it by one quart. When ready to unhook, I started the engine and opened the valve till the tank was full and shut the valve till the next time. Worked great. Now, I pull a 26' enclosed trailer with my welder, compressor, tools, spare parts and modified Jeep LJ. It's street legal in AZ & UT where we do most of our rock crawling. If I had to choose which vehicle to tow, it would be the Avalanche. The weight doesn't bother and it is nicer to tour around in than a lower to the ground car or other suv.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Tow our 2007 Odyssey four down. No problems. need to follow simple procedure and repeat every 200-300 miles.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #53

Have 2011 Ford Escape and told under no account to try towing it all wheels down even with the transmission mod suggested. So we haven't as read and heard of so many stories/ problems with them Love that vehicle overall - Oh well it is what it is.

Now intending to hit the road longer for a few months at a time here and there and thinking likely spend more time in one location.

Been researching several vehicles (definitely didn't want a dolly or trailer) for four down towing and looking at auto transmissions seems that the two most popular ones appear to be the CRV and Jeep. Hubby being hubby didn't like the CRV finish inside and general look, so looks like we will be going Jeep for short run arounds at destinations and for the ability of a little off roading in the dessert and mountain ranges. Up till now I've found Jeeps too juicy for every day use at SnB, but will be applying use differently moving forward. I will be so very sad to not have my escape for her fuel economy, cargo space, comfort level = just overall all round she's been awesome for me past 3 years. DD at University, feels the same about hers she's had 3 years as well. Hubby being a Tim the tool man Taylor type, detested them when she got hers and was livid when I told him I was getting one too after driving hers. Now he takes ours leaving his F350 sitting on the drive unless needing on his construction jobs (LOL). My oh my how the worm turns - Had a Durango Hemi for 10 years and a deep wallet at the pumps!

Till now, we've managed on extended trips of 5 to 8 weeks three or four times a year with RV, good walking shoes and our bikes and rafts/kayaks and truly never missed having a toad (Guess we are an oddity). If in an area wanting to not move RV for a few days (very rare) we've managed to hire a car locally for really cheap rates thru hotwire - $9 per day Vegas.

Not sure what but if considering a new CRV, I recall reading something about their proposed changes coming through that might affect that as a preferred tow vehicle. Just highlighting and am sure someone else with the knowledge will comment further.

What vehicle you finally decide on will depend on what you wish it to do for you, your budget and which one tickles your fancy. Seems there's quite a few options especially if looking manual tranny.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
I've had a lot of trouble with my escape towing it for four down I'm wondering what other people use and if they've had problems using them?
Looks like you're not alone: Ford Escape - Flat Towing Problems & Procedures
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
I flat tow a 2008 Buick Eclave CLX FWD just put in neutral run for 5 minutes remove Bat 1 50 amp fuse from fuse box under hood. Very easy tows like a dream. Some install a switch for the fuse I just remove fuse very easy. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a 2008 Ford Escape. I loved it because it rode and handled very well, sat up nicely, had plenty of room for Cargo and was just the right height to take things in and out of.
If I could have towed it 4 down I would have. Being Fulltimers, a dolly would be a real inconvenience.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow