Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

What do you use to clean Aluminum wheels that are clear coated?

Hi, I used to use a Mother's paste that was designed specially for clear coated rims. But I can not fine it locally any more. Any suggestions as to what to use and how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The instructions that came with mine said mild soap and water. That always did the job nicely.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

If the wheel is clear coated then you should not need anything other than soap and water. If you use any other type of polish you can ruin the clear coating.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The instructions that came with mine said mild soap and water. That always did the job nicely.
Exactly. Think of the clear coat as your paint, how would you clean that? After some years of service the clear coat will scrape, maybe discolor and slough off. Then you take em in for polishing and new clear coat. Personally, I'd leave the clear coat off so you can polish them yourself. I bought the mothers red sponge cone and mag polish. takes about 20 minutes a wheel once a year.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm4007 View Post
Hi, I used to use a Mother's paste that was designed specially for clear coated rims. But I can not fine it locally any more. Any suggestions as to what to use and how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Jwm,
Just wondering, I kind-a looked around on the net and, I can't find any source for a Mothers brand paste, that's especially formulated for "clear coated wheels". About 99.9999999999999% of the time, maintenance for clear coated wheels is nothing more than washing with soap and water. Clear coats on todays wheel is pretty darn tough stuff. It's not even that easy to mar. It can get chipped once in a while but, it's actually pretty hard to do it.

If your wheels are still looking good, under the clear coat you have, then you're just fine leaving them that way and, like stated, all you more than likely need is a good soap and water.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The second part of the equation, once clean and dry,is go WAX THEM! As mentioned previously, the clear coat on your wheels is just like the clear coat on your MH. Rubbing a nice coat of wax on there a couple of times a year will help make cleaning them a simple chore. Think of the wax as a sacrificial coating on the clear. It helps protect but has a finite lifespan.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

X-2