Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTaylor View Post
Thank you!
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off !!!
Hang in there agent, I am an electronics Tech and it took me a while to read all thru the manuals and some on line research to figure all the electrics out on my coach. I would recommend you go to Xantrex Power Inverter, RV Inverter Charger | RV Power Products
You can find your inverter and get more info on the exact one you have then what is in your manual, that may help you understand it better. I did the same for my Magnum inverter. I am assuming you probably have a control panel inside your coach and you can look up all the things it shows you as well. Good Luck and enjoy your new RV !!!!

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #30

Quote:
I just need to know when I should press the button on and when I should press it off. (Hanging head in shame)
AgentTaylor
I only turn my built in 2000 watt inverter ON if/when I want 120VAC power and I'm not plugged in or running the generator.
If I had to guess I would say that I've only had it ON about 20 hours in 14 years (116k miles).
However I run the TV and my satellite receiver on a separate 300 watt inverter I installed up in the entertainment cabinet.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 10-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off !!!
Hang in there agent, I am an electronics Tech and it took me a while to read all thru the manuals and some on line research to figure all the electrics out on my coach. I would recommend you go to Xantrex Power Inverter, RV Inverter Charger | RV Power Products
You can find your inverter and get more info on the exact one you have then what is in your manual, that may help you understand it better. I did the same for my Magnum inverter. I am assuming you probably have a control panel inside your coach and you can look up all the things it shows you as well. Good Luck and enjoy your new RV !!!!
Thanks Dennis Dean. Unfortunately the inverter issue is just one in a list of issues we are dealing with. Right now we need to find "RVing for Dummies" in hard copy before more disasters happen.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #32

The learning curve can be steep at the beginning. It gets a lot better fast. ;-) Just remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #33

What does the inverter do?

Quote:
Right now we need to find "RVing for Dummies" in hard copy before more disasters happen.

Here you go !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444571341.471902.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	109346

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444571356.612142.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	109347

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444571372.737237.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	109348

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444571405.285655.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	109350
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444571388.321366.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	109349  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
pasdad1, nice that one of the four books you show isn't insulting one's intelligence. RV's are made complicated with all the 'luxury' features to make it like home. Unfortunately the RV must be mobile and adjust to a variety of conditions, making the systems to compensate for those variables complicated and not automatic.

Many owners just want light, they don't care if it comes from 12 v batteries, 120 v shore power, generator, or the batteries through an inverter. Until an owner recognizes that it does matter in an RV, they will have difficulties including discharged batteries and flipped breakers or burned fuses.

I suggest AgentTaylor and many others start by reading

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Once having read that, they can explore and examine their own RV and find out how it is equipped and wired. Starting with a test light or multimeter, they could see which outlets show 120 v power when everything is unplugged. Those outlets work on the inverter, thus are limited by battery storage capacity when not connected to shore power or running the generator or main engine. I know my wife didn't understand which lights were 12 v and which were 120 v until I pointed it out to her on our first trip out. These aren't 'steep learning curve' items, but must be recognized as a complication of having living quarters that can change zip codes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
AgentTaylor -

Make sure your inverter is OFF before you go over the cilff!!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I would also suggest watching the video's posted on YouTube by the "RV Geeks". They are short, well done clips that will most beneficial to you as a new RV owner.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RVgeeks

Don't give up!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
When we did our walk-thru/demo, the technician scoffed at the inverter and said we didn't need to know about it because it didn't really do anything and it was just something that they put in the rig so they can charge an additional $3000. At the time our heads were spinning with all of the information we were trying to remember and he just moved on to the next item but now we would really like to know what it is and why we have it. Can anyone enlighten us?
Please tell us what "walk-thru/demo" you did?

Our coach has a 2800 watt true sine wave inverter. We also have the French door residential refrigerator. The 6 AGM batteries supply power to the inverter to give the refrigerator the 120VAC it needs while we travel or dry dock. When we are on 30A service the inverter will give us about an 18A supplement boost if we draw too much power from the pedestal. When the batteries need charging and we are on shore power, or if the inverter calls the generator into action, the inverter charges the batteries.

The guy who conducted your tour proves that ignorance is not bliss.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never turned my inverter off in the 6 years we have owned our coach except during servicing such as replacing the batteries. I don't always run the generator when on the road so the inverter takes over and keeps the lights on and fridge going. I would turn it off only if I had no power while storing it. My inverter also charges the house batteries so that is important to know too. I have a battery minder that charges the start/coach batteries as long as I am hooked up to shore power. Since it runs off 110 it will drain the house batteries if I am not hooked up to power. Watch for that! To kill all power to the coach if you are stored with no power, be sure to turn off both house and start battery disconnects, the inverter and the 12v switch master switch.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #39

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
I would also suggest watching the video's posted on YouTube by the "RV Geeks". They are short, well done clips that will most beneficial to you as a new RV owner.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RVgeeks

Don't give up!
Second this, youtube is chock full of helpful videos that can greatly speed up you learning curve. Also keep you coach manufactures tech services phone number handy, most are good at helping out. Also while you are in a campground don't be afraid to ask fellow campers your questions or to get advice , most would be glad to help.

Your were put behind the 8ball by an uncaring dealer, don't give up everything you need to know is available as info. and will soon become second nature.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #40

George & Peggy - We too had never owned an RV of any kind when we bought our Precept 31UL. We felt a lot like you do, but I must tell you that it really is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. There have been some great information exchanged in this thread on the inverter, but for us newbie's, it is over our heads. Like you said, you just want to know when to turn it on and off and not so much how it works.

We spent 2 months in our Precept this summer and never turned it on. The generator or shore power took care of everything. I called Jayco, which by the way, is a great way to get answers directly, and they said the inverter in our units just power the front outlet at the passenger seat and the front TV. Not the refrigerator or anything else (like in some other brands).

So, going down the road you must use either the generator or propane to keep the refrigerator powered. And yes, the generator uses gas, but they also need to run, so why not be cool and comfortable while you're rolling down the Florida roads.

I did discover upon return from our summer trip, that I do need to have the inverter on while driving in order for my wife to keep her iphone/ipad charged, in the A/C or USB outlets next to the passenger seat, so next time out, I'll have the inverter on while driving and off the rest of the time. The battery charge will stay topped off if we have the generator running while driving or, if not, when we connect to shore power at the end of the day's drive.

Don't stress on this stuff. Keep using the forums to learn and have fun trying things out. In short order, you'll be real comfortable with your coach and the things to do and not do to enjoy the adventure.

McGarrett
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #41

Most inverters will go into bypass mode when plugged in. So you really don't have to turn them off except for when not using the unit. When on and plugged in the panel will give you battery voltage on the read out.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Most inverters will go into bypass mode when plugged in. So you really don't have to turn them off except for when not using the unit. When on and plugged in the panel will give you battery voltage on the read out.
1mainiac
I disagree!
You really never have to turn the inverter "on" except for when you need 120VAC power from the receptacles powered by the inverter and have no 120VAC shore or generator power.
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
inverter