Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

What does the tire guy do when you call for road service for a flat?

When you get a flat and call for road service (good SAMs, coach net whatever) what does the guy do when he shows up? I assume he jacks your coach up and removes the tire. Do they have equipment on the truck to put a new tire on the rim, or do they have to take it back to a shop to do the change?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
When you get a flat and call for road service (good SAMs, coach net whatever) what does the guy do when he shows up? I assume he jacks your coach up and removes the tire. Do they have equipment on the truck to put a new tire on the rim, or do they have to take it back to a shop to do the change?

They should send a service guy on a truck equipped to jack, remove and dismount the tire from the wheel. If the road service is doing their job, the truck will have a suitable replacement tire if one is required.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
They should send a service guy on a truck equipped to jack, remove and dismount the tire from the wheel. If the road service is doing their job, the truck will have a suitable replacement tire if one is required.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I keep an unmounted spare onboard. Should make things simpler
Old 05-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I keep an unmounted spare onboard. Should make things simpler
It does, but our rig has two different sizes, the front and tag are 365/70's and the drive are 315/80's. There's no way I can carry that size tire anywhere.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What does the tire guy do when you call for road service for a flat?

I worked as the michelin man for several years. When we get a call, we asked what position and what size. then I would raid the used rack and respond. We jack up the rig, remove the wheel, dismount the tire, if able we repair the tire. and reinstall, or put on the used tire. sign some paperwork and I go home.

All of our service trucks could do everything needed but balancing. We had a truck for that but it was limited to passenger rig tires.

Since I have the know how, I carry all the necessary tools to do it myself.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imurphy907 View Post
I worked as the michelin man for several years. When we get a call, we asked what position and what size. then I would raid the used rack and respond. We jack up the rig, remove the wheel, dismount the tire, if able we repair the tire. and reinstall, or put on the used tire. sign some paperwork and I go home.

All of our service trucks could do everything needed but balancing. We had a truck for that but it was limited to passenger rig tires.

Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiosity, what tools are required? Can you dismount/mount a tire without a tire mounting machine.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:

My hat is off to you. That had to be a hard and dirty job especially in the rain and or snow!

I am interested in the answer to what tools you carry also. I understand truck tires are easier to remove from the rim than the smaller passenger tires are. True?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiosity, what tools are required? Can you dismount/mount a tire without a tire mounting machine.
I haven't seen any tire shop that has a 22.5" mounting machine.
Not saying they are none.

Most use hand tools
how it is done.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
To mount and dismount pretty much any tire you need 4 tools. Bead hammer, spoon bar, step bar and lube.

They do make tire machines for large tires, but I have never seen one in person. I have done everything from wheel barrel tires to 15' tall earth mover tires. All by hand. For the big stuff you go from a bead hammer to a hydraulic bead breaker. But the rest is all about the same.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #10

I would say it takes a real MAN to change one of those tires off and on the rim.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
To mount and dismount pretty much any tire you need 4 tools. Bead hammer, spoon bar, step bar and lube.

They do make tire machines for large tires, but I have never seen one in person. I have done everything from wheel barrel tires to 15' tall earth mover tires. All by hand. For the big stuff you go from a bead hammer to a hydraulic bead breaker. But the rest is all about the same.
you truly are a manly man ; bet nobody messes with you
Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #12

Back in the day, when our tire man was on vacation, we were offered O.T. to fix 11.00x20 tires. I did it once.
Back breaking, dirty job. I would rather change a clutch on a 15 speed, garbage truck.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My experiences.

Blew a inside rear. Tire service came to me and replaced with my unmounted spare. Had all the tools to swap over the tire to the wheel.

Low pressure in outside rear. Tire service came to me and found a nail in the tire tread area. Dismounted the tire, patched from inside, put it back on. Had all the tools needed to do the repair job.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #14

I have a short handled bead breaking hammer, and 2 truck tire irons. Also carry a small peanut butter jar of tire lube. Once the tire is off the rig, that's all it takes. Your air in the RV is fine for inflating.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service