Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
That is definitely rivering and a known issue for the Goodyear G670 tires. I won't buy Goodyears anymore.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #16

Do the Michelin's still crack on the sidewall or is that an old issue? I two prices from local shops and the Michelin is actually less expensive than replacing with another g670 that are on there.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rivering is caused by going straight. High speeds, little turning, same conditions all the time, little variations. Sound like most RVs? Had some Hancook's do it in the front, both outside edges. Did a lot of research to find this answer, thought is was mechanical.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
That is definitely rivering and a known issue for the Goodyear G670 tires. I won't buy Goodyears anymore.

X2

My fronts got so bad by 20,000 miles I replaced them. At 30,000 the rears are doing it now.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, on my last coach, had to replace the front G670's at a little less than 30K miles due to rivering. The rears were fine.

I've heard most people take the fronts when they start rivering and put them on the inside dual position.

This coach has Michelins and I try to take much better care of them. Always covered and use 303 on them every time I wash the coach.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
Do the Michelin's still crack on the sidewall or is that an old issue? I two prices from local shops and the Michelin is actually less expensive than replacing with another g670 that are on there.
Still an issue on many Michelin's. I'm very happy with my new Bridgestone Ecopia R268 tires. Better ride than the Goodyear G670's and much less expensive

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would guess that the dealer or previous owner was wrong and that tire was previously on the front. It's definitely "rivering"....after having the issue on two sets of tires and Goodyear denying any issues with the G670's, I have elected to never give Goodyear another dime of my money.

Here is a good photo of what it does.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #22

I believe that is called cupping. If it is a dually the tires may have been set to one side in other words not Square causing it to run to the edge not true to the road but it is under an alignment issue
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

If you get the tires up off the ground and set a hammer to the edge of the tire a quarter inch or less away from the tire at the bottom then spin the tire it should clear the hammer all way around
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggshere View Post
That looks like "cupping" to me which is usually caused by a bad shock absorber on a car. I would assume it would do the same on an RV.

X2

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I believe that is called cupping. If it is a dually the tires may have been set to one side in other words not Square causing it to run to the edge not true to the road but it is under an alignment issue
That thought occurred to me while reading the first page. That picture does not fit the normal "rivering" pictures found on the internet. Tire mounting is an important issue, improper or lackadaisical mounting may cause this problem, and/or extremely out-of-balance condition.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #26

If it has always been on the back have the track bar bushings checked. If that was on the front there would be no way the coach didn't vibrate and pull. However a track bar issue will destroy the tire by scrubbing it forward and aft as you drive.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rivering
Old 08-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #28

The dealer is going to replace before purchase (with some negotiation). I am going to have them replace the fronts and move one of the current Goodyears back to replace that tire. They gave me the option of a pair Goodyears to match the rears or go with Michelin. My gut tells me to go to michelin, but I am not sure if that is my personal bias since I run Michelin on my cars.

If the Choice was Michelin or Goodyear to match the rears ...would you go Michelin on the steers?
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote