Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
What got you into RVing and what are you doing now.

Recreational Vehicle (RV) is a wonderful fun life for many like us to enjoy, having many uses. When we first got started into the RV it was to take out Pet with us on trips. We have been motor homing since 2002 and got it quickly became a second home for our beloved pet. She is no longer with us any longer and I do miss that little four legged hair ball of total love. Having spoken to many RVers, I am truly surprised by the wide range of RV uses. Some go to Collage sport games, NASCAR, BEACH get always, Vacations to National Parks and like us, finding a nice park to stay for a few weeks while enjoying the local area. In the begging I kind of had this idea everyone getting a motor home was touring the USA, but find very few RVers actually do that full time. Some are creative and enjoy working part or full time at RV parks before moving to another to do the same, while slowly touring the country. I enjoy golf and try to find a park near to a golf course.
So why are you RVing today? What do you like to do in your Motor home.

2006 Winnebago TOUR 350 CAT. 36' Freightliner Chassiss, Onan 7500 Gen.2008 Jeep Commander, Dinghy Unified Tow Brake
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We started into RVing when we rented one to pick up a relative and take her several States away to visit. The rental company had a special rental arrangement because it was off season. We found out we really liked it.

What do we do with it?
1. Use it in place of a motel when I attend model sailboat races They are typically Friday-Sunday
2. Use it as refuge for just the two of us to get away from the normal hassle of life. Several of the State CGs we use don't get cell phone service. We enjoy Dutch oven cooking, campfires and many other aspects of the RV lifestyle.
3. Use it as a way to prepare meals to help DW stay on her diabetic diet. On an 18 day trip to Yellowstone, we ate out only one meal (a dinner in Jackson Hole). We hiked both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and packed our own lunches from the RV.
4. Use it as sleeping arrangements when we visit relatives or have them at our sticks and bricks house.

Most important: DW would not go with me if we had to sleep in tent.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We started out in 1986 with a 16 1/2 ft Jayco TT on a single axle. Basically, we wanted to experiment with the camping life, but did not want to tent camp....I spent too many days in pup tents and fox holes while in the Army. The wife loved it, the kids, small as they were loved it, so the RV lifestyle became our way of life for vacations, short or long.

We graduated to a 24 ft Fleetwood Wilderness TT, then a couple of class C's and since 2003, the present Allegro 32BA W-20. The kids are grown, but the RVing goes on. Can't stand staying in hotels and besides, the dog loves the rig.

During times when there are too many visitors or family at the house, the MH is a hotel.....darn nice one too! And, when we are between trips, I have something to take care of..Of course, the break downs and unexpected expenses are a negative, but on the whole, RV'ing is the only way to go. And we're off to Alaska in 12 days. Hooooray!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
My memories go back to the '30s and '40s when it was always a 2-day trip from North Central WA via US2 to the Puget Sound region or the other way. While our parents are gone, 3 siblings and a son continue the tradition. I should mention, it is much more comfortable these days.

As one RV manufacturer used to say on their spare tire cover: "Roughing it Smoothly"...

Needless to say, there are many iterations and adventures between that life style and today. Wouldn't have missed it then, when we tented it, and today when no comfort and convenience is overlooked!
jimfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Neither my wife nor I have ever been RVing or campers. Not our families either. My wife did grow up on a trap-line in Northern Manitoba without the comforts that we now enjoy in our current and first venture into the RVing lifestyle. What got us started can be summed up in one word “Family.” We live about 3500 km’s or about 2200 miles away from my side of the family. Travelling down for long periods of time was simply excruciating both for my young family and those who we imposed on when we arrived.

An RV fit the bill after some crunching of the numbers. We couldn’t be happier or more excited when we have a chance to travel in our coach. No longer do we have to worry about hotel rooms, what we eat or when we eat. All these things that we use to spend larger amounts of money on that go to someone else now go towards our coach. We will enjoy our coach for years to come and save money in the long run too.

Our first real excursion is to Mt. Rushmore this summer on our way back down to Southern Ontario. Last years trips just found us learning about our coach and travelling home.

I really don’t know why we waited so long to enjoy this lifestyle.

You asked, J
Blake Symons & Family
2004 American Tradition 370 Cummins, 2000 Tahoe Blue Ox Aventa LX BrakeBuddy Vantage
Northern-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Hi Blake - We have been 5th wheelers since 2001 - now we are retiring and looking at a used 2005 Pace Aroow 37C. Is this a good unit? Do you have any words of wisdom as to what we should look for or be concerned about. thank you

Norm & Claudette
campsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
I saw a couple of Dodge Motorhomes on a Dodge car lot in 1964. I was fascinated with the concept, but waited about 10 years before we found a used Class C we could afford. We were all over the country for several years before I sold it to buy materials to build a garage. Didn't finish the garage before I changed jobs and moved. About ten years later (kids all grown, and a new wife)we found a VERY used 28' Class A, bought it and cleaned it up for our first two foster kids. When we started adopting special needs children we needed more space, and we found a 37' which promptly blew an engine. A few months after engine repairs another 37' with slide came available. We had more kids to care for and needed the extra space, especially for medical equipment. Now we're looking for a multiple slide unit to take us past our traveling years. We couldn't travel with the kids without a motorhome, and they do enjoy the places we go. Who knows what is in our future. We just know we'll keep on using a motorhome as long as we can.

Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote