Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06georgieboy View Post
Replaced a broken shear pin on my main slideout today at the campground.Was getting ready to leave and running slideouts in the main one quit half the way in.Went out and checked the mechanism and the pin had broken ,replaced with a grade 8 bolt and nut and was on my way.Took about 10 mins. as I have done this before ,Camping World says there is nothing wrong withe slideout but it has broken about 6 pins sine I have had this unit.

You might rethink using a hardened bolt in your slide out drive.

Sometimes shearing a bolt saves a more expense part.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #212

Finally replaced the Lift Pump on my 8.3 ISC Cummins....stripped the threads on a banjo fitting. Had to get a second replacement pump. This time also ordered ang got new gasket for original pump, to repair and keep on standby.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #213

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06georgieboy View Post
Replaced a broken shear pin on my main slideout today at the campground.Was getting ready to leave and running slideouts in the main one quit half the way in.Went out and checked the mechanism and the pin had broken ,replaced with a grade 8 bolt and nut and was on my way.Took about 10 mins. as I have done this before ,Camping World says there is nothing wrong withe slideout but it has broken about 6 pins sine I have had this unit.
I know exactly what you are going thru as our last coach was a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. The first day when were got home with our new to us MH the front driver side slide wouldn't go in, motor worked but no slide movement. Looking under the slide to see what was going on i saw other pieces of broken shear pins of various types. I used a bolt for the temporary fix. Thought okay this is probably why i got such a good deal as the previos owner wasn't as handy.

One of the broken pins looked like a roll pin which i couldnt find in any stores so i got a 1/4" SS clevis pin. I bought several just in case. That broke again some time later. The second pin i put in i removed after the 6th use to see whats going on and it was bent and would soon break. I took a 1/4 drill bit to clean up where the pin went, put a new one in without having to use a hammer and punch and at the 6th slide use i just pushed the old one out with the new one. Only took a few minutes. I was concerned what would happen if the pin would break when the slide was almost in, that would be a very difficult repair.

It didn't take long to use up my supply of pins and started a search. I found a manufacture of quality SS pins at pivotpins.com. Only catch was their $35 minium order. I had a supply to last a lifetime. The 1/4 pins i bought had the small hole in the end where i put a cotter pin in so it wouldnt fall out. When we traded in that GB all i could pass along to the potential owner was the pins i had in the coach. Somewhere in my garage i will eventually find that bag of pins.

Over the 5 years of owning the GB every time we met another GB owner they would ask if i had a problem with the slide. I would say yes and tell them my work around. This was most likely an under engineered design subject to fail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf front slide.pdf (881.7 KB, 43 views)
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #214

Added two large quiet fans to the upper vent of my fridge (external).

Drilled a hole through the fridge from the outside to accommodate 12 volt wiring from a small interior fin fan for the frig as well. I had the wiring for the fin fan routed down the condensate drain line, but it was obstructing the draining action.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #215

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
NOTHING!!! I did add a water softener and finally activated the satellite system.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #216

Always a great week when you are not fixing something!!!!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #217

As we approached and blew past 100,000 miles on our 1999 Safari Trek, it was time for some maintenance...

2017:
New Michelin tires (3rd set)
Replace intake manifold gasket
Replace engine fan clutch
Added relays & wiring to connect battery voltage to headlights (MUCH brighter - even with the original 1999 sealed beams).

2016:
Purchased TMPS (EEZTire)
Complete brake rebuild.

2015:
New spark plug wires
New Onan Microlite generator (Didn't want to spend major $ to repair shorted rotor on a 16 year old generator)

2014:
New radiator & heater hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
..... What have you done lately?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #218

While on my trip (Seattle to HB, Ca.) I had a trans slip issue start up while on the last leg of the pass just south of Ashland, Oregon. After cresting the RV would not go beyond 30-35mph. Pull off at Yreka, Ca. stayed the night (Baxters Auto lot).

The next morning they sent me over to Onarheim truck repair. Mechanic checked what I had checked (fluid) which was perfect no issue. he also drove it without issue. Says it may have gotten hot.

Continue on south. Made it to HB, Ca. (shot over from the 5 to the 101 via 505 - 680 - 101). No issue.

On the return trip ~10 days later just south of Willits, Ca. (after a pass) I had it do the same thing again. This was after driving without issue from just north of San Louis Obisbo.

Same results next morning no issue. However roughly 35 later same issue popped up. This time I could tell the trans was in limp mode. Not going from 2-3. Quickly realizing that when turning of the engine and restarting it resets and all is ok. Now beginning to look like shift solenoid issue. Did this (3) until I reached Grants Pass, Oregon and stopped the night. Ended up staying just outside of Jerry's Clutch & Transmission (Great guy). While stopped I used paper clip to pull codes 68 and 87.

The following morning (Joe) mechanic used computer and pulled same codes:

68 - Trans slip
87 - Shift solenoid stuck open

He quickly fixed it by stating the 68 slip can be resolved by turning the force valve up 1/4 turn and we'll replace both shift solenoids A & B.

While we had the RV up on rack he also found that the trans wire connector was leaking as well. Replaced it with upgraded one. Back on the road in roughly 2-3 hours. $290

So if anyone ever has trans issue I highly recommend Jerry's clutch & transmission in Grants Pass, Or.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #219

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Cleaned and painted the roof. Used simple green to clean. Scrubbed with a red 3m pad to get super clean. removed all old roof attachments that have become obsolete (CB radio antenna, anemometer, old satellite wires etc) sealed all holes and vents with dicor and eternabond tape. Put new fantastic vent lids on with new lift motors and arms. Painted the roof with 2 coats 3 1/2 qts total of Rustoleum Top Sider anti slip deck paint. Should eliminate chalking and streaking down the sides. Nice to know everything is well sealed and pristine up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	175586  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #220

I replaced the cracked coolant surge tank on our 2004 MADP this weekend. Easy job, under $70 in parts.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #221

Replaced the plug on our land line. Replaced the original toilet about 3 weeks back. Also had to replace both ac blower motors within two weeks of each other. But, this gal's 30 years old, what do you expect from her? Getting her buttoned up for a trip to Colorado the middle of this month. Happy camping!
ORfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #222

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Cleaned and painted the roof. Used simple green to clean. Scrubbed with a red 3m pad to get super clean. removed all old roof attachments that have become obsolete (CB radio antenna, anemometer, old satellite wires etc) sealed all holes and vents with dicor and eternabond tape. Put new fantastic vent lids on with new lift motors and arms. Painted the roof with 2 coats 3 1/2 qts total of Rustoleum Top Sider anti slip deck paint. Should eliminate chalking and streaking down the sides. Nice to know everything is well sealed and pristine up there.

what type of roof were you painting?

what we're your criteria in selecting your paint / material?

the reason i'm asking is because i'd like to remove the unnecessary parts from our roof, dicor / eternabond and waterproof as best as possible. i've been leaning toward henry tropicool as the seal but am interested in hearing about your decision process.

tia
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Do you have any pictures of the vents with eternabond tape? I'm curious how the hinge for the vent's hood was handled.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #224

Lost about half the lights in the rear of the coach, found a blown fuse. Replaced it and all is well once again
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair