Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #743

"That is probably the main reason I wont switch to series parallel 6 volt batteries. Would have been there hours"

My two 12 volt engine batteries and four 6 volt chassis batteries are in the same tray. If that would happen to me, worse case is to disconnect chassis, and move the engine battery leads to the + of the in series 6 volts and the - at the other end (to get 12volts). No way would I put 12 volt batteries in as chassis for longevity reasons.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #744

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe OT. But today I replaced the seals and bearings in the intermediate housing of the IO on my boat. It is a recreational vehicle after all!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 AM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
"That is probably the main reason I wont switch to series parallel 6 volt batteries. Would have been there hours"

My two 12 volt engine batteries and four 6 volt chassis batteries are in the same tray. If that would happen to me, worse case is to disconnect chassis, and move the engine battery leads to the + of the in series 6 volts and the - at the other end (to get 12volts). No way would I put 12 volt batteries in as chassis for longevity reasons.
I guess I should have said I wouldn't change to 6 volt on this coach. If the bats were all in the same tray or compartment, then it would be a no brainer in my opinion
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
I guess I should have said I wouldn't change to 6 volt on this coach. If the bats were all in the same tray or compartment, then it would be a no brainer in my opinion
The boost switch will connect the house to the chassis. Get that to stay on and no need to swap batteries.

You can even disconnect the shorted chassis battery, the boost cables are sized for engine starting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #747

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That is probably the main reason I wont switch to series parallel 6 volt batteries. Would have been there hours I'm sure waiting for someone to help.
I've been there. All you need is an inexpensive set of jumper cables and jump the chassis battery to the house battery. This works with 6V house batteries wired in series also.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #748

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our constant restoration project.

Our 1985 Fleetwood is a constant project so I've replaced the toilet, the water heater, the generator, the converter (now the wiring is all up to code. Yay!), the furnace and the refrigerator with all new components. Next is a new awning and a paint job for our restored baby.
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The boost switch will connect the house to the chassis. Get that to stay on and no need to swap batteries.

You can even disconnect the shorted chassis battery, the boost cables are sized for engine starting.
Another good reason would be to alleviate the situation we found ourselves in on the way back to OR after picking up our "new to us" Monaco in Mesa, AZ.

The alternator failed somewhere before Beatty, NV and just past Beatty the 3060 Allison stopped working. After waiting 3 days for the wrong alternator to arrive we ran 6ga wire from the chassis batt. to the house batts. and ran the gen. for the remaining 800 miles home. Having a relay connection would have been much simpler and easier.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #750

Forest River Owners Club
Forest River Berkshire
Freightliner chassis

- new in-dash radio
- new rear-view camera
- new shocks
- 3 new roof vent covers
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #751

Since I took my MH out of storage in the spring I have:
Changed the engine oil and filter
Drained and replaced the engine coolant
Cleaned and re-oiled my K&N air filter
Removed and checked a couple of my spark plugs-still look good
Removed the old brake fluid from the master cylinder
Refilled with new DOT3 brake fluid.
Removed all the wheels and bled all the brakes
(with an air powered vacuum bleeder--- easy)
Replaced the Bilstein shocks with Konis (big improvement)
Installed 6 new Michelin XRV tires.
Changed the tires on my Toad
Bled the brakes on the Toad.
Tightened up the bolts on the Toad's baseplate.
Cleaned an re-oiled my Blue Ox tow bar.
Then over 3 days we drove 1300+ KM (807 MI) to Lancaster in eastern Ontario.
Spent 17 wonderful days at Lancaster Family Resort Campground.
While we were there had the condenser fan replaced on our basement air conditioner.
Did a couple of days flying a Cessna 172.
Lost the starting motor in the Toad, had that replaced.
Then spent 3 days driving back home to Labrador.
Only to discover upon returning that while being towed the front differential mounting bracket broke, causing the front drive shaft to break a large hole in the side of the transmission base pan. Losing all the fluid.
Now that we are home I now have more work to do.

Busy summer.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #752

Fleetwood Owners Club
No kiddin!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Another good reason would be to alleviate the situation we found ourselves in on the way back to OR after picking up our "new to us" Monaco in Mesa, AZ.

The alternator failed somewhere before Beatty, NV and just past Beatty the 3060 Allison stopped working. After waiting 3 days for the wrong alternator to arrive we ran 6ga wire from the chassis batt. to the house batts. and ran the gen. for the remaining 800 miles home. Having a relay connection would have been much simpler and easier.

Steve
Maybe it's an Oregon/ Nevada thing. I was on my way home from Medford Oregon when it happened[emoji85]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #754

Quote:
Maybe it's an Oregon/ Nevada thing. I was on my way home from Medford Oregon when it happened[emoji85]
Let's hope not, we may do it again sometime. We were going to Phoenix, about 4 miles S of Medford. The good thing is that we both made it home OK.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #755

If the battery has a shorted cell, you really want/need to get it out of the circuit, so just jumping it or leaving the boost switch on isn't a good option IMHO
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #756

PM inspection

Finally had a chance to get a full PM inspection.

Lube, Oil, and filters replaced. The rest of the chassis inspected. Mostly good news.

Identified that the drag link should be replaced. A slight amount of give when checked, indicating a bit of wear from some contamination in the ball joint. The boot was near completely gone.

Some small micro-cracking in the PTO feeder tube, and a leaking PTO shaft seal.

Mechanic was extremely complimentary about the coach, saying that it was in extremely good condition given it's age, and not to worry about the drag link or PTO feeder tube until we get back to Texas, from New England.

On the other hand, being a noobie, I was able to get a very good education about the underside of my coach. The shop told me that I could be under the coach with the mechanic the whole time that it was on the lift. I was able to identify many things about the coach that I was wondering about, and will now be able to do most of the maintenance myself.
theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair