Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #113
Today I removed my Carefree slide out cover, and reversed it so the small tear was wrapped around the roller where it wouldn't show, instead of attached to the side of the mh where it flapped in the breeze.

Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #114
Well....I always seem to be doing something minor just to spend time with the RV. My latest fix was modifying the circuit board tray for my Precision Temp tankless hot water heater. Seems if we had a hard blowing rain, water would get in the tray that both circuit boards sit in. Once wet, the system would not function. Don't like doing without hot water !! So I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the tray to drain away any water, raised the circuit board about 3/8 of an inch by putting plastic spacers between the bottom of the tray and the circuit board and siliconed the rivets to ensure water was not getting in through them. I'm hoping this fixed my problem!!

Thanks !!

2013 Phaeton 40QBH
Freightliner Chassis/Cummins ISC 380HP
2010 Honda CRV Toad
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #115
I replaced the AM/FM antennae on my Journey DL after breaking it off, probably on a tree limb. It is on Wordpress if you want to see what I did.
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 34 pulling a 2011 Honda CRV
dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #116
Monaco Owners Club
Replaced the entry steps on my coach this past weekend. The original steps were made my Lippert ... and were the "half moon" gear design. Seems like we've had issues with them from the very start. They never seemed to retract "tightly" ... and left lots of play when retracted. Then, last summer they started making a clunking noise when closing. Finally they started making a loud clunking noise - which lasted until the shoulder bolt that held the mechanism in place failed completely. (The shoulder bolt issue ended up being at the crux of a recall - that I received notice of just yesterday!).

This spring (in the wake of a good salt bath from road slush encountered during a snowstorm on the way home from Florida) ... they started to bind up. Despite hosing down the pivot points with oil ... the binding worsened. Ultimately the motor housing broke from the strain introduced by the "binding". Pulled the steps to take it apart again ... and had to torch and hammer the assembly to finally get it apart.

Decided I'd had enough ... and replaced them with a set of Kwickee Series 32 steps. The new steps extend and retract smooth as silk. Here's hoping they last for awhile!

The weather is looking good for the upcoming weekend. I've got my labor resources (my 24 year old son and his buddy ... both of whom own me more than a couple of $$$ for help provided this past year) and all my supplies lined up. It's time for the annual hand wash and wax. We'll have four of us working on it ... planning to wash and wax it, polish the wheels, RainX the windows - and apply some 303 waterproofing to the slide toppers.

Should be BIG fun!
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #117
Winnebago Owners Club
If we park our coach really close behind yours do you think you have the man power and time to do ours as well? LOL

Have a great time. It will be a great bonding time with results that are immediate. Pictures please . . . before/after
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #118
I took my coach to have the serpentine belt and the regular belt changed out. I was afraid that it would be too much of a problem for me to do it since I have the rear radiator, so I took it to American diesel shop here in Barstow. I was surprised after I removed the bed mattress and opened the box how much room their was to change the belts. It has about three feet of room over the engine to the top of the box which is plenty of room to do the job. So I had them change them out for $160.00 bucks which I thought was not bad.

I retained the old belts since they still looked good in case of an emergency. Sometimes even new belts will break apart.

Going to Yosemite the end of this month and it will be hot and a big climb so I am not taking any chances of a belt breaking.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #119
Fleetwood Owners Club
It would be easier to mention what I have not done.

Rebuilt furnace and water heater..Dicor'd the roof..repaired several external lights... rebuilt a cabinet..resealed and remounted a improperly installed comode..repaired three major severed wiring harness's under the chassis (blown tires) replaced tube tv with flatscreen in bedroom..replaced engine thermostat. Put on three new Michelin tires.. yesterday I installed a new starter on the genset.

I am currently trying to replace the wheel speed sensors for the ABS. and new brake hoses but the parts are hard to find.

This is some of the repairs, my insurance has paid over $20,000 for other repairs and I sware I cannot see why! I won't say who got all that cash but it is a big RV dealer. they also wanted $550 for a front end alignment, I had it done for $150....I haven't mentioned everything

I have taken to doing as much work on my unit as I can because more damage is done by others than is repaired and the repairs are haphazard at best.

I can tell a story behind each and everything mentioned but you nor I has that much time.

It's a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision.........I enjoy it very much! BUT........
donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #120
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The last couple days I spent replacing the older flat panel TV with a new LED flat panel. I replaced it for a couple of reasons, one was size, 32" ver. 40" but that wasn't the main reason main reason was weight 35lbs. ver. 14lbs. but I do have to admit size does matter.
2008 National RV
Dolphin DL34B
2012 Jeep Wrangler
legryz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #121
Just got ours out of the shop. The Xantrax controller and power distribution circuit board were improperly wired at the factory. Had that fixed but had to replace all four house batteries. Added an ice maker to make life a little nicer. Had the propane orifice on the fridge cleans so fridge would run on propane when needed.
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #122
Replaced 2 air brake valves, one Rx12 (I think) and obesity above it and am now seeking a 3rd. Presently tracing an electrical labyrinth that David Bowie would be mesmerized with to figure why nothing is holding a charge anymore. Gotta be a bad diode somewhere...!
BradleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #123
My domestic fridge. Was giving me a code with no flame. Opened up the access and blew it out with my mouth to see if that was it. Heard it "woof" a few times, so I blew harder and it fired up
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #124
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a full brake job on my 1999 F53. All calipers and brackets. All 5 rubber hoses. Not a fun job for a 75 year old. also replaced all four valve stems on the rear tires to get rid of the troulesome extenders. I love the long stems. No longer have to use a truck gauge or chuck to service tires. Any auto air chuck or gauge will work on the tires now.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #125

Dropped the drive shaft out and replaced both U Joints. Had a bit of a vibration on acceleration and found one U Joint starting to ripple. Suspect a previous owner may have neglected to grease them. With only 77,000 miles they should not be in need of replacement.

On the bright side, I called Spartan for the part numbers. They sent me a driveshaft drawing and the P/N's. Asked if they could supply. Said delivery was 7 days and price was $129 ea. (That's US dollars for you Canucks). So called my local supplier in Penticton. Two day delivery, $70 CDN. (Thats $54 for you American folks) Guess where I got them.
BTW, genuine Spicer. said "Product of USA" on the box. Is that the same as "Made in USA"?
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #126

Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
My domestic fridge. Was giving me a code with no flame. Opened up the access and blew it out with my mouth to see if that was it. Heard it "woof" a few times, so I blew harder and it fired up
You might want to go on the Dometic website and enter your Model/Serial number to see if there are any recalls. Mine had one that the Newmar dealer performed at No Charge.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote