Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #1

so...I am looking at upgrading.
obviously either a CAT or CUMMINS.
what is the cost for year 1 and year 2 maintenance? and what are the maintenance items? Also any maintenance needed on the Allison transmission.

Part of my research to keep my gasser a few more years...or make the change soon.

Thanks...I know this is an old subject...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #2

so...I am looking at upgrading.
obviously either a CAT or CUMMINS.
what is the cost for year 1 and year 2 maintenance? and what are the maintenance items? Also any maintenance needed on the Allison transmission.

Part of my research to keep my gasser a few more years...or make the change soon.

Thanks...I know this is an old subject...

Old 04-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #3

LandHo, in your msg. you "imply" upgrading being equivalent to new. That being the case the only cost you should experience with either Cat or Cummins is oil and filter changes in either year 1 or 2. How many changes is a function of mileage and conditions, i.e. prolonged stays in desert climates may require more frequency. Generally on the newer electronic engines the 1st oil change is at 7,500 miles and every 15,000 thereafter----at least that is what the book says. For the price of 22-26 quarts of oil and a filter I generally get mine changed every 8-9,000 miles. BTW, after 100 miles it looks no different than it did right before the change, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #4

yes, I am referring to a new DP.
I had heard about lash adj and tranny related maint costs...
Just trying to understand the real out of pocket costs in first couple of years. Salespersons are of no help in this regard...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #5

LandHo, both Cummins and Cat have very informative web sites that you might want to check out. There are also Newmar and a Discovery owners sites on Yahoo and some of those owners are pretty knowledgeable folks who can be a lot more engine/chassis specific than I can. Being somewhat mechanically challenged I have to rely on the owners manual and if they tell me to do something at X months I do it at X minus and if they say do it at Y miles I generally do it at 75% of Y. Conservative, maybe; but, with that kind of investment I tend to error on the side of caution. Just thoughts to ponder, Ken...
Old 04-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cat does require an initial valve lash adjustment after a given amount of miles. Cummins does not. Either way you do have to change one filter on the Allison transmission. Other than oil and filter change, that should be it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #7

....initial costs are around 10-15k and add oil and filters now and then.....don't expect any miracials......it doesn't happen like that.....I'd trade the unite or pray for a fire when I was out h iking.....geofkaye
Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Geofkaye:I think there might be a typo in your reply, 10-15K seems a little high, maybe 1-1.5K would be more realistic...IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
....initial costs are around 10-15k </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
are U referring to the purchase price? I was referring to the 1st 2 year's worth of maint costs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
.....don't expect any miracials......it doesn't happen like that.....I'd trade the unite or pray for a fire when I was out hiking.....geofkaye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
?? what do you mean ??
Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #10

Cummins does not require a valve lash. Depending on the engine, the first oil change with filter is at least once a year. (15,000-20,000 miles, again depending on engine.) At the yearly maintenance you should also do the fuel filters and check your coolant. The first transmission service is at 5000 miles and then moves out there a ways.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #11

.....I thought you were switching out engines....sorry. Fire is a well known way of getting a new camper/boat/truck/car/cash back around these parts....seems like ther are an awful lot of car/truck/camper/boat fires when fuel prices take a leap.....just my observations.....geofkaye
Old 05-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #12

A good fire investigator will settle that dispicable action.

As far a cost the first and second year, it's also going to based on where you take it. Some dealers are just waiting for you, they have their service rates raised and their flat rate fee set so they can make the most from you.

If we all could look back at the time when we were sitting down with the saleman, negotiating the deal, we should have/could have negotiated the first two years of service into the deal. I, don't understand why this industry has to rap us so hard for those first two years of service, it' doesn't take a rocket scientist to change the oil, lube the chassis, change the filters, and as far as valve lash is concerned, the biggest problem there is getting to the cylinder heads from either the engine compartment or the bed room.

If you look at the average use most of us put on our coaches the first two years, it's has to be in the range of 10,000 to 15,000 miles. The real problem, is that we runout of warranty time before we get to the 15,000 mark. Like I mention above, if we had considered negotiating the servcies we needed for the first two years into our original deal, we'd all be better off and there wouldn't be any surprises.

Think about it!

Tomcat F15
Old 05-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #13

Went to the local service center to ask them about costs...Now this is just the opinion of the SC that I went to...But it would be the SC that I go to (since it is very close to me).

Cat will need lash adj (already said).
Oil changes are at similar interval (1 per yr).
Warranty work...they will not do cat, so I would have to take to cat SC and the local cat SC has a bad repuation for putting RVers in the back of the line.

FOr me, at least, this will factor into my decision when I buy the next MH.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #14

....maybe "a good fire investigator" ....not all are that good-some are part time hardware store clerks down south.....geofkaye