Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What is a Banks System?

What is this Banks System with a programer I see in some adds? I'm thinking it may be a programable ignition module or similar?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Type BANKS in the search window...lotsa information in the archives.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Gale Banks has a company, Banks Power that makes kits to improve gas or diesel engine power and torque. Banks Power | Diesel Performance and Gas Performance Products He has a variety of products that are expensive but high quality and thoroughly tested. You can get programmers that piggy-back on the engine ECU, more efficient headers and intake manifolds, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

Its an expensive upgrade to get you a tiny bit more power and even smaller gain in mpg. It helps the motor with air in and out and a computer curve on the timing. If you drive a lot of mile may be worth it but Banks thinks his stuff is gold but it does work
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #5

I installed the Banks Power pack on my 8.3L ISC. It changed the performance of my rig completely. Aside from the increase in HP and Torque, I went from 6.5 - 7.0 MPG to 8.5 - 9.0 MPG.
The reason the kit was so pricy is because it was the Full Meal Deal. A complete engineered system for the 8.3 ISC Engine that infaced with the Allison Transmission in a Motorhome application.
The kit consists of:
- New Turbo Exhaust Housing
- New Turbo Waste Gate Assembly. Banks "Big Head"
- New OttoMind. This is the Computer interface between the Banks system and the Cummins ECU (engine control unit)
- New wiring harness, Intake manifold pressure gauge, Exhaust temp gauge, all mounting hardware etc, etc, etc,
- Installation and instruction manual.

Unfortunatley, because the ISC is no longer a production engine from Cummins and is not used in current production motorhomes, Banks has ceased production of this kit. I believe they still market the Stinger Kit for the 5.9 engine which is a stripped down version of the full Power Pack kit that they built for the ISC.

If my Ottomind packs it in for some reason and I have to go back to the stock version, I will miss the Banks kit for sure.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 View Post
Its an expensive upgrade to get you a tiny bit more power and even smaller gain in mpg. It helps the motor with air in and out and a computer curve on the timing. If you drive a lot of mile may be worth it but Banks thinks his stuff is gold but it does work
It all depends on what you put it on.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
At RV Rally's I have spoken with the Banks Rep's. They will guarantee more engine power but will not guarantee any measurable increased fuel milage. For me the cost is greater than the return.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
That is a blanket statement and needs to be qualified. The Banks System has been Dyno'ed on some engines and found to add a respectable amount of power. They sometimes will claim a very small increase in MPG but are usually reasonable about it. Any fuel efficiency gained however is incidental and not the point of the systems.

They are definitely not cheap but they are also very well tested and very high quality. I have heard that on the modern V10, the gains are not that substantial anymore. I haven't seen any Dyno results one way or the other.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

I had a banks turbo on a Cummins ISC 350, It raised the effective HP, (my estimate about 25%) and I averaged 2 MPG better fuel economy with the turbo on.

Cost was not a significant factor for me, think it was about $2-3K. I wanted to run up hills without any issues and the Banks Turbo enabled me to do that. The fuel economy was a side benefit.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I had a banks turbo on a Cummins ISC 350, It raised the effective HP, (my estimate about 25%) and I averaged 2 MPG better fuel economy with the turbo on. Cost was not a significant factor for me, think it was about $2-3K. I wanted to run up hills without any issues and the Banks Turbo enabled me to do that. The fuel economy was a side benefit.
Could not have said it better myself
Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is this Banks System with a programer I see in some adds? I'm thinking it may be a programable ignition module or similar?
It is a expensive exhaust system of questionable value IMHO
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
It is a expensive exhaust system of questionable value IMHO
I agree, the full Banks system is relatively expensive, but IMHO it is worth every penny. I installed the full system (Ram air intake, filter, cold air ducting, headers, exhaust and Transcommander) on my 37' 1997 460 and it totally transformed the MH. I am no longer the "slow poke" on hills or out of lights. I don't know if I gained any fuel mileage because, to be honest, the MH is so much more fun to drive that I'm probably accelerating faster and going faster. Before the Banks system I had to make a concious effort to maintaint 55 mph. If I didn't, I would end up going slower. Now, I still have to pay attention, but it's because I'm going to fast. I'll sometimes be talking with my wife and notice that I'm going 70 or even 75 mph!! So, to me the power was worth the cost. On the 460 engine I think the increase quoted was 85 hp and 120 tq and it is very noticeable.
Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO, the answer to what it does, depends heavily on what is installed on. I had full Banks on my 01 V-10 and it turned out to be the biggest waste of money I have made in 40+ years of RV travel. That being said, a friend with a 460 found a great difference, and I agree with his assessment.