Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #29

WOW. I've never seen one of those. We have a 7X16 enclosed that we used to pull behind the Dodge and stay in at the track. It has 12v lighting, A/C, TV, microwave and is completely wires with 120vac. We race motorcycles and that's the primary reason for the MH in the first place. Now the trailer is for our friends that don't have a place to stay to spend the night in. The way we have it set up right now is the way it was when we were sleeping in it. I need to rearrange it so there's less storage space to make room for more motorcycles.

SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
The car, Harley, Can Am, golf cart and trailer is just at 16k....hitch is rated for 15k. I am using the fudge factor. Next coach is rated for 20k.
I assume you can feel that much weight back there?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
I assume you can feel that much weight back there?
Not really, only in fuel mileage.....it pulls great, with less road wander than any 4 down I have pulled.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Stackers on the rear of a motor home.

I have dealt with motor home owners who want to tow stacker trailers and just plain heavy regular height trailers with their motor homes.

Primary concerns of using a motor home to tow trailers:
1. Tongue weight; that can overload hitches, frames, rear suspensions, rear tire weight ratings, side wall flex and especially the welded frames of slide-outs.
2. Stopping the extra weight; usually this is 12,000 to 20,000 extra pounds. Trailer brake control and trailer brakes MUST be the BEST YOU CA BUY. Don't scrimp on dollars here!
3. Horsepower of the coach. Some people have towed stackers with 5.7 Cummins but they have to chip it or keep it on the floor most of the time.
We recommend to our customers they try to get a 8.3 Cummins (or the new 6.7 seems to be doing well) with at least 325 to 425 H.P., especially if trips through the mountains is in your future.
Jake Brake is mandatory or similar product that is matched to your engine.
4. Transmission coolers and for sure a trans temp guage.

We build a product that is designed specifically for motor homes that tow heavy trailers; the Trailer Toad 3500HD or the 5000SD.
This product basically takes all the tongue weight off your coach and you are flat-towing your trailer.

Yes, these trailers take you over factory weight limits; yes, they take more room to stop; yes, you have to drive defensively because your stopping distance is a bit longer. However, the coach will stop better with the Trailer Toad than without because the coach will not be "light in the front" causing the front tires to skid. It also allows the ABS to activate correctly.

Everyone wants to take their toys, the shop, mom's car, the scooters, golf cart and "stuff" they can't get in the coach. This is especially true for full-timers or someone on a big adventure.

We use our stacker to haul Trailer Toads to trade shows and also to carry our two drag cars, golf cart, spare parts, tools, Yamaha scooter, awnings and other stuff we use.

Any questions about the Trailer Toad or adding a hitch to your coach, we are the experts and are now a sponsor of the iRV2 forums.

Ask anything about towing a trailer and I have probably got a good reliable answer. With 800 Trailer Toads in use...."we have heard just about everything when it comes to towing with a motor home or truck camper".

Thanks for a great site with excellent input from members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	30645  
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikbike View Post
Mine has either a Mini Cooper S Convertible or 08 Road Glide w/sidecar and a built 2001 Club Car DS 48V.
nice trailer, i just bought one from them this summer to haul my race car, great people to deal with too.
howes1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howes1387 View Post
nice trailer, i just bought one from them this summer to haul my race car, great people to deal with too.

Yup real nice folks to deal with. Like to buy local when I can and the price can't be beat. Way cheaper then the featherlite I was looking at and evry bit as nice a trailer.

jeff
quikbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My 30 foot trailer that I tow is my rolling garage. The major item's are my car and motorcycle. However, there is just about everything there that would normally be stored in my garage. If it doesn't have a place in the coach it goes into the trailer.

Ladders, tables, tools, golf clubs, fishing gear, tread mill, blue boy, storage cabinets completely full, pressure washer, air compressor, and a spare coach tire.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Great photo.
Carolina Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Where is the best place to buy a stacker. I have been looking for a while and there is a wide range in prices.
Flying A Motorsports, Cuba MO

http://flyingamotorsports.com/index....293d16e682336d

the best guys to work with...even if you are not local....a true customer orientated business
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pretty much whatever the owner wants.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have purchased several trailers over the years and one method I used was to go to the major trailer builder websites and look at their Dealer Listings. In my opinion, if you can work with a local dealer you will be better off. Almost all the trailers I have bought needed some warranty work. Loose siding, rear door alignment, wiring issues. Usually nothing major but when you spend over $25K you deserve service.

If I was full-timing I would get a "short stacker", no higher than my coach. THis helps with wind and tree clearance issues.
Put your "shop/garage stuff, motor cycles, golf cart, etc on the hoist and they will be up and out of the way.
Get to the campground and all you have to do is roll out the daily driver and you can have bicycles, scooters etc on the floor.
If you want to work on something all you have to do is "lower the workshop down" and you have your garage.

Make sure you spend some time with the trailer shop designeing the floor plan, etc. It DOES NOT cost more to get it right the first time. You can also get a "full floor hoist" where the hoist is literally a 7'6" wide and 24' long floor that goes up.

Get 8000 pound oil-bath axles and an electric winch to lift and lower the rear tailgate (makes life a LOT easier.)

Any questions on stackers, give me a call or drop me an email. Be glad to share what I have found out.

Travel safe,

Jok Nicholson
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Fun View Post
Great photo.
That photo was taken on our return trip from Alaska in 2010. it was on the Alaskan highway in British Columbia some miles south of Liard Hot Springs where we spent the previous night soaking in the hot springs.

As we were climbing elevation I could see that is was snowing but not sticking to the roads. We pulled over at a rest area to let our Golden Retriever go out and play in the snow.

Lots of fun.

Had to be careful when we got back on the road as the salt trucks were out which also brought out caribou and sheep to the roads where there were licking up the salt. We encountered 3-4 groups of them and they would not move too quickly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
And, here is another one. Stacker, 50 amp, work area, and the list goes on.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
The PO of our Monaco pulled an aluminum 35' stacker with 2 dragsters and a full shop.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am talking about those enclosed trailers that are huge. I even see them behind older 2000 ish MH's. And once in awhile you see a trailer painted like the MH. I looked at the normal enclosed car carrier trailer - these trailers are taller and longer. I see non-tag axel MH's towing most of these huge trailers but once in awhile I see the Tags towing trailers just about as large as the MH. Last year a Prevost with huge matching trailer pulled into the RV park not far from me. They were there for 5 days but never came outside. My.guess - these are people going to car shows that have multiple cars...am I right? (Some of the trailers are high enough to stack cars on top of each other).
My guess?......MONEY!........ (for fuel, maintenance and repairs)!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote