Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some folks have considerable disposable income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
My guess?......MONEY!........ (for fuel, maintenance and repairs)!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It could be their MIL. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1530884265.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	30887

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Actually, we have a member doing just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
It could be their MIL. :-)

Cliff

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BEER!! Jim
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #47

So how often do you guys pulling the trailers encounter parking problems or getting a large space in an RV park. Or do you plan that out ahead of time to ensure you have adequate facilities? I toying with the thought of getting one about 24 foot long so am wondering about the potential problems. Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
DWs shoes & clothes..........
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
So how often do you guys pulling the trailers encounter parking problems or getting a large space in an RV park. Or do you plan that out ahead of time to ensure you have adequate facilities? I toying with the thought of getting one about 24 foot long so am wondering about the potential problems. Thanks
Bob
I just started pulling a 24' 'vnose' enclosed trailer in Oct 2011. My first one the mfg shorted me 2" in door height. They treated me very fairly as my Escalade would not clear the door and made me a new trailer. I have a side ramp door up front to load my Harley Road Glide and can put vehicle in back. 3 'E' track to allow flexibility in hauling multiple motorcycles or vehicles.

I have also used my trailer for extra beds, 3 queen air mattress for NASCAR races. I had mine pre-wired for 30 amp service and trying to decide whether to mount roof air/heat for additional comfort?

I do plan ahead and try to get pull through sites long enough so I don't have to unhook. Otherwise, like Tiger Run RV resort in Breckenridge I just backed Escalade out and used it to park trailer in my spot and backed Motormome in next to it, plenty of width to get both in and all slides out with still patio space.

It isn't as convenient as pulling 4 wheels down in my opinion, but your car or toys are sure clean when you get to your destination. I use to have a vehicle I could tow 4 wheels down which was nice to have the flexibility especially for taking Motorhome for service, but hasn't been that big of deal. On the other hand, I don't get wet or dirty hooking up car.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Big Enclosed Trailers Behind Motohomes

We pull a Honda CRV toad behind our coach. There have been many times when I have needed different items when we were 500 miles from home. My question is: what would be some of the disadvantages of pulling a large enclosed trailer (with the Honda inside plus other items)?

Thanks and I appreciate your comments.

Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Where is the best place to buy a stacker. I have been looking for a while and there is a wide range in prices.
Take your pick:

Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #52

Actual stacker owner

As mentioned, most stackers are used by folks hauling race cars. We carry three vintage race cars in ours; two Triumph's and a Formula car. Plus a scooter, couple of bicycles, roll-away tool cabinet, jacks & stands, at least 12 extra tire/wheels, etc.

Not all have a four-post lift, ours has a pivot lift that is hinged about 8' aft of the front and the rear lowers down via winch. Second winch pulls cars up the ramp. I typically load one Triumph and the Formula car up top, and the other Triumph, scooter, and tools on the lower deck. At 24', we've never been cramped for room and have plenty of indoor space to work on cars inside if necessary. We plug the trailer into the coach's power system for 110V.

Our stacker has worked out well, but we're in the process of selling it and the motorhome and switching to a toterhome / trailer setup. Something built on a big chassis with at least 1600 lb ft of torque and big tow capacity.

Name:	loaded up ready to roll.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	32610

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	32611

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	32612
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #53

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Bob
Fairly new with my setup, but I'm 63-64' total and you need to plan your route carefully, along with any stops. I make sure I have enough diesel to make it to the next truck stop. I only plan on towing to car shows with this setup, like the AACA Hershey PA meet. Most all National car meets such as AACA will have camping spots for the rig with a trailer, or a racetrack as some mentioned. Many times with no hookups, but not really necessary with the Class A with just myself and my son, and just sleeping there at night. Many of these meets do have local campgrounds with pull thru sites, but most have a minimum stay and require sometimes a year/prepaid advance reservation.

Pic below of one of my show cars...wouldn't want to tow behind the RV with a bar...out in the elements
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_001754.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	32613  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Bullheaded, with a 45 ft RV and a 24ft trailer have you ever run afoul of maximum length laws?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Bob

Never had a problem with the size. We're right at max legal length for our state: 65'. We never go to RV parks or "Kampgrounds", (with the stacker) we're at race tracks with plenty of room, in the desert with unlimited room, or similar. Fueling, parking lots, etc, has never been a problem either, you just need to be aware how long & high you are and drive accordingly.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Bullheaded, with a 45 ft RV and a 24ft trailer have you ever run afoul of maximum length laws?
Nope...there are 6 to 8 stackers here in the park I'm at now that with the v-nose total about 30ft like mine.
Got it about a year ago and have put 6000 miles on it with no issues.

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote