Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
While we don't have an enclosed trailer we do have a 20ft equipment trailer that we hauled around the country last year for 7k miles in 5 weeks. Total length with tongue and all was 65to 70ft long. We had no problem finding places with pull thru's in all but one stop but since we were planning on being there a few days anyway it was no problem to disconnect to have the trailer in another place. But that one we also had to angle the RV to fit the space since it was only "supposed" to be for a 30ft not a 40ft RV, lol. The office at that one was very nice and actually suggested doing that.
No we did plan out the trip all that much with making reservations days or months in advance. We would drive and then about noon or so start thinking about where we might want to stop for the night and then start calling a few in the area. Sometimes it was just stopping off at the welcome center for a state, rest area (truck parking area of course) or a truck stop if we happened to keep driving till after dark.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have towed enclosed trailers across the country and back several times over the past 20+ years and I think only one year were we under 65'. I have been stopped, measured and weighed. The one DOT guys was surprised one year when I was 77'. All he said was "you are lucky you are not a commercial rig, that could cost you. Have a great day!"

We have stayed three months in Florida campgrounds, County and State Parks across the Country, hundreds of nights in Wal-Marts and every single time the trailer, Trailer Toad (since 2005) and race cars have been with us.

I have never had a RV Park manager tell me to go away. Most have asked if there was anyting they could do to help get us into our spot. We have had them bring a tractor over and "wiggle" the stacker into a corner parking spot a couple times. I think they liked doing it and it was "entertainment" for the other guys that were camping there. usually ended up with an evening of "adult beverages" shared by all and some stories being told.

Nothing beats "hitting the road" and being able to take all your "stuff" without overloading the motor home and you "stuff" stays clean, secure and dry. I would never travel without my trailer. It carries the daily driver, tool boxes, scooters. bicycles, awnings, extra spare tires, fuel, floor jack, spare parts for motor home, lawn chairs, ladder and much more. By using the Trailer Toad all the tongue weight is carried by the Trailer Toad and none of it goes to the coach frame and structure. Literally has saved my last three pushers from damages that tongue weight and rough roads throw at the coach.

If you are going to "make that trip you have dreamed of and worked for"....why not take enough "stuff" to enjoy yourself?

Safe travels to all.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #59

We are new to the RV world, we have a Damon Intruder powered by a Triton V-10, I'm contemplating whether to go for a tow dollie or move up to a trailer which will allow us to take the car and motorcyle. I would need a 24' trailer to comfortably carry both vehicles. The next big decision, is to choose between open or enclosed trailer. I would like to tap into the vast knowledge and experience on this site to help me to determine what would be the benefit or downfall between the two trailer options.
The only one I can think of is the weight, wind resistance would be considerably greater with the enclosed trailer.
Les
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #60

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksie View Post
We are new to the RV world, we have a Damon Intruder powered by a Triton V-10, I'm contemplating whether to go for a tow dollie or move up to a trailer which will allow us to take the car and motorcyle. I would need a 24' trailer to comfortably carry both vehicles. The next big decision, is to choose between open or enclosed trailer. I would like to tap into the vast knowledge and experience on this site to help me to determine what would be the benefit or downfall between the two trailer options.
The only one I can think of is the weight, wind resistance would be considerably greater with the enclosed trailer.
Les
The first thing that you need to determine is your towing capacity, your GVWR, how much you weigh in normal usage and then the weight of the cargo you would like to tow. This will certainly help you decide on the type of trailer that you can pull.

In all likelihood, with the Ford V-10 you probably have a 5,000 lb towing capacity. This is what we have in our '05 National RV and I think is pretty standard for most gas RV's. Assuming that you do have 5,000 lbs of available towing capacity, and want to tow a car and a motorcycle, I would be looking for a good quality open, flatbed trailer.

We went through the same calculations when deciding on how to tow our VW, that can't be towed 4-down and with the weight of our car, we were limited to an open,flatbed trailer. With the car and the trailer we are a few hundred pounds under our max towing capability of 5,000 lbs. This is with a 16ft trailer.

A quick google search of 24' enclosed car trailers shows an average empty weight of 2,600 - 3,800 pounds ... that doesn't leave much capacity if you're limited to 5,000 pounds of towing.

Best of luck with your decision .. make sure to keep us updated!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to tow a car and a bike you have several options.
1 - Flat bed trailer
2 - enclosed trailer
3 - lift of some sort for the bike and a tow dolly
4 - Tandem towing. That is basically a tow dolly that you also use to tow a bike.

We are looking at changing how we tow our 4Runner and bike so we understand the difficulties in deciding. Each has it's own pros and cons.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toys toys yoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's an awesome liftgate stacker trailer, being towed by a Newell Coach. This trailer offers an upper level for what looks like 2 cars, as well as car and toy storage on the lower level.

This is the way to travel!

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #64

You can't hide money! ! Wow !
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you thinking of towing your first trailer with a V-10, which we did for two years with a Class C, I would suggest a 24' enclosed trailer.
Get the very basic model with the heaviest axles they will sell you, at the very least make sure it comes with 6-lug hubs and ST225/75R15E tires (even if that is an option).

I wouldn't give it a second thought on being over what might be a 5000-lb towing limit. I am 14,000 lbs over my towing limit and have never had one problem. Simply allow room for stopping, buy the best trailer brake controller you can get and put a transmission temperature guage in it along with Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid.

The biggest concern when towing an enclosed trailer with a motor home is the tongue weight and the constant "pounding" the coach frame and body take from the weight and the rough highways. We solved that problem by designing the Trailer Toad motor home hitch. I can tow my 17,000 lb trailer with 1900-lbs of tongue weight and NONE of the tongue weight transfers to the coach. No flexing of the coach frame or floor, no stress on the side walls and the Trailer Toad improves handling and braking. Check out or website and if we can help you on a trailer decision I would be glad to do so. We have owned a lot of trailers and have "learned the hard way" what brands to stay away from.

You will love having "all your stuff" with you when you hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	32805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	32806  

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #66

I pull a 28' enclosed trailer with my 40' Fleetwood Revolution. My only recommendation is to have a 5' extended tongue built on your trailer, which will increase your turning radius. We race motocross and travel from state to state. My rig is 74' in length, and have never been bothered by anyone about being over the legal length.

Bobby
2006 Fleetwood Revolution
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerToad1 View Post
If you thinking of towing your first trailer with a V-10, which we did for two years with a Class C, I would suggest a 24' enclosed trailer.
Get the very basic model with the heaviest axles they will sell you, at the very least make sure it comes with 6-lug hubs and ST225/75R15E tires (even if that is an option).

I wouldn't give it a second thought on being over what might be a 5000-lb towing limit. I am 14,000 lbs over my towing limit and have never had one problem. Simply allow room for stopping, buy the best trailer brake controller you can get and put a transmission temperature guage in it along with Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid.

The biggest concern when towing an enclosed trailer with a motor home is the tongue weight and the constant "pounding" the coach frame and body take from the weight and the rough highways. We solved that problem by designing the Trailer Toad motor home hitch. I can tow my 17,000 lb trailer with 1900-lbs of tongue weight and NONE of the tongue weight transfers to the coach. No flexing of the coach frame or floor, no stress on the side walls and the Trailer Toad improves handling and braking. Check out or website and if we can help you on a trailer decision I would be glad to do so. We have owned a lot of trailers and have "learned the hard way" what brands to stay away from.

You will love having "all your stuff" with you when you hit the road.
Do you have an ISB and an Allison 2500 trans in that coach? if so - man you are reeeeeeeeally streching it. I have a CAT 3126 and an Allison 3000... I've been considering going the stacker route. Wind resistance has been a big one for me to think about.

What does your rig do for MPG with that setup?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #68

I have the Allison 3000, and a 400hp Cummins. I average 6 to 7 mpg. I have plenty of power, and it pulls very well. I average around 12k miles a year pulling a trailer.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #69
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the question was deirected to TrailerToad1

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote