Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What is it I don't know about batteries?

Even though DW & I went to Boot Camp in March, still lots to learn about the MH lifestyle.
Just spent a week at a RV resort and enjoyed almost every minute! The only issue was trying to leave today, and after stowing everything, up come the jacks, and when I go to crank the engine, I got the infamous "er, er, er, er, nothing". Coach batteries need a jump. Was able to jump off my P/U, but this has happened before at the end of a vacation.
I spent a week plugged into the 50 amp power, the indicator lights on my panel showed batteries were good. Batteries are a couple of years old, and I have a watering system, so they remain in good shape.

It seems logical that there is something (?) drawing from the coach batteries when I remain in an RV park? Any suggestions on what that something may be, and any suggested remedies?

TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Chances are your chassis (starting) battery does not get charged when plugged in. Many systems are like this.

You should have a "boost" switch that will tie the house batteries into the chassis battery system for starting.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds as if everything is working as it should. Your house batteries are being charged and are in good condition as you are plugged into shore power and are most likely at or near full charge when you are preparing to leave. However, as Jim mentioned above, on your Phaeton, it sounds as if your chassis batteries are not being maintained while you are on shore power so they possibly may be dead or have depleted their charge at the time you pull up camp. However, they should be okay after a week so I'm thinking that they may be weak to begin with (you said your house batteries are two years old and are on a watering system but how old are the chassis batteries and how do they test out?).

Yes, you probably will continue to have dead chassis batteries (if you are sitting at a site for a long length of time) even when plugged into shore power. Remember, they are separate banks of batteries. You have a coach or house battery bank which are being charged while plugged in and a separate chassis battery bank that starts your engine that are not being charged. Since the chassis battery bank is not being charged when plugged in, you run the risk that they may lose their charge and not be able to start your engine even though you are continually maintaining your house batteries while being plugged into the RV park pedestal ...especially if you are using your in-dash radio or CD-player.

Here's one solution and what many of us have used ...install a TRIK-L-START or AMP-L-START. By doing this, you'll never have to worry about a dead chassis battery. It will automatically "steal" a bit of power from the house system to charge your chassis batteries so that you should easily be able to start the engine when leaving the RV park.

A TRIK-L-START is only $48.95 and the AMP-L-START which gives an additonal 10 amps is $64.95. The TRIK-L-START at 5 amps should be adequate, however.

TRIK-L-START

AMP-L-START

Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
It sounds as if everything is working as it should. Your house batteries are being charged and are in good condition as you are plugged into shore power and are most likely at or near full charge when you are preparing to leave. However, as Jim mentioned above, on your Phaeton, it sounds as if your chassis batteries are not being maintained while you are on shore power so they possibly may be dead or have depleted their charge at the time you pull up camp. However, they should be okay after a week so I'm thinking that they may be weak to begin with (you said your house batteries are two years old and are on a watering system but how old are the chassis batteries and how do they test out?).

Yes, you probably will continue to have dead chassis batteries (if you are sitting at a site for a long length of time) even when plugged into shore power. Remember, they are separate banks of batteries. You have a coach or house battery bank which are being charged while plugged in and a separate chassis battery bank that starts your engine that are not being charged. Since the chassis battery bank is not being charged when plugged in, you run the risk that they may lose their charge and not be able to start your engine even though you are continually maintaining your house batteries while being plugged into the RV park pedestal ...especially if you are using your in-dash radio or CD-player.

Here's one solution and what many of us have used ...install a TRIK-L-START or AMP-L-START. By doing this, you'll never have to worry about a dead chassis battery. It will automatically "steal" a bit of power from the house system to charge your chassis batteries so that you should easily be able to start the engine when leaving the RV park.

A TRIK-L-START is only $48.95 and the AMP-L-START which gives an additonal 10 amps is $64.95. The TRIK-L-START at 5 amps should be adequate, however.

TRIK-L-START

AMP-L-START

This is all good info but.....

The coach sat for a week and the chassis bat was dead, do you have something that is plug in off of the chassis batteries, like a radar detector, cb that maybe you forgot to turn off.....

How old is your chassis battery??
Old 06-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are a lot of things that cause you to lose current. If he gets a trickle charger that he wires directly to his battery that will fix the problem. He might have trouble in where he plugs it in. My allegro Bus did not have a plug in near the batteries. Someone wired one into the input side of the inverter and plugged the trickle charger into that. What I am curious about is why he had to use his towed pickup to start it with. Does phaetons not have the switch to tie your chassis and house batteries together for starting purposes?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several things can drain the chassis battery when sitting, from the engine ECM memory to the dash radio and or clock, or maybe even a over cab dome light.

We use a simple dashboard sized solar panel plugged into the cigar lighter to off-set these parasitic draws.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
This is all good info but.....

The coach sat for a week and the chassis bat was dead, do you have something that is plug in off of the chassis batteries, like a radar detector, cb that maybe you forgot to turn off.....

How old is your chassis battery??
Yes, but I did mention that a week does sound too short of time for the chassis batteries to be discharged and asked the condition of those batteries. I also mentioned if using things like the dash radio- cd player, etc. could have played a part in the discharge.

But now that I think of it, all the responses following mine are much better suggestions as the TRIK-L-START suggestion is more for leaving the coach plugged in for longer periods of time.

However, the OP still may want to consider a TRIK-L-START nonetheless. It not only will solve having a dead battery for the short one week stays because of parasitic draws but will also aid in keeping the chassis batteries maintained when plugged in for longer periods of time.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof antenna booster.

Our JACK roof antenna booster power 12 VDC was wired into our chassis
battery. Check that out too.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #9

Make sure your engine heater is not on.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You would think--- would you not?-- that when you buy a 41 ft DP at the level Tiffin builds, that something as basic as the chassis batteries being trickle charged would have already been addressed during initial design and construction.

We fulltime, parking for 3 to 5 months at a shot. I follow a careful two-step protocol: 1) when I arrive I turn off the engine; 2) just before departure I start the engine.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Could be they're supposed to be charging while on shore power but can't because of something like this ...

At a glance, nothing may appear wrong, but...

-- A new $24 solenoid fixed my problem. Doesn't have to be so obvious as this either, just a loose or dirty cable is all it takes...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are temporarily full time while house hunting and even though our systems charges the chassis battery, I installed a small regular charger in the coach beside the passenger seat next to a wall plug and ran the positive and negative cords town to, and hooked up to the chassis battery. I also check the starter circuit for voltage every couple of weeks.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

My friend has a 2007 Phaeton and had problems at the rv park. I looked it over and found the battery maintain charger had blown the inline fuse going to the battery. We replaced the fuse and it charged again OK. I just bought a 2008 Phaeton and has the same system on it. In the rear basement compartment on the left side there is a little charger plugged in an outlet and has the charger leads going accross to the battery on the right side and connected to the leads coming off of the battery. The fuse was right close to where the charger lead connected to the battery connection on the right side. I think it was a 10 amp automotive fuse.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

I had the same experience when camping in our class C moho. No chassis battery charging when plugged into shore power. I do have the battery boost button, but that doesn't keep you from abusing your chassis batteries by running them down. I solved it by wiring up a Battery Minder, and plugging it into an extension cord at the power pedestal.

Silly problem to have when they could easily install the appropriate chassis battery maintenance system to run off the shore power source.

Ughhh

Roy

HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries