Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #29
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I did several weeks in Denver several years ago. I listen to the radio a lot when driving. One of the things I recall was a lot of talk about how underfunded the Colorado state pension system was and what was going to be done about it. I do not follow their politics but I would assume the closed rest areas are part of the answer. Their 3 million in savings is peanuts in a 28 Billion budget.

Politicians like to send a message to the voters by curtailing spending for items highly visible and with impact on the public. They are saying "see, we told you we need to raise taxes".

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #30
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Rest Areas - Don't get me started! Try the New England states, especially Mass. I absolutely detest driving through that state to get to Maine. Porta Potties and the rest area building closed! Enough said!

They have had a rest area renovation program for quite a while the same as NY did. Asbestos elimination and replacing aged out facilities. MassDOT only shows one rest area with Porta Potties so that is probably the one being worked on. Probably one of the last one's to get done as there are a lot of pictures of new one's on line.

To put it in perspective those highways and their facilities date back to the 1950's or earlier. They carry close to capacity many weekends. That is a lot of people using the rest areas so they wore out. If I was younger I watch to see how long the new facilities last compared to the old ones. ;-)

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #31

Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Thanks for the info...those parks look pretty good and close enough to the city so we could explore downtown.

I've wanted to go through the Eisenhower Tunnel on 70 for several years now and so we may do it next year and visit Denver and Golden too.
And the drive through Glenwood Canyon and it's rest stops along the Colorado are truly spectacular.. a couple of nice campgrounds in Glenwood Springs as well.. And the state Rest Area at Vail pass has spectacular views and a really nice facility as well..
There are some big rig friendly stops in Monument Between Denver and Colorado Springs and north of Denver along I 25... Also a TA just before starting the first grade on I 70 in Arvada.. They are out there just require some planning..
Don't let that stop your visit.. Really beautiful here..
Ron Husak
Conifer, CO
Living at 9200 Feet and looking down at ya!
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #32
National RV Owners Club
Sorry the rest areas in Mpnoument closed severalyears ago, now a chain up area if anything
2005 Dolphin 5355
1992 Toyota Dolphin
boardpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #33
Sigh .., I did not mean to start a flame war against any state. I will admit that as far as CO goes, the rest areas in the mountains along the Colorado rivet go, they are drop dead gorgeous. Just not visible as such from the highway until you have passed them .., and far more accessible to cars (though diable I think for rv's if you know what is ahead). Politics and money will always carry the day, in ANY state. I guess just be aware in CO that you need to fuel diesel before or just when entering the state (similar for Indiana ...). Part of the "game" I guess . Thanks all for your insights
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #34
National RV Owners Club
Love Colorado, and love Denver. But, the no Rest Areas is ridiculous, and the rudest, least considerate drivers in any of the 40 States we've traveled through are in and around the Denver area.
Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #35
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
Love Colorado, and love Denver. But, the no Rest Areas is ridiculous, and the rudest, least considerate drivers in any of the 40 States we've traveled through are in and around the Denver area.

It's a toss-up between Denver & Dallas as far as inconsiderate drivers. I'll go quite far out of the way to avoid either after 27 years in Dallas. I'm glad to be sitting in South Fork Colorado for the next month watching the temps in Dallas.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #36
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are in Lake City, CO enjoying 50 degree temperatures this morning. After breakfast we will be heading out in the jeep to view some of the most awesome mountain passes in the world. Not all bad.
2008 HR Neptune XL
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #37
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Colorado ought to do a partnership with an insurance company to fund the rest areas. In Virginia GEICO funds ours and gets to advertise at them. In Maryland, it's State Farm. These insurance companies have the money. Unfortunately, too much of mine :(
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi Our state does LOTS wrong for sure..
As for camp Grounds the best I could recommend are Either Cherry Creek State Park, Or Chatfield State Park.. Both are very nice and roomy.. Can make reservations on line.. Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden is nice but tight..
Dakota Ridge is the only nice park in the Denver area. Right at the C470 and I70 interchange in Golden. As far as I25. Stay out of Denver between the hours of 5 to 9 am and 2 to 6 pm or else your in stop and go traffic. If you have to go north to south and vis versa the alternative is to take the E470 on the east side and pay the toll. They take a pic of your license plate and mail you a bill. You will avoid the traffic but you have to pay to do that. Yes Colorado is not a friendly RV state. Best bet it to park some place as a home base and use you toad to see the sites.
Do your homework before you head that way.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #39
After 30+ years living in Colorado I'd like to drop in on the dance. First up: driving I-25 and I-70 is not "visiting Colorado", it's the fastest way n/s and e/w. It would be similar to flying over NYC and saying "yep, I've seen the Statue of Liberty". The mountains in Colorado are taxing on any vehicle and the parade of longer RVs plodding up I-70 are in plain english a PIA - and they have every right to be there. There are limited fuel stops and rest areas because of state funding issues AND big rigs take I-80 e/w since the grades are significantly less. To camp close to the metro area your choices are Cherry Creek State Park and Chatfield State Park. Both can accommodate larger rigs. We're purchasing right now and "the boss" wants a 30' or less and wants to go to Colorado to see the rockies, and I'm lobbying for a DP since I know what those mountains are like and having dawdled behind many an underpowered RV going into the mountains I don't wanna be one of the problems RVs on the highway. Best way is to either camp in the metro area and take the toad into the mountains or enter the mountains from south of the metro area on HWY 50 or come down from the north entering from Wyoming. Denver is a nightmare for any vehicle, not just RVs.
Just my two cents worth of grumpiness as I've seen the beauty of the state when you get off the freeway.
tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #40
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Washington state has 26 state-run rest areas that also offer "free coffee" supplied by non-profit organizations which would like the recipients of the coffee to donate:

WSDOT - Free Coffee Program

Washington has had the free coffee program for decades but there was a time a few years back where it was scaled back or ended(?). It's now back at 26-locations.

ETA- What is stark?
When we spent the night in a Washington State rest area, the women's club was there the next morning serving free coffee and donuts for donations only.
Dump stations were working as well and what a welcome surprise. The wildlife view in the back over a wall was nice as well.
Another great place for a stop was the ND welcome center going east, which overlooked the badlands and one could see wild horses and bison with a pair of binoculars.
Also impressed with a Missouri welcome center going east and not far from Branson. Here we stayed over night, next to a high end lighted and covered picnic table with a brick paver sidewalk right outside our door and almost like being in a high end RV resort. The bldg. was museum like, if I remember correctly.
Don't forget to stop for free orange and grapefruit juice when entering my state of FL on I95 south.
All these sure were a far cry from some of the states we entered in our travels.
07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #41
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please excuse my naivety as far as the situation in Colorado. I have lived in Colorado about 20 years on and off, but just this weekend we traveled from our home in Crested Butte in the mountains to the Front Range in the flat lands where Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Longmont and Fort Collins are located. These are two different Colorado's. The Mountains are peaceful with numerous camp locations to pull off for the night if required. The Front Range is a nightmare. The traffic, construction, traffic, poor conditions of the roads, traffic and lack of interstate rest areas are just horrible in the Front Range. Please avoid the Front Range areas and then see what Colorado is all about.

Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote