Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

What is it with Colorado ??

Just spent several days driving through / around Colorado ( up I25 from New Mexico and I70 east/west the width of the state. The EXTREMELY frustrating thing we noticed is the almost COMPLETE lack of either rest areas (except in the western mountains) and a nearly complete lack of truck stops with big-rig access and fast flow diesel pumps. What diesel there is is usually on a single island on the end of the gas pumps in regular gas stations. Seems amazingly not-hospitable to the traveling public. Cross in to either Utah or Kansas , and nearly the first things you see are either NICE rest areas or truck stops. So ... What is up with Colorado ???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last year when I entered CO using I25 from the south I exited where the small sign indicated "Welcome center". The WC was almost impossible to see from the exit and when I finally got to it, there was NOWHERE you could enter with a MH. We then spent many, many hours in stop and go traffic trying to get thru Denver northbound on I-25. I've driven our coach thru Atlanta many times and LA once, and nothing came close to the frustration of driving in CO. I sincerely hope I never have to go through there again.

Maybe they are spending all that Marijuana revenue on "more important" things than encouraging tourism, I really don't know.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe they don't want big RV's?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Legalize pot - just saying.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reason for no truck stops on I-70 is most trruck traffic goes north to I-80 and west. I agree, Denver on I-25 is nightmare. best are the beltway loops on east and west sides of metro. good luck. (retired from Denver after 35 yrs there.)
Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Good for them legalizing pot, they should outlaw alcohol that kills thousands of people every year!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pertaining to the rest stop issue, according to the report attached below from a couple of years ago, they continue to close Safety Rest Areas because of funding problems. They are researching alternative means of funding including commercialized rest areas, rest area privatization, and public-private partnerships. It seems I see quite a few of those in Utah especially.

From the attached report:
Quote:
Due to budget challenges, Colorado is looking for alternative funding sources for the operation and maintenance of its interstate safety rest areas (SRAs). Federal Code 23 U.S.C. § 111 prohibits commercial “establishments for serving motor vehicle users on any highway which has been, or is hereafter, designated as a highway . . . on the Interstate System”… “unless the establishment is owned by a state and existed in its location prior to January 1, 1960.” Based on this law, the majority of SRAs in the U.S. have been developed to provide motorists with access to restrooms, picnic tables, and vending machines, but no other commercial services.

In FY 2012, the cost of operating and maintaining twenty-seven rest areas in Colorado was just above $3.5 million. In addition, planned and emergency projects in 2012 cost CDOT an additional $251,233 for a total cost of approximately $3.75 million in 2012. Although CDOT’s cost of operating rest areas is lower than some states, the maintenance budget has not grown fast enough to finance their operation and maintenance. The closure of five SRAs in 2012 has been estimated to save the department $300,000 annually. CDOT also closed two SRAs in 2009 for financial and other reasons.

Implementation
As CDOT continues to close rest areas due to tight budgets, it should look for alternatives to fund their operation and maintenance. These alternatives include small-scale strategies such selling tourism related items or lottery tickets, and a large-scale strategy that includes developing a commercialized rest area outside of the interstate right of way through a public-private partnership. In addition, CDOT could advocate for changes to federal law.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Good for them legalizing pot, they should outlaw alcohol that kills thousands of people every year!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #9

I can see them closing a few rest areas ... But it seems like they have closed more than just a "few". The difference between CO versus Utah and Kansas on the highways is STARK. NM is ok on most of their roads, Wyoming seemed ok from what I remember from a couple years ago . Sad, I guess ... (Btw, first time for me through Kansas. Impression is very, very good support on the roads. First thing you see is "free coffee" at the welcome center. I have NEVER seen that in any other state ... :-)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to Denver about ten years ago and the campground we stayed at on the east side of town was so bad we only stayed one night.

I called a Denver RV store and asked them if there were any better RV parks and they said no.

Has it gotten any better as far as a nice RV park in the Denver area?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I can see them closing a few rest areas ... But it seems like they have closed more than just a "few". The difference between CO versus Utah and Kansas on the highways is STARK. NM is ok on most of their roads, Wyoming seemed ok from what I remember from a couple years ago . Sad, I guess ... (Btw, first time for me through Kansas. Impression is very, very good support on the roads. First thing you see is "free coffee" at the welcome center. I have NEVER seen that in any other state ... :-)
Washington state has 26 state-run rest areas that also offer "free coffee" supplied by non-profit organizations which would like the recipients of the coffee to donate:

WSDOT - Free Coffee Program

Washington has had the free coffee program for decades but there was a time a few years back where it was scaled back or ended(?). It's now back at 26-locations.

ETA- What is stark?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We use the truck stops, after all, the rest room is in the back.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is it with Colorado ??

I lived in Denver for about 5 years a long time ago- in the 70s. CO was not encouraging visitors then, and I suspect it's the same still. The problem, they felt, was that altogether too many visitors found the place beautiful, and stayed. A good many of those who decided to stay stayed in Denver- because that's where the jobs were- and would within a year be out on the front lines complaining about all these damn newcomers crowding things up. There was even a widespread bumper sticker campaign. Stickers everywhere proclaiming "Don't Californicate Colorado!" Everybody wants to be the last one in.

Of course, it's the Denver metroplex and the eastern slope in general that drive policy in CO, and many of those 70s immigrants, who 40 years ago just wanted to drive up into the mountains and get stoned, are now the ones running the show.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I lived in Denver for about 5 years a long time ago- in the 70s. CO was not encouraging visitors then, and I suspect it's the same still. The problem, they felt, was that altogether too many visitors found the place beautiful, and stayed. A good many of those who decided to stay stayed in Denver- because that's where the jobs were- and would within a year be out on the front lines complaining about all these damn newcomers crowding things up. There was even a widespread bumper sticker campaign. Stickers everywhere proclaiming "Don't Californicate Colorado!" Everybody wants to be the last one in.

Of course, it's the Denver metroplex and the eastern slope in general that drive policy in CO, and many of those 70s immigrants, who 40 years ago just wanted to drive up into the mountains and get stoned, are now the ones running the show.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
LOL...Here in Florida, we do pretty well providing travelers with rest areas on the main corridors, but the state has definitely been "Californicated"

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado