Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

If you want new go with gas in that price range. Ours handles fine and is very quiet. It has everything we want. 1.5 bath rooms, 4 tv's storage galore, very cheap to maintain, etc. And we have money to enjoy other travels around the world if so inclined.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #16

Ps you should be able to get 25-30% off any new coach including Tiffin and Newmar
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
You could be looking at coaches up to about 260K MSRP. Do some research on some real possibilities. I got a new 38 foot Pace Arrow LXE diesel for under 200K out of several possibilities for the money. Very happy with it after one year.

Just looked at that online. Very nice looking coach. That lists for 265k and you got it for under 200?
Raz6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Buy used. Let someone else pay the MASSIVE depreciation. You won't sleep where others have?? Have you ever stayed in a Hotel? Will you sit on the same seat someone else has sat on in a restaurant? Confused.

Yes you are right, I knew when I wrote that that someone was going to put forth the Hotel argument. I just never liked purchasing used (personal preference) but if it’s well maintained and still looks new and the year is not too old I would look at slightly used. Leftover would work as well provided it was what i was looking for. Thx for the input.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We went to RV show and found brand new 2017 Discovery LXE 40D/40E/40G with a signs in the window for 206,000. We purchased a 2017 Discovery 40D last March and put 11,500 miles on it and 140 days camping and not one problem nor not one warranty claim yet. Our 40D we help take the plastic off the seats so we could take for a test drive.

Just looked at the Discovery and it’s also a very nice Coach. Didn’t think about Fleetwood. They look nice! What is the reliability of these coaches. I know everyone has had a horror story or 2 but I mean are these relatively well made?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
All outstanding points by learned RVers. We started with gas and now have diesel and wished we'd started there for the primary reason of less noise, more stable ride, etc. Excellent valid recommendations for going used, however, my wife wanted new and that's the way we went. There are absolutely DPs out there for $200K. I drove the Forza, Ventana LE, Nexus Bentley, and I bought the Palazzo and would cheerfully do so again. See also the Aria 3601 or 3901. Quality? I can't speak to a '13 Thor product but can to an '18. Step into an 18 Aria vs an '18 Ventana LE. Tour factories.nothing beats your own research, test drives, and choice of floor plan. Have fun and keep us informed what you decide!

Thanks for the info, just a quick question. You state to look at the Ventana...Do you mean Newmar Ventana? I think any Diesel Newmar is out of my range unless used. I would love to look at Newmar but don’t think I could afford to do so.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz6200 View Post
Just looked at the Discovery and it’s also a very nice Coach. Didn’t think about Fleetwood. They look nice! What is the reliability of these coaches. I know everyone has had a horror story or 2 but I mean are these relatively well made?

Reliability is a moot point, considering everyone pretty much uses the same chassis and third party components. The difference is in the fit and finish, and the security of the attachments.

At that point, it comes down to floor plan, storage, and functionality. After sale support also becomes important.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Reliability is a moot point, considering everyone pretty much uses the same chassis and third party components. The difference is in the fit and finish, and the security of the attachments.

At that point, it comes down to floor plan, storage, and functionality. After sale support also becomes important.

Fair enough. Then how is the Fleetwood Fit/Finish? The pics look nice, but a lot of things look nice in pics.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post

Everyone DOESN'T use the same chassis. The 03-09 Monaco and Holiday Ramblers used the far superior RR8R and RR10S. The Tag axle units are still some of the best handling rigs on the road. For a full timer, I would buy an older tag axle bus with solid wood cabinetry and not be fooled by a fireplace and the vernier covered sawdust cabinets offered in many new coaches of today.
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #24

If you look at RV reliability surveys, there is a direct correlation between manufacturer and reliability. I just looked at the latest reliability survey that I purchased, and comparing a few equivalent units at the stated 150-200k pricepoint:
Newmar = 4 stars
Tiffin = 4 stars
Winnebago = 3 1/2 stars
Fleetwood = 3 stars
Thor = 2-2 1/2 stars
Forest River = 2 1/2 stars

Besides depreciation, this is why many are recommending buying used in order to get a higher quality more reliable RV for your money (assuming the used unit has been properly maintained, which imo should be verified by an experienced RV inspector).

Of course people's expectations and experiences vary, and this is not to say the lower rated manufacturers make bad coaches - but there is a difference in the manufacturing methods and quality of components used. Just something to consider.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolZ71 View Post
Everyone DOESN'T use the same chassis. The 03-09 Monaco and Holiday Ramblers used the far superior RR8R and RR10S. The Tag axle units are still some of the best handling rigs on the road. For a full timer, I would buy an older tag axle bus with solid wood cabinetry and not be fooled by a fireplace and the vernier covered sawdust cabinets offered in many new coaches of today.
Add Prevost/Marathon,Country Coach,Newell & Foretravel to the list.
Altho Foretravel has went to a hybrid Spartan chassis on the new ones
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I vote for Newmar or Tiffin

We currently own a 2013 Newmar Bay Star. (Gas)

The main reason to go to diesel is for a more comfortable ride and more space. Gas coaches tend to have a harsh ride. If we upgrade we plan to look at Newmar or Tiffin. I also have heard good things about Spartan chassis. (Freightliner chassis are good too, this is almost a Ford vs Chevy issue)

You can get shorter or long Class A coaches in gas. i.e. 27 feet up to 38 ft.
Diesel coaches then to be longer - 34 ft. up to 45'.

You could get a good used diesel coach in your price range.
The first owner gets the depreciation hit and the manufacturer defects. These are normally fixed under warranty.

You can buy extended warranties if you want one.

After market mattresses are normally more comfortable that the OEM RV mattresses.

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry
Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Buy used. Let someone else pay the MASSIVE depreciation. You won't sleep where others have?? Have you ever stayed in a Hotel? Will you sit on the same seat someone else has sat on in a restaurant? Confused.
A new mattress is a lot cheaper than the depreciation on a new coach!

Having traveled the world and lived in third world countries I can assure you there are worse (much worse) things than a used mattress in an RV!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are looking for a DP consider the Tiffin Red. We purchased our 2016 Tiffin Red 38’ QBA in late June of 2016 for 189. The 2017’s were just coming out. It listed for 268. We are very happy with it and customer service from Tiffin.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a