Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

What is the best Class A or As to look at for 150k to 200k

This is just a question to point me in the right direction. I currently have a Class C brand new, but already the wife is talking about upgrading to a class A. I love the Class C , but will say that I know the Class A will give me more room and will be much nicer to travel long distances in. So with that said, if I wanted to look for a plush but also good quality Class A in the price range of 150 - 200k. Where would you point me? I am more inclined to look at Diesel, but not sure I can get a good quality one for that price range. Size wise I would say between 38 all the way to 44. Im open on that. I love the Entegra and Newmar, but not sure any of those are in my range. Anything comparative to those you could recommend? Im all ears, and thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #2

Your price point puts you squarely in the used category for diesel coaches.

Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra are generally considered top of the line.

Tiffin generally has a better fit and finish, and definitely has more storage. They also have a better range of paint colors. You might get a newer used Tiffin Red model for your price, but you'll have to look for older Phaeton's or Buses if that's all you have to spend and you want 40+ feet. The Reds top out at about 38 feet.

Newmar is better insulated for both temperature and outside noises. The paint on Newmars is limited, pretty drab and uninspiring. A slightly used Ventana LE is in your price range, but you'll need to go older if you want a Dutch Star.

I know you're leaning towards diesel, but you could buy a brand new gasser for what you're budgeting, and still have money left over for handling mods and travel. It all depends on what you're planning to do and where the majority of your travel is going to be.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Your price point puts you squarely in the used category for diesel coaches.

Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra are generally considered top of the line.

Tiffin generally has a better fit and finish, and definitely has more storage. They also have a better range of paint colors. You might get a newer used Tiffin Red model for your price, but you'll have to look for older Phaeton's or Buses if that's all you have to spend and you want 40+ feet. The Reds top out at about 38 feet.

Newmar is better insulated for both temperature and outside noises. The paint on Newmars is limited, pretty drab and uninspiring. A slightly used Ventana LE is in your price range, but you'll need to go older if you want a Dutch Star.

I know you're leaning towards diesel, but you could buy a brand new gasser for what you're budgeting, and still have money left over for handling mods and travel. It all depends on what you're planning to do and where the majority of your travel is going to be.

Ok. All good points. Not really sure I want to go used unless its very slightly used. Not really comfortable sleeping where other people slept before me. I know its weird, but Id rather new. And I know I said I wanted Diesel, but Im not opposed to gas. I just heard gas isnt as reliable. But what do i know.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

You could pick up a new Thor Palazzo for under 200k. It's not a Tiffin or Newmar but is a diesel pusher. I'm happy with mine so far other than the usual new motorhome not quite assembled syndrome new motorhomes come with.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #5

First off the floor plan is the most important thing about an RV. Find a brand with a floor plan you and your wife like and begin looking at them. If you have to go used you can always buy a new mattress for the bed. All models use the same components. Most likely a Freightliner chassis, Cummings Diesel, Allison Transmission, Norco or Dometric Refer, Colman or Dometric Air Conditioner, Shureflow water pump, Atwood hot water heater or Aqua Hot etc. Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra, Monaco, Holiday Rambler all make good models using the same components. It's just the woodwork that is different. Customer service from Newmar and Tiffin is fantastic. I wanted a Tiffin or Newmar but found a great deal on a used Winnebago. Very low miles and had everything Newmar and Tiffin had. Saved about $80,000 to $100,000 buying a slightly used model. And Winnabego has been around for years. The higher end models are very well built.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy used. Let someone else pay the MASSIVE depreciation. You won't sleep where others have?? Have you ever stayed in a Hotel? Will you sit on the same seat someone else has sat on in a restaurant? Confused.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

If you really want new, take a serious look at Newmar Canyon Star and Baystar. We found (for us) a perfect Baystar and love it. You should be able to find a well setup Canyon Star easily within your budget. Alternately, you can order one built exactly how you want it, with precisely the colors, options, etc you want. IF my wife and I were more patient people, that is what I would have liked to have done. BTW, we traded up from a very clean 31' Winnebago Class C . . . yep, it is night and day for room and liveability. AND, one more thing, gas is plenty reliable, less costly ongoing costs, etc. Seems to me, the biggest advantages of diesel are power and ride comfort. But to me, not worth an extra $100K plus ongoing costs. Everyone is different on this . . .
Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Buy a used diesel pusher and put a new bed in it. Do a search on RVTrader.com, RVT.com, and the classifieds on this forum. On RV Trader and RVT you can enter your budget amounts and year range to target a certain group of coaches. I would look for a higher end diesel coach in the 2005-2009 year group. This is prior to DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) and 2010 diesel emissions.

A well taken care of used diesel coach will stand out well above a new gas coach and avoid the new depreciation hit.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Buy a used diesel pusher and put a new bed in it. I would look for a higher end diesel coach in the 2005-2009 year group. This is prior to DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) and 2010 diesel emissions.

and avoid the new depreciation hit.
Best of luck!
X2!
Don't forget to look @ the used Prevost,Newell,Country Coach,Beaver and Foretravels in your price range. (Would be year model's 1999 to 2009 more or less)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

I'd take a new gas high end unit over any diesel for reliability unless I was planning on over 200,000 miles on the unit. Cheaper to repair and seem significantly less hassle if there is a problem.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #11

You could be looking at coaches up to about 260K MSRP. Do some research on some real possibilities. I got a new 38 foot Pace Arrow LXE diesel for under 200K out of several possibilities for the money. Very happy with it after one year.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

Your on the track with a Entegra or newmar.. you can get a 12/ 13 Entegra aspire for about 200k or less now... heck of a coach ... I think the comment about newmar being the most insulated and quiet is mistaken.
It's the Entegra brand that's known for this... newmar is nice and also tiffin but don't quite have the insulation factor.. just go to Entegra website..it's all there... you just get more for your money...
Stay away from Thor products... ya I made that mistake..
13 Tuscany model and was built like a cheap trailer... bought it brand new for the exact reasons stated... but was a mistake .. drove me nuts it was so poorly built... gassers don't have half the drive ability that a diesel pusher does...if your really going to get out and tour around, stick with the diesel... all Jmo...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

We went to RV show and found brand new 2017 Discovery LXE 40D/40E/40G with a signs in the window for 206,000. We purchased a 2017 Discovery 40D last March and put 11,500 miles on it and 140 days camping and not one problem nor not one warranty claim yet. Our 40D we help take the plastic off the seats so we could take for a test drive.
Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All outstanding points by learned RVers. We started with gas and now have diesel and wished we'd started there for the primary reason of less noise, more stable ride, etc. Excellent valid recommendations for going used, however, my wife wanted new and that's the way we went. There are absolutely DPs out there for $200K. I drove the Forza, Ventana LE, Nexus Bentley, and I bought the Palazzo and would cheerfully do so again. See also the Aria 3601 or 3901. Quality? I can't speak to a '13 Thor product but can to an '18. Step into an 18 Aria vs an '18 Ventana LE. Tour factories.nothing beats your own research, test drives, and choice of floor plan. Have fun and keep us informed what you decide!

JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a