Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner View Post
Hi,

New to all this, so turning to the experts, in your opinion what is the best class A RV, if you like more than one, can you place in order.

also honest MPG.

Looking to buy before the end of the year,

Ginner and Lorraine
Ginner and Lorraine,

Don't worry about MPG. The first time you have to fill the fuel tank of your Class A motorhome at the tune of $150.00 to $200.00 you will completely understand why.

I'm not going to give you my opinion because the only opinion that counts will be yours. Form YOUR OWN opinion. Go look at class A motor homes. Go look at a LOT of MHs. Go to RV shows, go to all the dealers with-in a day's drive of where you live and look at all they have. Pay $10 and visit RV parks and campgrounds and walk around and look at the class A's and talk to the owners who will be glad to show you around and let you know their experiences of equipment and appliances while you are looking at them. That's how you should form an opinion because these beasts are too large of an investment not to do your own leg work.

Besides, it's fun!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #16

Alfa Gold
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #17

I won't name names but will offer this advice.
How much can you or how much do you want to spend on your MH?
Decide this first then start looking at what is available in that price range.
How many do you want to sleep? Will you feel confined without slides? Do you plan to tow something behind you which will require the HP of a diesel?
How long of a unit would you feel comfortable driving? How often would you use it? What do you want for amenities?
For example I use ours about 6-7 times a year. I put an average of 800 miles per year on it. Why would I buy a $150,000 MH?
I bought what fit my needs nicely, paid cash and don't feel the pressure of monthly payments looming over me. I have had this MH over a year now and have spent less than $600 in repairs and upgrades. The most expensive being the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
I should correct that figure though as I just bought 4 new rear tires just because it made me feel better. Add $1250 to that number for a total of $1850. $185 per year for the next 10 years if I still have the MH. The front tires were replaced 2 years ago and I have all the maintenance receipts since delivery.
Don't be persuaded to buy more than you need or can comfortably afford. Forget brands and buy what fits your needs unless you want to really want to impress your neighbors and make them jealous and go belly up doing it.
Shop, look, shop and look until you find what YOU want.
BTW, I get around 8 MPG average. If I wanted good mileage I'd have bought a Prius but the sleeping arrangement didn't suit me.
Lynn
Old 07-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #18

I get 7.6 MPG driving the Western US mountains and that's with running the generator a fair amount keeping the triple digit heat at bay while heading to cooler climates. Best rig is a personal choice but find one that fits your expected lifestyle and use. Figure out what your budget is but their are really good motor homes in all price ranges. I wanted power to pull the hills of CA, an engine brake to help slow me down and an air ride to smooth out the crap roads in this state. DW wanted a bath and a half and storage... So right away we were into a diesel pusher at around 40 feet which eliminated lots of options. Good luck!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Community Moderator

op, now you know how hard to know which one is the best, because everyone could say *his* is the best...

since you asked, i assume you have no restraints on cash... i don't know the best but i can tell you what the most expensive one i have seen is. a few months ago, i was in marathon coach in coburg, oregon. toured their production line, seeing a few prevosts being customized. a couple of new coaches were ready for delivery. on the showroom walls, there were a bunch of photos showing who had bought the coaches from them. among them, i could recognize a few, such as movie stars, singers, football players, large corporation ceos... you figured it. the one ready for delivery was for an nba franchise owner. the price tag was $1.7 million. to my ears, the lowest new unit is $1.5m.

if that is what you are looking for, go check it out. definitely they'll custom make one to your liking. happy hunting .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #20

The best??? Anything Prevost based. Affordable and practical?? There's a can of worms opened up!!! It's all in your personal taste and desires. All are a rolling earthquake of depreciation!!!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #21

Ginner, I hope this info will be more help to you than what you have received thus far. I have owned 4 Class A motorhomes, diesel and gas. I purchased the following guides to assist in purchasing my last two motorhomes (a Tiffin, now a Fleetwood). I believe that the buying guides I purchased more than payed for themselves immediately.
The site is RVReviews.net. The RV reviews covers area like durability, reliability, owner ratings and satisfaction, factory ratings, Best and Worst RV models, motorhome comparisons, etc. You can purchase each of the guides separately or in a bundle. Also he sells a service that will tell you what the average cost of a motorhome was to the dealer. Good luck, and the good news is they are currently having a 25% off Summer Sale.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #22

Question probably should be "best in this price range". Short of that the undisputed best, money is no object is Newell just as another poster mentioned. Those that want to add Prevost or Marathon keep in mind they are not class A's they are bus conversions- that's another category. To the OP please help narrow it down with some more info based on your needs and price range.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #23

Hi

Sorry, my mistake, i will try and give more info, not rich, but would like to keep in the $150 to $200 k range, can pay cash, but is that the right way to go ? looking at new, but dont mind up to 3 years old

we did look at the trip and the vesta, really liked the vesta, but we feel a bath and a half may be needed, ( when you have to go, you have to go).

we are 61 and 58, so feel we need to do it now, before its to late to enjoy, we do have 4 grand children, but understand they will not always be with us on our trips, another reason for the bath and a half, we hope to do 2 to 3 month trips at a time, so we can see america and beyond.

some years ago we did have a horse wagon, which had sleeping and could carry 4 horses, so we did drive the bigger vehicle, and you had to drive well for the horses.

i can do some work, used to be a mechanic many years ago, but engines have changed so much since then.

My question should have been, to the experts with lots of knowledge, if you had to change your Rv, what would you go for.

we have been to shows Tampa twice, and we do live in Florida

every thing you say we do listen to.

ragards

ginner and lorraine
ginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
The one you like and can afford. MPG runs from 6 to reports of better than 12. Our coach gets 8.5.

Many speak highly of Newmar, Tiffen and Entegra in no particular order. We like our coach and especially our dealer.

If buying used look carefully at the maintenance records and have the coach inspected by a competent tech, have the engine oil tested.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Buy a used coach from a high end builder. Country Coach, Monoco, Newmar, Travel Supreme, American Coach, and Holiday Rambler to name a few.
This is my suggestion.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #26

If you have never had a Class A one approach would be to buy an older inexpensive, more or less throw away, rig to learn on and understand your needs and requirements. Or you could rent one for a couple of weeks. But keep lists of what you do in what you like and don't like.

With an older inexpensive used one you can hone your repair skills. Guaranteed that you will have to do a fair amount of your own repairs. At the very least troubleshoot the issue so you can better direct the tech repairing it.

We are beginning our search for a new/newer DP 37" max length and ..... so on. We have a 4 page list of requirements we have generated after owning a Bluebird, now a Winnebago gasser as well as a Bigfoot slide in.

Also beware that the RV sales folks aren't always the sharpest tool in the shed so the more you know going into it the better off you will be. Look in every nook and cranny try out everything, test the water system for leaks, test the batteries, run the slides several times. Look for wear everwhere even on a new one.

Also be careful of the extended warrant scam. A lot of the stuff I have had to fix so far were not covered and after 12 months on a new rig the builder writes you off in many cases.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Alfa Gold
Thanks for the laugh!
I assume that was meant as a joke since you have a CC Magna now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In that range this is what I would buy:
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a