Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a $150-200K budget you can get a lot of coach by looking at something 2 years old. There might be a couple of months or maybe a year of warranty remaining while the prior owner took care of the factory installed defects. A 36 to 40 foot midgrade diesel coach might be your best price point. I'm partial to Tiffin products and both the RED and Phaeton products might fit you're wants and needs. If you're willing to go back a few more years in age but the inventory of available coaches will grow exponentially.

One thing to consider, some class A floor plans can be very family un-friendly. Old joke line about a class A, beverages for six, dinning for four and sleeping for two.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to a dealers and ditch the salesman. Tour all of the available coaches (including used) and pretend you have to stay in the coach for several days (say due to inclement weather).

Is there enough room? For preparing and cooking a meal, relaxing, entertaining, can a movie be watched while the game is on, can you get by each other easily within the coach, can you layout a hobby, etc.

If you visit enough coaches you will find each has some good features and some not so good. Find the coach with the most good features and then look for one that is similar within your comfort level.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #31

There is a good chance your gut will tell you that you would really like a diesel. If that is the case and your best choices in the market are in the 3 to 5 year old range with a cummins then plan on one thing and put a lot of questions/concerns to rest... a trip with it to Gaffney with a contingency about $3,000. That would get it very well serviced and you would know it was in good shape with a very long mechanical life ahead of it. That would more than anything else be a very cheap bridge to cover the difference with a brand new one.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:48 AM   #32

Good question.
Hard answer.

It depends on your needs. If it's for occasional camping, then it really shouldn't matter. Even for occasional road trips it won't matter much.

For long term living, as in weeks or months? Then there's a lot you need to think of, and answer yourself.

1) storage space. Not just the basement storage/exterior storage but also interior storage. Like closet space for clothes and cabinets.

2) sleeping space. Most RVs can sleep six that I've seen.

3) new vs used? Some older RVs get pretty bad MPG, but they're also cheap. Especially if you buy just after burning man.

4) appliances. The thing I didn't even consider, is the thing I wish I had considered most. Most appliances in an rv don't run off of electricity, but instead propane. Or propane and electric. I prefer more propane driven appliances, it makes it easier to conserve and it's cheaper than gas.

5) how much space do you need? I have a 29' and I keep thinking how crazy big it is for just two people. Keep in mind I grew up in a family of seven and never had a room to myself until I moved out. So my idea of spacious may not be yours.

6) local laws on length. Something else I didn't think about until last minute. If you live in certain states you can only drive a certain length rv. In California anything over 40' requires a higher class license.

7) on-board generator. Not every rv has an on-board generator, and you can always use an external. But it's a bit harder for a thief to simply lift a generator that's welded to your frame.

I think that's the main things. Me and my fiancee went with a 1987 29' Lakeview suncrest and we love it thus far. For $2000 we couldn't pass it up. It's kind of retro, which I like, and all the appliances are propane. Also it has plenty of storage for everything we own, and two full spares in the basement.

Hope I was of at least a little help, and above all don't make a bad purchase! I almost did. Nearly bought an rv for 1800 that would of needed a minimum of $1000 to get livable. Also, consider waiting until after burning man. The prices should drop quite a bit. If you're in California at least.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #33

hi

please forgive me but what is ( Burning man). ?

we did go look at a 1 year old Newmar Ventara le, but when we got to independance Rv, it had been sold when we got there, it was still on the lot being cleaned for its new owners, i sneaked on board to have a look, Really nice, but sold, and left while we where there.
seemed to be a heavy vehicle so i guess well made, but heavy must mean poor MPG

what are your opinions on the Berkshire, ? also looks heavy but seems well priced

I have to say you guys are great, for passing on your knowledge.

thank you

Ginner and Lorraine
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner View Post
hi

please forgive me but what is ( Burning man). ?

we did go look at a 1 year old Newmar Ventara le, but when we got to independance Rv, it had been sold when we got there, it was still on the lot being cleaned for its new owners, i sneaked on board to have a look, Really nice, but sold, and left while we where there.
seemed to be a heavy vehicle so i guess well made, but heavy must mean poor MPG

what are your opinions on the Berkshire, ? also looks heavy but seems well priced

I have to say you guys are great, for passing on your knowledge.

thank you

Ginner and Lorraine

Burning Man
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Thanks for the laugh!
I assume that was meant as a joke since you have a CC Magna now.
My thoughts too but didn't want to hurt feelings just in case he was being serious. Op...at the risk if hurt feelings please don't buy an Alfa. They were very innovative like Mr Fords son Edsile (sp?) was
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #36

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Buy a used coach from a high end builder. Country Coach, Monoco, Newmar, Travel Supreme, American Coach, and Holiday Rambler to name a few.
I agree that you get your best bang for your buck with a used coach. You should be happy with any of the manufacturers listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
For the money, you can't beat a used Newmar DSDP. I'm a little partial though!
Considering I have a used Newmar myself, I totally agree with this statement.

Look at the various floorplans and find out what features you want. Do you want bunks??? Do you want 1 1/2 baths??? Do you want a King size bed or will a Queen size do?? Are there other options and creature comforts that you want??

Asking a large, diverse group which manufacturer is best is akin to asking whether a Ford or Chevy is best??? All you will get is an argument.

Tags
class a