Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the Best Headlight Bulb?

My son has a 2006 Fleetwood flair.
He hates the current headlights, they are not very bright.

He currently has 9006 bulbs installed.
Is this the proper bulb, and is there a better (brighter) bulb that can be used?

Thanks,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
These are about as good as they get...... SilverStar®
I run them in my Harley's........and try not to drive to much at night anymore...........Sure made a differance...
Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Is this the proper bulb, and is there a better (brighter) bulb that can be used?
Thanks, Dan
There are several threads about weak headlights on different brands of motor homes. It seems to be a common problem. I upgraded to the Silverstar lamps and there was a slight increase in brightness, but still not great. I'm in process of adding relays to get a direct feed to the lamps.

Here are a couple of the threads on headlamps, the first on Fleetwood Bounders the second on Dutchstar. If you just do a search on headlamps, you'll find dozens of discussions on the same subject.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/my-p...ts-205068.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/weak-...ts-225566.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Adding a HID conversion kit is another option.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415830094.752146.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	78842
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys...boy you are fast....:>)
I am also going to suggest that he confirms he has a solid 12 volts at the bulb.

Dan
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

The 9006 sylvania bulbs have different levels. Regular, silver and ultra. I always use the ultra in my cars and I am happy with them and they are usually set up with the cap on the tip to properly reflect in the headlight housing. Are his lenses cloudy at all? He may need a lens restorer kit...
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to replace all of my bulbs in vehicles I bought with the Sylvania Silverstars, but later learned that they are more about advertising than quality. Phillips makes a good quality bulb.

The difference between the low beam 9006 bulb and the high beam 9007 bulb is that the 9007 is a higher wattage and the two are "clocked" differently. That means they are the same physical bulb, but they have cut outs around their base that allow them to only fit a low or high beam socket.

You can easily, with a razor or dremel, cut a small piece of the plastic base on the 9007 bulb so that it's the same as the 9006 bulb. This gives you a brighter low beam and know one will be blinded or know the difference on a motor home.

Lastly, HID systems are designed to work with a specific lens. When you install an HID bulb in a non HID lens, the light will be diffuse in all directions, often causing issues.

Here is a good article to read. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Your average head light is around 2000 lumen's, if you go with HID lights they are around 3000 lumen's. I have been using HID lights in all my vehicles and love them "But" I have just started to turn my attention to the new LED head light bulbs and you can get up to 3600 lumen bulbs that are blinding retina burning bright! On E-bay you can get a set of LED head lights for around $60.00 and up. They come with a built in heat sink and cooling fan as they put out so much light they need to be kept cool and good for around 50,000 hrs! Check them out, might be worth a try?
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sirius LED - All-In-One LED Headlight
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

Silverstars are part of a class action lawsuit about false advertising:

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id...20141012224708

To the OP: If your son has a Ford chassis, the voltage to the bulbs is low. Details are in the "My low visibility headlights" thread mentioned above.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Silverstars are part of a class action lawsuit about false advertising:

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id...20141012224708

To the OP: If your son has a Ford chassis, the voltage to the bulbs is low. Details are in the "My low visibility headlights" thread mentioned above.
Actually it IS a Ford chassis....I will pass the word....Thanks.

Dan
Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #12

PIIA are far superior to Sylvania. There are a number of different "colors" (different heat ranges), from a familiar yellowish tint, to bright white, to trendy bluish. I like the bright white, personally.

PIAA Corporation | LED Lights | Halogen Bulbs | Wipers | Driving Lights | Fog Lights

You can find PIAA bulbs at many stores, and online for even less. Even my Jeep dealer carries them. They are more than Sylvania, but worth the money.

I put PIAA bulbs in my high and low beam headlamps, as well as my fog lights. Their amber bulbs make a great true fog light.
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

Thanks,

Dan
Google hir bulbs. They will work with a very slight modification. They are legal and provide a lot more light.

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As brian-nicola showed the Sirius LED is what I was talking about, but they are only 2000 lumen's per bulb. Original bulbs are around 2000 lumen's each, you can get up to 3600 lumen's per bulb if you take the time to search for them out. That being said 3600 is a bit over kill, 3000 lm is the best choice all around. I've tried many a head light bulb and done plenty of research and 3000 lm is what I've found to be the best result without blinding oncoming drivers. Just my 2 cents.......

Good luck!
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote