Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
My dad put well over a million miles on his 3406 and claimed it never left him stranded. I can only hope my 'lil C9 does the same.
The 3406 was a very good motor as I found out in my 77 Pete.It did leak some , did have a turbo problem and some minor things, In my mind I would except a 3406 or later as you have in a Motor coach with no problem , even though I have always been a Cummins/Volvo guy....had one Mack a 57 B-61 it was very slow but dependable, since then ( in the early 60s ) it always was Cummins, 220 , 260, 380 , and several N series all in trucks. I them in the 80s went to Volvo, best motor out there and always better on fuel. I must have had 20 of them, but not all at the same time, we were a small outfit.

In a MH of coarse I had a C series , a B series in my Dodge, a IH v8 in a couple of ford one tons , then now back to a MII 450.in my Monaco Sig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #72

First priority - buy a tandem.....you will never regret it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #73

darstar - we visited Copper Harbor two summers ago...visited a logger friend - he specializes in birdseye maple...beautiful up there! Luckily we will see them in Fort Meyers next week....were there should be no snow.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
The very best chassis for a class A motorhome is likely a Prevost. But very expensive. According to all the information I have read purpose built chassis for motorhomes are the best. Meaning, Newell, Bluebird, Foretravel, Country Coach, Monaco, Beaver, Alpine, and Travel Supreme. But there is nothing wrong with the Spartan and Frieghtliner chassis either.

We have a Country Coach with a Dynomax semi monocoque 10 air bag chassis. The first time I drove it I thought it was the most stable coach on the freeway I had ever driven. So I bought it. I have driven about 10 other Country Coach motorhomes. They all drive excellently. When we were test driving a lot of coaches 4 1/2 years ago we were also very impressed with the Alpine ride and driving ability.
+1. I was so impressed with the Peak chassis in the Alpine Coach, all I needed was DW to say she liked the floor plan.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #75

Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Larry Young
My vote goes to Country Coach Dyna Max chasis. These are built specifically for the individual coach. They are overbuilt, they procduced and extremly strong frame.
i can prove it __________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
2010 Honda Fit Sport

No you can't. The reason being is that CC does NOT build a Dyna Max chassis.

The Country Coach chassis is a DynoMax chassis.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #76

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 40' motorcoach is built on a Gillig chassis, which I haven't seen any info posted about their reliability. Has air ride suspension and air brakes with a rear pusher, 3126 Cat motor. Easy starting and easy ride. Anyone have long term experience with this chassis?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Enter Gillig Chassis into the Search drop-down box at the top and you will find 24 different threads to read through where Gillig Chassis has been mentioned.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #78
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I recently read that Ohio raised the axle weight limit to 22,000#, but did not apply to RVs (Guy was stopped at the scale for 23,3??#, but when he pointed out he was registered and insured as an RV, they let him go)

This is correct. once you point out you are an RV you are let past.

I have not experienced this yet, but a friend with a Renegade with a stacker trailer has. The gate goes down, the DOT guy comes out, the discussion happens and he is let past. A pain in the neck, but happened every time on the way top Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #79
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Our 40' motorcoach is built on a Gillig chassis, which I haven't seen any info posted about their reliability. Has air ride suspension and air brakes with a rear pusher, 3126 Cat motor. Easy starting and easy ride. Anyone have long term experience with this chassis?
I also have a Gillig chassis. I talked with Gillig extensively before purchasing the MH. They were in the MH Chassis business for only a short time.

Their feeling was the chassis was a very "trick" chassis.

Fleetwood offered a 5000 pound hitch with the chassis, Gillig sells a fabricated hitch (not stocked, but they will build it for you) 10,000 hitch for the chassis.

They sent me the plans if I wanted to build it (I have attached them). So far as I can tell the only difference between the 5 and the 10 thousand pound hitches is the 10 thousand pound hitch as an additional mounting hole in the brackets.

I put a 16,000 pound hitch (way more than I will ever need) on my 39 foot MH and was told by Gillig that the chassis would have no problem with it.

The only problem is with Fleetwood, they will not provide an updated specification label for the MH. My 97 Dream is from the previous owners of fleetwood before they went bankrupt. They state that because "they" did not build it they will not issue the new tag.

I offered to bring the MH to their HQ for inspection and provide the drawings from Gillig, but they would have no part in it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 1.pdf (506.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 2.pdf (385.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33891.pdf (26.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33892.pdf (26.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #80

This is an interesting discussion , however what most of us are looking for is WHY certain coaches (chassis) are better than others. We all know what we own is already the best, thats human nature. The truth is in an actual hands on , like kind test drive.....then take a look under and see why. I see that not ever happening, so I think the best way is to look at the construction and the design for comparison.

I grew up with the early stages of air ride on trucks , then on trailers, and now today about the only trucks without air ride are dump trucks and some other vocational applications. Early comparisons as I recall were Kenworth vrs Peterbuilt. The KW had two air bags, big ones. the Pete had one smaller air bag and a leaf spring on the other end. Which was better ? It was a debate that never got answered in full , as between owners of each few could agree.

It might be similar with Motor Homes , some depending on the size and weight of the coach , lift axle or not, maybe other things too that are more personal. Ether way , I for one would like too know why, say a CC is or is not better than a Monaco. A Gilliag compared to a Spartin or a Prevost, Newell , Foretravel , Alpine , its a long list....
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
darstar - we visited Copper Harbor two summers ago...visited a logger friend - he specializes in birdseye maple...beautiful up there! Luckily we will see them in Fort Meyers next week....were there should be no snow.
Ya Copper Harbor is a special place. we visit at lest twice a summer, and always on my birthday in July, its become a tradition ....wish I was in Ft. Meyers also , its been a tough winter in the UP., worst since I can remember.Almost there this winter, but turned back due to mechanical problems, did make Knoxville though.....

I can see your dedication to having a lift axle . One of my pet complaints always , was the tail waging the dog so to speak with so much rear overhang and too short a WB. I am looking now to trade up to a coach with a lift axle...one more time.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post

This is an interesting discussion , however what most of us are looking for is WHY certain coaches (chassis) are better than others.
Since I haven't owned a number of coaches built with different chassis's nor have I ever driven some, I can only speak for the one I do own.

The Roadmaster Semi-Monocoque has been a very strong and stable chassis that allows for two huge pass-through storage bays in the center of the coach. With the 8 out-board air bags it drives and handles with ease.

While driving from Fairbanks to Tok one day on our way to the lower 48 I had a brief encounter with a Moose. Actually there were two if you look closely but one decided to stay on the shoulder. I was driving 55 mph and had to take a quick immediate evasive action to avoid hitting this Moose. My coach is 41 foot and I was hauling a 30 foot Pace cargo trailer fully loaded behind me. The coach and trailer tracked like it was on a set of rails.

Moose on the Loose - YouTube

There are probably others that are comparable but I am VERY satisfied with what I have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #83

I belonged to the RV Consumer Group for a number of years. JC Gallant and his wife wrote several books and many articles about RVs. I read most of them. The RVCG tries to evaluate handling in motorhomes. Gallant feels (This is my interpretation of what he wrote) that you need to have a chassis length that is above a certain ratio to provide safe emergency handling. Gallant rates handling based on safety not comfort. In my experience a longer chassis compared to the body length does make for a more comfortable driving experience.

The physics of it is this. More overhang front or rear extends the lever effect and makes for more movement when wind, truck air wash, or road irregularities happen when you are driving. More movement / twitchiness makes it harder to go straight or hold a curve. I remember a conversation I had with the head engineer of Country Coach a while back when he told me that their short coaches were a bit "twitchy".

There are other factors. Car makers always talk about having high torsional rigidity improve handling. BMW and others tout this. So I suspect that having a rigid heavy built chassis improves handling. Semi monocoque designs also make the body part of the chassis and tend to improve rigidity. Weight. More weight means movement is dampened. Tag axles extend chassis length and also put another set of tires on the road.

But for the most part you have to form a subjective opinion in doing multiple test drives and also that handling is a high priority item in your coach selection to form an opinion as to what is or is not a good handling motorhome. For me it was the number 1 priority. I had suffered through four years of trying to fix an aged motorhome before buying my current coach and was determined to get a new one that handled good from the start. Handling is the number 1 reason I bought what I did.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #84

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post

12 years with the Gillig Chassis and mechanical Cummins. No chassis problems, soft ride, and a bit sloppy on hard curves or turns. We really like it but have no comparison.

We did drive a 2006 HR Imperial and liked its more firm handling, but no long term experience because we did not like it enough to part with the extra bucks.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote