Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjva343 View Post
Mricet, I continually hear people say they save a bundle by buying a slightly used rig. I'm not sure I understand what they are saying. If you buy new and you know how to negotiate you probably pay around 70% of the MSRP. I hardly see any late models where the owners are asking for less than 70% of their motorhome's MSRP, so where is this big savings coming from buying barely used rigs? Just trying to learn the lay of the land. Thanks.
The depreciation once the title is signed is much more than the 20% - 30% off MSRP that new purchases yield. I bought my 2nd coach, a 2013 Winnebago Vista 35B in January 2013 for ~$117k. The MSRP was around $141k - $142k (~20%). After trading it in December 2013, it was listed a week or two later by the dealer where it was traded for $85k. Granted it was a year old, that was somewhere around 40% of the MSRP, which was still around the same number for 2014 (and remember, that was the asking price).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #44

Since you already have a truck... have you considered just having Featherlite/etc. just build you a custom trailer? I've seen some nice setups at the track over the years, and then, for example, you can specify things like a bath in the garage area, etc.

Also, consider checking out/chatting with Renegade as they are another company that builds a number of race-oriented coaches (and coach/trailer combos).

Steve
Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #45

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjva343 View Post
Mricet, I continually hear people say they save a bundle by buying a slightly used rig. I'm not sure I understand what they are saying. If you buy new and you know how to negotiate you probably pay around 70% of the MSRP. I hardly see any late models where the owners are asking for less than 70% of their motorhome's MSRP, so where is this big savings coming from buying barely used rigs? Just trying to learn the lay of the land. Thanks.
Take a look at this article on RV Depreciation:

Should I buy a new or used RV?

The depreciation table in that article is based on what you pay for the RV, not the MSRP. Obviously, after just 1 year, the RV is most likely not going to sell for 18% less than what someone paid for it new. But, after 5 years or so, the table is a pretty good start to help with the pricing, in addition to the NADA numbers.

So, after 5 years, I figure the typical RV may sell for about 53% of what someone paid for it new. For example, RV has MSRP of $450K. Sells to someone for 28% off MSRP, about $325K. Five years later, according to the article, that RV may go for about $175K.

But, obviously, it all depends on supply and demand for the particular make and model of RV.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
The depreciation once the title is signed is much more than the 20% - 30% off MSRP that new purchases yield. I bought my 2nd coach, a 2013 Winnebago Vista 35B in January 2013 for ~$117k. The MSRP was around $141k - $142k (~20%). After trading it in December 2013, it was listed a week or two later by the dealer where it was traded for $85k. Granted it was a year old, that was somewhere around 40% of the MSRP, which was still around the same number for 2014 (and remember, that was the asking price).
I paid 59% of the original MSRP. Coach manufactured in 3/2013 and I bought it in April 2014.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I paid 59% of the original MSRP. Coach manufactured in 3/2013 and I bought it in April 2014.
So if the original price was discounted by 30% you got an additional 11% off for a year old coach. For 11% you get a new coach with warranty. And you have a years use.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
So if the original price was discounted by 30% you got an additional 11% off for a year old coach. For 11% you get a new coach with warranty. And you have a years use.
To each his own. Warranty was not worth $34,000 to me. Coach was essentially new so lifetime usage will be same. I have only had one minor issue in 6 months that the dealer fixed with no charge. There is no right or wrong, everyone needs to explore their options, needs, priorities, budget, etc. and make decision appropriate for them. For me I remain very happy with my decision.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #49

tiffin all the way
mike 4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 4275 View Post
tiffin all the way
To Red Bay, Alabama
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Take a look at this article on RV Depreciation:

Should I buy a new or used RV?

The depreciation table in that article is based on what you pay for the RV, not the MSRP. Obviously, after just 1 year, the RV is most likely not going to sell for 18% less than what someone paid for it new. But, after 5 years or so, the table is a pretty good start to help with the pricing, in addition to the NADA numbers.

So, after 5 years, I figure the typical RV may sell for about 53% of what someone paid for it new. For example, RV has MSRP of $450K. Sells to someone for 28% off MSRP, about $325K. Five years later, according to the article, that RV may go for about $175K.

But, obviously, it all depends on supply and demand for the particular make and model of RV.
My problem is I typically see a one year old motorhome being offered for sale for an asking price HIGHER than that 28% initial buyer's discounted cost. I even see two year old motorhomes being listed for higher than the original buyer's putative price paid to the first dealer. Now that's crazy. Does the seller of these one and two year old vehicles think buyers are ignorant of the original price of the rigs? Maybe I just need to be willing to haggle more.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #52

What dealers ask for and what they will take are two different things. If you just want in, they'll tell you 10% off a new rig is a big huge sale they only do once a year!

Figure out what a rig is worth to you, take 10% off that, offer it to a deal, and be willing to come up that 10% if necessary. If they don't bite, fine. Most do once they realize you are serious and seriously not going to pay their crazy money.

On newer units, as if it's a consignment or a deal-owned unit. If it's a consignment, you may be wasting your time, as the owners were (in our buying experience) typically hugely upside-down. And while the owner could afford the $800/month or whatever payment, they can't swing the $50,000 cash required to cover the difference between what the unit is worth and what they owe.

Steve
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
on the way home stop at the Rolls Royce dealership and see if they have a good tow vehicle................

Anyway................
If you look at a used diesel coach, you won't have to worry about DEF like in the newer coaches.
Some of the older Allegro Buses seem pretty tough, but older models will not have the slide options of newer models.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, asking prices for used units all over the place and mostly way too high. However, I suspect dealers sell quite a few to buyers who don't do adequate research. Private sellers also frequently ask too much due to emotional attachment and all the stuff they added. Negotiation required but more difficult than new because there is no definitive baseline like msrp to work off of.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #55

Damon Owners Club
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Yes, asking prices for used units all over the place and mostly way too high. However, I suspect dealers sell quite a few to buyers who don't do adequate research. Private sellers also frequently ask too much due to emotional attachment and all the stuff they added. Negotiation required but more difficult than new because there is no definitive baseline like msrp to work off of.
I would love to buy a one year old Tiffin or Newmar DP at 59% of MSRP, or a two year old even more so for 50% of MSRP.

It's one thing when the seller has some concept of reality. Otherwise, it's a frustrating waste of time and energy. Mine.

You have to wonder how and when these owners with delusional expectations sell these motorhomes.
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, I think I got lucky. Salesman in passing mentioned I needed to decide on mh quickly because they were going to wholesale coach to California dealer. So I quickly calculated what I thought wholesale would be and offered that. We settled very close to that number. They argued with my data but I held firm and was ready to walk. They agreed. Saved them work of transporting mh, etc.