Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Damon Owners Club
Question What is the best to TOW!!!

Hello RVers We are new to this whole thing...my Husband and I just purchased a 2003 38' Damon Intruder.....we are VERY excited to get started, but we are wondering what is the best "RIDE" to Tow behind us. heres the key we are wanting a 4wheel drive for just in case situations and we also need to be able to sit 6, 2 Adults and our 4 Kiddos...and something that is not going to drop our gas mileage BIG Time? Any Suggestions would be GREAT !!!

Thank You in Advance,
The Woodpile

WoodPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We tow a 2007 Ford Explorer that fits all of your requirements... except it might be a bit heavier than you'll want to tow.

I'm guessing that the seating of 6 might be a challenge with a light weight toad.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
You might Down Load Trailerlife 2012 towing guide - I am suer you will find something that would fill your needs

Jerry & Anna
Retired Navy - 55 yrs Aircraft Mechanic/Pilot
2007 40 Ft Tiffin Phaeton, 2016 Ford Explorer
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
We pull an Acadia! We can sit 8, 4 wheel drive and pulls nicely 4 down... We bought a base model used so it did not have as much weight.

When we are not dragging it behind the MH, the wife drives it to school.. So it gets beat up in teh school parking lot and when being dragged behind the coach.

Dan, Alice, Jackson, Alyssa, & Brendan

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
WYDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
We have a 2005 Honda Pilot, 3 row seats. Good milage, AWD, tows 4 down with no fuss. Around 4500 pounds (I think). Also a Jeep Wrangler - but we only have 2 kids,
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
We also tow a 2005 Honda Pilot. Great vehicle. Seats 8. Don't even know it's behind us. Can't tell if there's any loss of fuel mileage or power. I actually think the coach handles better with it on behind.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on a great home.. I live in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377W.

The answer to your question is most any vehicle under 4,000 pounds. This includes far too many vehicles to list.

INCLUDING but not lmiteid to:

Many JEEPS. Generally a Jeep 4 wheel drive with manual transfer case can be towed 4 down, (I think there is one exception, and it's an older model)

Many cars, Pickups, and other SUVs.

Vehicles fall into different groups depending on make and model

Some .. You need do nothing but add an aux brake system. Such as the Ready Brake (With the Ready Brute tow bar) which is about as simple as it gets, or the US_Gear Unified Brake Decelerator, with is one of the best in my opinion, even if I think I will go with ready brake when next I tow (I like KISS too and RB keeps it super simple)

Some you need to pull a fuse (or install a switch, they make kits for that)

Some you add an electric lubrication pump to the transmission.

Some you can use a drive shaft disconnect, this makes your car or truck a true trailer, no power to the drive wheels) or an "Axle Lock" (Same thing front wheel drive)

A company called Remco Towing makes those modifications. I personally do not prefer the lube pump because it is an "Active" device (Eats electricity) and well. it can fail.. The axle lock and the drive shaft disconnect .. Well I do know of a couple of exceptions, mostly with the drive shaft disconnect, but the technology there is very solid, The "Mean time between faileres" .. I doubt you will live that long. (OR your grandkids for that matter) .
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Originally Posted by jroan View Post
You might Down Load Trailerlife 2012 towing guide - I am suer you will find something that would fill your needs
The towing guide is as great help, however,
The "Towing Guide" is a great source of information, however, not everyone can afford both a coach, AND a new car!
Some may find a 2012 toad a little RICH, (and an imposable option)!
I used 5-7 year old "Towing Guides" to locate an "affordable" toad in 2002.
We towed a 1997 Saturn from 2002 until last year, (payed $3000 sold it for $1900).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow an 05 Tahoe 4x4. Tows great 4 down. A little heavy at 5000# but does't seem to pull any harder than the 4000# Liberty we pulled before. Didn't see much difference in fuel mileage.
stuhly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to RVing hope you enjoy your MH.
We've towed a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, but traded it for a 2011 Colorado 4x4 with auto transmission. Both are very easy to tow. Just plug and play. The truck offers more room since the jeep was 2 door, but you can find in 4 door. We just need a truck, and liked the Colarado because nothing to modify to tow behind the MH excetp install the base plate.
Dwillie, Mary Lee & Sid V
08 Fleetwood Excursion 40X:Toad 2011 Colorado 4X4 / 2007 Harley Ultra Classic
Dwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a wrangler tj. As long as me and my Dog fit, the rest of them can just walk.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
4WD Jeep Liberty Limted for us.

2016 DSDP 4369
2012 DSDP 3734--sold
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
WE have towed 5 differant Vehicals, VW, 2 Chev, Blz. Honda, Crv, We now tow a chev. Mel; It's a comfortable car. A little tight for me to get into, as I'm a perty big boy, Near 250. It is quiet,comfortable, gets 30 MPG. Just Hook it up and go;; Under 3200 Lbs. WE had 4x4s In 25 years of towing one we were never in the position to need a 4X4,, The best one to tow is the one you have hooked behind your Motorhome. Life is good. Just personal; Our MH is a DP .. lots of power.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Basically all vehicles are towable, either on a trailer, tow dolly, or 4 down. So that brings you to other requirements such as number of passengers, and weight. I believe your intruder may be limited to 4000 # tow capacity, so that is going to limit your choices. i wouldn't worry too much about gas mileage, I haven't seen more than a few tenths of a mile per gallon difference towing behind my Damon Challenger. I tow an Escape but that would not
fit your needs it only seats 5. good luck and welcone to the forum.

Safe travels

Richard & Sheila

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote