Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile what is the first thing to do when buying a m/h

A lot of ppl on the forum ask what should they do or know when buying a m/h whether used or new ,,,in my rving exp I have bought 2 c/c and one class A and I found that its most important to do your home work abt the rig you are lookin at , by home work I mean go to the dealer and do a good walk tru and write down questions that you need to have answered and bring them to this forum and present them here ,,,you will get straight answers here as we are not trying to sell you a m/h,, most dealers will tell you what you want to hear to steer you in the direction for the sell of the unit,,,,You will have many questions that come to the forefront that the dealer will not be avaliable to answer for you ,,such as how does my fridg work and why is it making a clickin noise,,dont be bashful abt the questions you have for we all had to ask them at one time or another,m/hing can be the most injoyable thing of your life if you understand the workings of the unit and its appliances,but if you dont understand the process then it can be your worst nightmare,,no matter how silly or dumb the question sounds dont be afraid to ask it here,,,there are a lot of smart ppl on this forum and they are just chomping at the bits to get to help a fellow rver and we like the challenge ,,,and last but not least NEVER buy a unit on the first offer from the dealer,,his lively hood depends on him selling m/h and yous dont,,,,there is a manuel you can buy at most dealers called REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE MANUL BY BOB LIVINGSTON that is a treasure chest of info for the average m/h owner,,, if possible go look at the unit while its raining ,,when I bought my c/c it was raining and I descovered a leak in the cab over and they completely replaced it before I brought it home,,,the best feeling in the world other than having children is when you drive your new to you m/h orf the lot,,,we spent the weekend in ours in our drive way,, boy wht great times we have had in our m/h...
tboss619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well said, I would agree that the best thing you can do is not make an impulsive decision. look at it, ask questions, leave, think about it and go back, look at it, ask more questions, leave, think about it and go back, look at it, ask some more questions and if you feel real comfortable, make a ridiculous offer.

You would be surprised at the other persons position. I recently bought an RV Lot. This was the largest lot in the park, I made an offer of 1/2 of the asking price, the real estate agent thought I was nuts and thought the owners would be offended. Other lesser lots were listed at $50,000.00 more than I offered for the best lot. The agent called me three times trying to get me to increase my offer before he submitted it. I told him to submit it as my one and only offer and gave them 48 hours to decide or I would just buy another lot elsewhere, they took my offer!

In this market, know what you are buying, know that the sales person is not making much money and may be less than truthful and the owners in many cases are desperate to sell. Be willing to walk away and keep looking for what you want at the price you want to pay. It is still a buyers market.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Kiss your kids inheratance goodbye!

Along with your sanity!!!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Our kid aint getting it , we're spending it ..

She wants it , do like we did ..

Sanity whats that
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote