Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What is the perfect length?

Regarding a diesel pusher, can you tell a "newbie" what would be the perfecrt lenght when sleceting a coach for just you and your wife?

I know there are pros and cons for all lenght 36 - 40 ft. but if price was not the issue what would be the best all around lebght for two people?

Taking into consideration, parking at campgrounds, fuel mileage, sq ft, and handling. We have been looking at used Monaco line..

I'm leaning towards 36 although hard to find, my wife likes to floor plan on the 38 but I have an opportunity for a good deal on a 40, but I'm thinking for my first coach 40 may be too much??

Many of you have had pusher for quite some time and I was interseted in your thoughts please.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
laj

Personally, love my 42. If I was concerned about being comfortable driving one or campgrounds I would stay less then 35, or if not an issue I would buy another 42 in a heart beat. Have not ever had issues finding a place to park but I don't go on major weekends. Tags handle better, heavier gives more stability, and much more cc.
You did say money wasn't an issue....... Right?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have owned a 38' and now have a 40' Monaco dp not really alot of differance as far as manuverability don't think there would be a big diff with a 36' camp ground selection gets a little tighter with a 40' but really not a problem unless you use state and fed campgrounds alot most private campgrounds are big rig friendly get the one the wife likes or you will be buying again soon
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Go for the 40. We picked up our first DP in 2004, drove it to New Orleans. That was learn as you go trip. Moved up to 42 in 2011. Love the extra 2 feet and the 3 additional slides.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Need to proof read. Drove from Reno to New Orleans.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

We currently own a 36 ft. Monaco Dynasty. In the past we have owned several other motor homes of varying lengths.

We have found the 36 ft, to be a smooth , stable ride, without any of the obstacles of a larger vehicle. There is enough storage for 2, and if you compare the interior of a 36' versus a longer Monaco Dynasty, there is little more to offer other than some storage which we felt 2 people really didn't need. We have all the options Monaco offered in their Dynasty line . We don't feel the trade off for a larger RV would be worth it, since we have all the amenities we need. We have one large slide but do not have to use it most of the time. Our floor plan (SO-FD Monaco's term) is not compromised with the slide in.
We are NOT full timers but enjoy going to National and State Parks where the parking might be prohibitive in terms of size. We have been known to fudge at check-in and call ourselves a 32' or 34'.
We haven't had any problems parking in campgrounds or navigating roads.
The 36' has been ideal for us.
We also live near NYC, and find the smaller RV much less threatening when exiting the metropolitan area.
Hope this was helpful!
(with major input from DW)
Robert
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

We own a 38' which is really 39 feet long. IMHO length (35-40) is not a big consideration. You can get a lot of living space by purchasing a multple slide coach. There is little difference in handling between a 36 and a 40. The most noticable difference to me is in the storage area, You get more storage as the coach gets longer. Interior layout that fits your needs is a very important consideration along with, as someone else said, the wife's opinion.

Fuel mileage is a very difficult question to answer. It depends on so many variables, but as a general statement, on comparable horsepower engines and coaches of smilar weight, the Cummins produces less torque and gets a bit better gas mileage than the Cats.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
the perfecrt lenght when sleceting a coach for just you and your wife?
Perfect means you would have to define what perfection is. The wisest choices are made by those choosing to fit their lifestyle. Things like King vs. Queen bed (sometimes available only in larger sizes) or an extra half bath or a dishwasher may be critical to some. Fitting into a dinky, tree lined state park site may be a critical consideration for others. Whether the journey or the stay time is most important could be extremely critical.

Best advice someone ever gave us was buy the floor plan. Send the salesman away for an hour or so and pretend you are living in it. Pretend take a shower, pretend cook and eat, pretend watch tv and pick the floor plan best suited for you. Once you have narrowed the floor plans down, it is time for a test drive.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We only spend about 90 nights in our rig each year.

38' without slides gave us the features we wanted in the floor plan we wanted.

If we had slides, we would have a wider aisle, but would need about 3 feet more in length to accomodate the floor plan due to the slide mechanism housing and would lose some storage.

It has worked for us for 10+ years. Your mileage may vary.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
laj

Deandec
Great point on slides taking up length
Had never thought about it with that perspective
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We full time in our 37. No problems and are completely happy with what we have. It really doesn't make much difference in regards to length for handling, generally the longer you go the little smoother the ride and more carrying capacity in terms of volume, not neccessarily in terms of weight. The shorter you go the easier it will be to get into tight, older camp grounds.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj
Deandec
Great point on slides taking up length
Had never thought about it with that perspective
How do slides take up length ?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #13

Jack,

I was wondering the same thing. I don't see any real loss from our 3 slides. I also don't see any storage loss.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Depends on how you will use your coach. 40' may/will be too long for many state and national parks. If you're going to full time, different story, as you may prefer the extra space.

For part time usage, and for those who take advantage of the state/national parks, a 36' coach would be ideal.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote