Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the problem with a full width mudflap

I have seen posts where people have removed the full width mudflap because they say it causes more harm by throwing rocks.

Mine seems to be working fine. Is it related to how low they are mounted.
I would think if they are a couple of inches off the ground, they would work fine.

Regards,
Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine works equally as well.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I have seen posts where people have removed the full width mudflap because they say it causes more harm by throwing rocks.

Mine seems to be working fine. Is it related to how low they are mounted.
I would think if they are a couple of inches off the ground, they would work fine.

Regards,
Dan
Dan,
I'll start this off with my observations,

I and others on this forum have removed our full width flap completely and can tell you the toad and rear of the coach stay cleaner without the flap than with it.
Conventional wisdom says the flap must be a minimum of 6" off the ground at travel height to prevent it from dragging on the ground and stirring up debris off the road surface.
But, since removing mine, I have started to pay attention to rigs with rear flaps and I have noticed that just going down a normal highway the flap will drag going over most dips in the road. This is because of the distance between the rear duals and the flap at the very rear of the coach. Each time the flap hits or even comes close to the road it causes debris on the road to be flung upward.
This phenomenon is even more pronounced during a rain where the flap is throwing up a mist off the road just by the turbulence caused by the flap.

I am also of the opinion that my engine compartment stays cleaner without the flap.

I have run with and without and I have found without the flap is noticeably better. Most critical is the flaps behind the rear duals. These should be set to just clear the ground when you lower the air bags and be about 6-8" off the road at travel height.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We have no problem w/ours either. The key is to get it just high enough off the ground to protect the toad. Too low & it scrapes & kicks up rocks.

What I do hate are the ones with the mirror-finish engraved ad-ons. Get behind one of those coaches on a day when the sun is at the right angle & they'll blind you.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

I was told they don't allow road dust to go by and push it all up into the radiator.Not sure how true since they lift from the air pressure when moving.I drilled three four inch holes in the middle and covered them with wirecloth to let some air and dust thru.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
So does ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys....I do notice a fair amount of dust on the toad windshield.

Maybe I will remove mine for one of our trips to see if there is a difference.

Thanks Again...

Dan
Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Dan,

If you remove it and do some experimentation, please let us (ok, just me) know the results.

Layne
mischievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
Dan,

If you remove it and do some experimentation, please let us (ok, just me) know the results.

Layne
Don't be selfish Layne. Why can't he let everyone know. LOL
Old 11-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post

Mine works fine also. Could be related to the distance from the drive wheels to the rear of the coach and toad with tag axle coaches. Most tags also have flaps behind the tag wheels.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Thanks guys....I do notice a fair amount of dust on the toad windshield.

Maybe I will remove mine for one of our trips to see if there is a difference.

Thanks Again...

Dan
I suggest leaving it off for a few thousand miles and keep your eye on the toad and back of the coach in various weather conditions. You may be surprised at what you see.
When I removed mine in Whitehorse, it was on the advice of our Wagon Master for our Caravan. At first I thought he was full of it but, after seeing the results, I'm convinced. It goes against everything you think this flap should do.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

I took ours off this summer before we made a trip to the Yukon which involved a certain amount over their roads being resurfaced with gravel. The argument that convinced me to try without the flap is that the flap creates a vacuum behind the coach and lifts dust and pebbles up behind it. (That is not my idea, I just read it on this site and it seemed to make sense to me.)

At a campground after several miles of gravel road and dust, we were parked beside another coach which had its flap on, had travelled the same road and had the same toad and tow bar as I do. He questioned me about not having a flap. When we compared what debris had built up at the base of our windshields, I had only dust but he had dust, sand and some pebbles up to the size of a thumbnail. We were both very surprised at the difference in how much had accumulated. So, with that experience, I will take ours off again before a trip like that.
RayBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Looks like I'm taking mine off for next season, to see the results. Wife works for Grassworx, they sell entry doormats, so I will install mudflaps behind the duels and put this mat material on the flap. It's suppose to cut down the mist spray on wet roads.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have an opinion on this and it will surely upset several people.....but it's just my opinion!

I've had two DP's and Class A gasser that had mud flaps. I built the flap for the gasser and the two DP's came with one. On all three, I changed the mounts so that they were removable and hung from a loop. They were all adjusted to the proper height. I've also made sure that the distance between the mounts on the frame were closer together than the mounts on the flap. This keeps the flap from moving side to side. My flaps have always worked well and never caused any issues. Personally, I think the flaps are a nice looking accessory.

Now for the part that will upset some. I think many people that dislike them and remove them, do so because they have damaged them by not being careful in certain backing and parking situations. I have repaired flaps for many people. They eventually take them off because they keep damaging them. Again....just an opinion from someone who has repaired many flaps.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote