Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
What is the typical tow rating for a Class A gas

35 footer. I am aware that you must load and weigh it etc. but we are still shopping and I saw how inexpensive the gassers are and thought that maybe we could do one of those and have a residence in VA and Florida.

Thing is I would want to have a car with us when we travel. I have a Lincoln MKT and Hubby has a heavy Prius.

If we had a cheap enough one we wouldn't have a full time living load in it.

Just another though I am working through but was hoping some "means, medians, and modes" would help
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Typically, I'd expect a 35' motorhome to have a 5k lb hitch and tow rating. Remember though, that's only 1/2 the story. You also need to be cognizant of the gross combined weight rating. As example, if your rig weighs 26,000 lbs loaded and has a 30k lb GCWR, you're limited to 4k tow capacity, regardless of the hitch or max tow rating.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Most current model gassers have a hitch tow rating of 5000 lbs. I have saw older models with less than 5000 rating but never anything over that. The Lincoln is probably pushing that limit but the Prius should be well under that amount, check your owners manual. I'm not very familiar but aren't the MKZ 's AWD, if so it would require a trailer to get all four wheels off the ground.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Community Administrator

You'll find the rating to be 4000 lbs on some older models.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Typically, I'd expect a 35' motorhome to have a 5k lb hitch and tow rating. Remember though, that's only 1/2 the story. You also need to be cognizant of the gross combined weight rating. As example, if your rig weighs 26,000 lbs loaded and has a 30k lb GCWR, you're limited to 4k tow capacity, regardless of the hitch or max tow rating.
I could not have said it better... One more thing.

IF, like me, you use a drop/rise hitch adapter that 5,0000 can become 4,000, 3,000 or even 2,000 or less downright fast.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
35 footer. I am aware that you must load and weigh it etc. but we are still shopping and I saw how inexpensive the gassers are and thought that maybe we could do one of those and have a residence in VA and Florida.

Thing is I would want to have a car with us when we travel. I have a Lincoln MKT and Hubby has a heavy Prius.

If we had a cheap enough one we wouldn't have a full time living load in it.

Just another though I am working through but was hoping some "means, medians, and modes" would help
After other obvious factors, it usually boils down to the transmission with GCVW, with Allison leading the way and followed by Ford. You won't get much out of an older GM trannys, like the TH400, 4L80E or 4L85E. Still they're good and you can either disconnect the toad for those long 6% grades or just pull over and run under 25mph in low for a 25% weight gain. Adding a larger oil cooler and/or a fan on the cooler would have to help, as well. Would also consider a 2 qt. filter for the engine oil as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dolly tow our '10 Prius. I have a 5K hitch. With a 22K GVWR (not weighed) and a 26K GCWR I could tow from 4K to 5K, depending on MH actual weight.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

Good point about the AWD, thank you! We wanted to be able to take it for when we travel in the mountains

The MKT is AWD for sure!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #9

Be careful. The manual on our gasser class A said the tow rating was 5000 lbs.
I was under the MH checking some stuff out and found a sticker on the hitch that said it had a rating of 3500 lbs. This actually limited our selection of toad for that MH. I guess I could have had a different hitch put on, but didn't want the additional expense.

Later we ran across a guy that had a T-Bird he was towing up on a substantial trailer behind a gasser class A. I went over to talk with him about it and noticed that the gusset welds on his hitch were separating. Had he towed it much further it would have separated from the coach. I showed it to him and he had a mobile welder come out and reinforce the gussets. Even with a heavier hitch he may have been pushing the limit of the rig's tow capacity.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

I definitely want to have more than enough, not a fan of constant worry

Tags
class a, gas