Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #15

It is the switch on the far right of the leveler pad with just an icon of a light with light beams.

I think that may be a trucker thank you light. I have one similar in my Damon. While driving if you want to say thank you you flash the lights.

I will post a pic of my switch, very similar
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
So I just looked at this at night.
Doesn't do a thing until my high beams are on .
When on it more than doubled the apparent light with the high beams .
Not a fog light I don't think since you really don't want to use high beams in fog

Switch does not trun and pull by the way.

Wish I'd known this on I40 in January.

What would you call this?
What you describe then does sound like a "Driving Light Switch" ...just as your owner's manual labels it in reference to my previous post.

It doesn't sound like an "ICC switch" from what your are describing --the one Redapple is suggesting.

I'm assuming that you are referring to this switch?:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170304_144434.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	153977  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
What you describe then does sound like a "Driving Light Switch" ...just as your owner's manual labels it in reference to my previous post.

It doesn't sound like an "ICC switch" from what your are describing --the one Redapple is suggesting.

I'm assuming that you are referring to this switch?:
That's the one

Only works with the high beams
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like it was wired for driving lights without the actual lights installed or they the lights that is were removed for some reson.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey guys, let's back up a bit. Here is what we know. The light switch only operates when the lights are on high beam. We are going to make the assumption that there is a low beam and a high beam. The switch doesn't do anything on low beam but increases the light to a brighter light on high beam.

There are only three ways that the high beams would get brighter. That would be, to increase the voltage to the high beam or light up a different filament in the head light. The third way is to add a resistor in the high beam circuit to decrease some of the voltage to the high beam. You would need a hefty resistor in wattage to do this and highly unlikely.

I don't know of any vehicle headlights that have 3 filaments in them. And I don't know any vehicles that have a greater than 12v powering the headlights. The only way to have the third brightness is to have a resistor in the high beam circuit and this switch shunts the resistor allowing all of the 12 voltage to go to the high beam filament.

So my guess is that when you are sitting in the cab and turn on the high beams and then turn on the Driving light switch, you are turning on a separate set of lights and thinking they are part of the high beams. The question here is, did you turn on the high beams and have someone else verify that it was the high beams that illuminated brighter or did you sit in the cab and assume that the high beam illuminated brighter? If the high beam did get brighter then I must say that is a very strange system. If a different set of lights came on then I would guess that it is miswired and the 12v coming from the switch should go directly to the additional set of lights and not through the high beam circuit.

BTW, I was just kidding when I said that this switch was a standard feature on the Death Star. It is actually an option.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Do you have another switch to turn on your fog lights ? Like i mentioned before my Pace Arrow has a fog lights and they only turn on with low beam.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #21

Do you have docking lights? May solve the mystery..
Old 03-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll put my $ on it being a fog light switch.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Back in the 70's when I worked for Hayes Trucks, they had a switch that worked just like the OP described. When the switch was turned on, the low beams would stay on when you switched to high beam. Gave the impression that the lights got a lot brighter, but it was mainly for slow traveling on the logging roads. It spread out the light and worked well for that purpose.
I suspect that's what it is if no other lights are coming on and it seems to get brighter.
We installed a lot of aircraft landing lights with relays as driving lights back then. Great for the dark lonely winter roads. You could see a moose 1/2 a mile away!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #24
rb2

You might also check the "courtesy" light over your water/sewer. Connections.
rb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Back in the 70's when I worked for Hayes Trucks, they had a switch that worked just like the OP described. When the switch was turned on, the low beams would stay on when you switched to high beam. Gave the impression that the lights got a lot brighter, but it was mainly for slow traveling on the logging roads. It spread out the light and worked well for that purpose.
I suspect that's what it is if no other lights are coming on and it seems to get brighter.
We installed a lot of aircraft landing lights with relays as driving lights back then. Great for the dark lonely winter roads. You could see a moose 1/2 a mile away!!

You know, Unplanned, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. Aren't life experiences wonderful. I do think you nailed it.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
You know, Unplanned, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. Aren't life experiences wonderful. I do think you nailed it.
But has the OP had someone outside verify that?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #27

The switch controls the lower lights on your rig. They are driving lights and used in conjunction with your high beams. They do not work with the low beams. I know it sounds backwards to some, but that's the way fleetwood wired them. I asked fleetwood when we bought our Storm. I thought they were fog lights but fleetwood told me nope, they are driving and used with the high beams. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWEAK View Post
The switch controls the lower lights on your rig. They are driving lights and used in conjunction with your high beams. They do not work with the low beams. I know it sounds backwards to some, but that's the way fleetwood wired them. I asked fleetwood when we bought our Storm. I thought they were fog lights but fleetwood told me nope, they are driving and used with the high beams. Hope this helps.
You are correct
Thanks

And there are no fog lights

Tags
light, switch