Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the two six volt GC-2 batteries took only 2 quartes (1/3 quart per cell average) you should be ok,

That is just barely below the top of the plates

If it had taken a FULL gallon to do the job you would be IFFY, I've never taken a full gallon, but I have hit 3 quarts a time or two. Batteries made it to nine years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
House batteries are deep cycle batteries. Deep cycle flooded batteries are lead-antimony, (lead-acid using an antimony alloy).

Chassis, or starting batteries, are lead-calcium, (lead-acid using a calcium alloy).

Lead-antimony batteries use considerably more water than lead-calcium, and the water usage will increase as the battery ages. Near end of life, lead-antimony batteries will use approximately four times the water then when new.
Wow, I am amazed at how much I learn on this forum, never knew this but explains a lot. Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Length of service for a battery is not a function of time. It is a function
of depth of discharge and number of charge cycles. Deep, repetitive
discharge cycles will result in the shortest life span.
IMHO, five years of routine normal use would then require frequent monitoring
of their condition. When in doubt, swap them out. There is no battery
more expensive than the one you'd have to buy in the middle of nowhere
that you must have right away. And when you do need new ones, check
out AGM type batteries, zero maintenance and no corrosive out-gassing.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds to me like you inverter/charger is not dropping to the 13.2V float charge and is boiling your house batts hard. My 2005 Winnebago Voyage did that and it cost me 2 Trojan GC batts. Change out your inverter/charger and problem will be solved. Batts are not cheap.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Update

Back again with more info and questions. I went to MH this weekend, have left charger/converter plugged in for week now, with house switch off. Now I guess the charger function is working right as the reading on house bank and chassis battery was 13.2V at panel, so based on what I have read here it is in "float" stage.

Now the question, is it a good idea to keep the charger plugged in while in storage or am I shortening the battery life by doing so? I used to be in storage with no power available and would just disconnect all batteries when I left.

What is desired method to a: prolong battery life, and b: be safe while in storage?

Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
dennis45,

You state that " You should see 8 -10 years out of a set of batteries", and then link us to a Trojan battery site.

Trojan states that it is diffucult to predict battery life and makes no claim of 8 -10 year life.

A battery is a machine and it`s life is based on cycles and depth of discharge, not years. Some users will use them up much faster then others.

Living on batteries.
I bought my lead acid golf cart batteries from Sam's in 2005. Installed a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp with charge wizzard at the same time. Still going strong.
Not Trojan batteries but just fine with me.

With a smart charger you should be ok leaving it plugged in.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you could say that my coach has been in "storage for over 2 years" now and plugged in all that time even though I have been living in it. Actually I've been living in it for over 12 years now.

In the past 2 years I have only driven the coach a few times to have repairs done on it since parking it over 2 years ago.

There's no difference between having it plugged in at storage or plugged in while parked.

JMHO.

All of my batteries are from Sam's Club. I think they are great batteries with a great warranty.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #22

I did find Trojan T-105's here locally for a 130/pop! Not bad eh? Thinking about swapping out my 4 6 volts.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One quart per GC-2 the batteries likely have several years left in them.

How long has it been since you last checked them.

NEW: with the Intella-Power charge wizard job it should go close to a year between re-fills but check at least every 3 months.

As they age check monthly. When it gets to the point where they are seriously down in a month....You may need a new pair.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #24

Leave it plugged in.

O-Kay, here's an answer with some technical details. Without going into too much detail.

Resting voltage of a fully charges lead acid battery with 6 cells i.e. a 12V battery, the resting voltage is about 12.6 volts. 12.7 volts isn't enough voltage difference to charge the battery. 13.2V is just enough voltage to equal the batteries self discharge. So, that being said it is better for the battery to leave the charger-power supply plugged in all the time because it's the charge - discharge cycles that wear out the battery. A good charger will up the voltage to 14.4 every couple of days or so to stir the electrolyte and keep it from forming layers of differing density.

Enough?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I did find Trojan T-105's here locally for a 130/pop! Not bad eh? Thinking about swapping out my 4 6 volts.
That's outstanding! In Concord, NH? Is this a one-time deal or a regular thing?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Below are the charging perimeters of the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series with the charge wizard pendant. With the charge wizard pendant they are a 4 stage charger. I like the boost charge every 21 hours, does help to extend battery life. If your having to add water to batteries frequently they are showing their age. When batteries are at the end of their life the charger stays in boost/bulk mode longer to get the batteries to 90% charge causing excessive gassing.

BOOST Mode*14.4 Volts - Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL Mode*13.6 Volts - Safely completes the charge.
STORAGE Mode*13.2 Volts - Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.
EQUALIZATION Mode*14.4 Volts - Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation - the leading cause of battery failure.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
That's outstanding! In Concord, NH? Is this a one-time deal or a regular thing?
Golf cart shop down in Bow junction.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Back again with more info and questions. I went to MH this weekend, have left charger/converter plugged in for week now, with house switch off. Now I guess the charger function is working right as the reading on house bank and chassis battery was 13.2V at panel, so based on what I have read here it is in "float" stage.
Now the question, is it a good idea to keep the charger plugged in while in storage or am I shortening the battery life by doing so? I used to be in storage with no power available and would just disconnect all batteries when I left.
What is desired method to a: prolong battery life, and b: be safe while in storage?
Thanks
trode
For 19 years my coach has always be been "plugged in", (and the batteries have always been connected)....except when moving, dry camping or overnighting where there is no shore power.

The original set of 6 batteries, (2 "12V maintenance free" chassis batteries and 4 "12V deep cycle/marine house batteries") lasted 9 years... as did the set that replaced them in 2005.

Mel
'96 Safari, Freedom 20 inverter/charger, (on the 3rd set of batteries).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, water