Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

Do you expect the tire shops to drive your rig to a certified CAT scale?

I don't. That is the owners job.

The owner should tell the tire shop the inflation pressures unique to their rig.

JohnnyB
TRUE...BUT...

Every coach has a weight sticker that tells you what the tire pressure for each axle should be if loaded to max and equally balanced. In my case I just bought a used DSDP and got 8 new tires in the deal. All 8 were inflated to 120 PSI!

At least tire installers should know that there is a plate with inflation information they can use without blindly inflating them. Dealers offering new tires in a deal should also tell the tire shop what the PSI should be.

The lesson I learned is that I will check tire pressure before any test drive and at delivery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
TRUE...BUT...

Every coach has a weight sticker that tells you what the tire pressure for each axle should be if loaded to max and equally balanced. In my case I just bought a used DSDP and got 8 new tires in the deal. All 8 were inflated to 120 PSI!

At least tire installers should know that there is a plate with inflation information they can use without blindly inflating them. Dealers offering new tires in a deal should also tell the tire shop what the PSI should be.

The lesson I learned is that I will check tire pressure before any test drive and at delivery.
In defense of the tire shops, they mount and install so many different sizes and types of tires in any one day that it is just more practical for them to tell several different employees that unless the work order says differently, to inflate to the max psi on the tire. To much liability risk to leave the decision with the employee to search out what the correct pressure should be. If you don't want the tires inflated to their policy, it's up to you to tell what you want.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
In defense of the tire shops, they mount and install so many different sizes and types of tires in any one day that it is just more practical for them to tell several different employees that unless the work order says differently, to inflate to the max psi on the tire. To much liability risk to leave the decision with the employee to search out what the correct pressure should be. If you don't want the tires inflated to their policy, it's up to you to tell what you want.
Respectfully I disagree. This is simply a training issue. If you can't hire employees that understand that there are placards with this information and the most common places to look for them, then you are not serving the customers.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Respectfully I disagree. This is simply a training issue. If you can't hire employees that understand that there are placards with this information and the most common places to look for them, then you are not serving the customers.
There is some truth in what you say, however, having been in business employing 15 people, it's not easy to fine enough conscientious people that can be trusted to do as you say. Our son now has the business with 35 employees and there just are not the quality of employees available at any price. There are a few, but the really good ones are far and few between. How much are you willing to pay someone to change tires? What will you have to charge "IF" you find that person. If you are the shop owner, are you willing to accept the liability of an employee mis-reading a chart and under inflating a tire that fails? Or does it make more business sense to tell them to inflate to max unless directed differently?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #19

IMO it is your due diligence to check air pressure each day before you roll. Especially on a day when someone else has been at your valve stems with a compressed air hose. There is a long list of equipment and people to blame. Gauge your tires (with a gauge you know is accurate) and get on with enjoying your coach.
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
....... But I expect enough thought to be put into the process to not send me home like that.

No more than I would expect it to be "my job" to check to make sure the proper amount of oil was added during an oil change.
With all due respect mr trode, if you want thought put into the process, you are the one to put it there.

When I take my coach in for service, I am the one to tell them what pressure I want in the tires. And as a matter of fact, I also tell them how many quarts of oil I want in my Cat.

It's your machine. You're the Captain. There's no one else who carries the responsibility.

In my opinion.....
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
With all due respect mr trode, if you want thought put into the process, you are the one to put it there.

When I take my coach in for service, I am the one to tell them what pressure I want in the tires. And as a matter of fact, I also tell them how many quarts of oil I want in my Cat.

It's your machine. You're the Captain. There's no one else who carries the responsibility.

In my opinion.....
That's a sad
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

In my opinion.....
I can respect you points and think you are making a perfectly valid point but let's consider this...

Each of us is a newbie at some point. There is no way in heck we can know everything there is to know about these complex beasts. While we are going through the inevitable :bang head: that is part of a learning curve we should be able to trust professionals to do the "most correct" thing.

IMHO, a professional tire service should be able to ask me if I want specific pressure in my tires our go by the vehicle sticker. That simple question would help me understand that there is something more to just putting air in the tires like I did with my cars. I would also suggest that the tire service center would have a LOWER liability if they used the vehicle sticker values absent a specific request by the owner. Furthermore, I would suggest that they document any owner tire pressure requests that are contrary to the vehicle sticker and have the owner sign off on those specifics accepting liability.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
MH may be a little different but all vehicles: cars/trucks have a sticker on the door post. That sticker lists the manufacturers recommended pressures for those tires based on the load range on that vehicle. In almost every case it is not the same as the maximum pressure rating on the sidewall of the tire. It is usually lower. ALL tire people know that information is available and that's what should be used when filling tires. A MH has the sticker located in a different place but you work on MH's so learn where it's located. I've worked on tire machines before. Here's the job: R&R the tire, use lubricant so the bead does not get damaged, check valve stems, use correct rated stems, balance tire, then INFLATE TO RECOMMENDED PRESSURES. If you want to keep your job and get paid it's part of it and is supposed to be done correctly. It's also a very important part of the job. The easy way out is to inflate to sidewall pressures but that is not the correct way.

I have no patience for stupidity or laziness. I also agree if you want something done correctly do it yourself.

Most are not aware that torque wrenches are 20-30% inaccurate. I never used nor recommended torque sticks which flex when they reach their torque range. But that's another discussion.

TeJay
Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

Do you expect the tire shops to drive your rig to a certified CAT scale?

I don't. That is the owners job.

The owner should tell the tire shop the inflation pressures unique to their rig.

JohnnyB
I agree. Last time I bought tires for the motorhome, they asked me about tire pressure. Why don't you just tell em before they install em. Put it on the ticket.
Rich
Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #25

To be fair, the people who fit tyres are not automotive engineers. Nor are they likely to be intimately familiar with load inflation tables of every tyre manufacturer and especially not familiar with the loading of any rig that drives in. If you want a special pressure different to the maximum sidewall pressure or the standard easy to remember 100psi fror "big" tyres, then why not tell them when you take it in.

By putting maximum sidewall pressure in all tyres they are complying with duty of care and doing no harm.

Tyre pressures are just one of the three things they will almost invariably do wrongly even when you specify the right way. Tyre pressure will always be too high for an RV. Stud torques will never be set using a torque wrench and even when they use one, they will do it incorrectly. Last thing is they will usually slather some anti-seize gunk over everything despite most manufacturers specifying that stud torques are with clean dry threads and nut-wheel mating faces.

You probably lucked out on three out of three critical items.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I had 6 tires installed last week. The service writer inquired the pressure I wanted in the steer (105 psi) and drive (95 psi) tires.

I checked the pressure before I drove home after the installation. They were close enough for my drive home (+/- 2 psi). Of course, the next morning, when cool, I fixed it to my satisfaction. I've got a 'thing' about that.

Although I recognize that a conscientious service tech will care deeply about the service he performs on my vehicle, I also realize that he cares as deeply for my vehicle as he does everyone else's vehicle.

On the other hand, in my mind, my vehicle is the very most important vehicle that he'll ever touch.

Before I retired, I know the folks in the company payroll department cared about all the paychecks they issued. I only cared about one.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't expect the tire tech to look in the clothes closet in the back bedroom for my sticker. Nor do I want him pocking around there. I tell them to what pressure what I want my tires inflated. And I err on the safe side and use the pressure on the sticker, which is based on a fully loaded RV. 80 psi in my case (vs 110 on the sidewall). Yes I have weighed my rig. And don't expect your gage to agree with his. 5% difference wouldn't be unusual. And how do you know which gage is right? As far as torque: I saw a recent test of torque wrenches and most were within 5% new. IIRC, the HF torque wrench was near if not at the top. Personally I use a Craftsman digital torque wrench which was within 5% on the tests. I have two, a 1/2" and a 3/8". Both clickers. I have no idea how accurate the torque sticks are, but I do know each size they covers a range of torque values, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are more than 10% off from the actual suggested torque for your rig. And frankly lug nut torque is something we ought be giving to the tech also. I don't want him using a 1" rattle gun torquing to 450 ft-lbs on my 165 ft-lb lug nuts.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I don't want anybody searching through my MH looking for a placard with tire pressures.
Fill the tires to max to set the bead, I'll set them to the pressure I want!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote