Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
What is up with tire shops....pressure

OK so I went yesterday and had the Falken p128 ecorun tires put on as my steer set. I go to pick up and ask the salesman what pressure they put them at? He said I don't know, let me go check, came back and said the tire man told him he put 105psi in them. I asked him if he had an inflation chart and why they set them there. I have a max 7500 lbs. front axle and scale weight front is 6340lbs loaded, with me in there I tell him. He kind of shrugged. Rides is hard on way home, so I go and check inflation tables, for my weight I should be ok at 85 with some margin, so I decide to set them at 90psi. When motor home has been parked for 7 hours I check pressure to prepare to adjust I find that they are set at 120psi!!! That is off the chart for a load range G 245/70r19.5 whats up with this....

Set them at 92 and take for a ride, like a different motor home. Ran it up on the interstate alone got her up to 70mph, which I NEVER drive at normally, to see how they ride...all is ok smooth and quiet, for a 20,000 lbs truck anyway. Should be fine on trips where 60mph is my max travel speed when loaded and company on board.

Just curious about experience with tire shops and PSI settings.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

I had the same experience after getting shocks changed. Tires pumped up to 120 psi. Not sure why they do that.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sadly a lot of tire shops are unfamiliar with RV loads and tire pressures. As a resuly to CYA they inflate them to a high pressure. Better to be high on pressure then low?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had 6 new tires put on and had 6 different pressures, ranging from a low of 70 to a high of 110, Got the tires adjusted to 100 in the rear and 90 up front. I think a lot is due to carelessness and lack of pride in one's work. Also, there is a lot of blame to be placed on managers of these stores, the less time an employee takes to do a job the more customers are taken care of the higher their bonuses. Not all places are operated in such a slip shod manner, the Firestone Complete Auto Care store I frequent with my van has great service managers and the actual mechanics are instructed over and over to always do their best, it is a great place; I just wish they worked on MHs, they would have my business in a heartbeat.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I recently purchased new Michelins and the shop pumped mine to 120psi. I asked them about the tire pressure charts and they gave me some line about putting them at the max pressure listed on sidewall. I didn't try to argue with them, figured it was easier to remove air than put it in, so when I got home, used the Michelin charts with my axle weight and adjusted them down to 85psi and 90psi. Rides nice now.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Expect to Much!

Folks,

Do you expect the tire shops to drive your rig to a certified CAT scale?

I don't. That is the owners job.

The owner should tell the tire shop the inflation pressures unique to their rig.

JohnnyB
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Most tire guys see an rv & assume it is heavy & inflate to the max pressure on the sidewall.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not specify, most shops will inflate to max on the tire. Without guidance what else should they do? There is a potential liability issue here I am sure.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is up with tire shops....pressure

Sheetz is right, (as usual)... 1) checking weights and charts and inflating to that point takes time, and 2) there is no liability that accrues by going to the max sidewall pressure. Any pressure less than that could be debated.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #10

Just be careful of tire dealers in larger cities. They sell lots of car tires, fewer to non truck and MH tires. A few years ago they installed new auto low pressure valve stems on my F250 then aired them up to 65 lbs. The dealer at the counter tells me 65 lbs, no problem. About 3 months later had a blowout with new tire on left rear while towing 5ver. Problem wasn't the tire it was valve stem. Had to have all valve stems changed out with high pressure valve stems. Unfortunately was several thousand miles away from the tire dealer. I had no idea the tire dealer in Los Angeles area didn't know the difference.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

The owner should tell the tire shop the inflation pressures unique to their rig.

JohnnyB

+1000
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Folks,

JohnnyB
What you say is true, however putting 120 pounds in a tire rated for 110 is not wise or anything any tire shop should be doing.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Folks,

JohnnyB
Guess I should clarify - By tire shop, I should have said, truck tire dealer who caters to trucking industry and claimed, when I called them, to do significant business in RV's, specifically motorhomes. Was recommended by both local RV dealers. Told him about experience with other shops who sent me home with over filled tires in past which rode like a old wagon wheel, and he was "not surprised" is what he said when I dropped it off. HE was the one who said they would look at sticker in motor home for inflation recommendation and GVWR. That is why when I picked up I asked what they had inflated them to, again, HE told me 105 which I thought was a little high, and judging by ride home I thought they were too hard, that is when I discovered they were at 120 after it sat for 7 hours. But I don't expect them to inflate them to carry neary 10,000 pounds when they are on a 7500 pound rated axle. They are the "truck experts"

So, no I do not expect them to drive my rig to a certified scale. But I expect enough thought to be put into the process to not send me home like that. Perhaps that is too much to expect from the "experts".

No more than I would expect it to be "my job" to check to make sure the proper amount of oil was added during an oil change.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

I learned a long time ago that I need to know more about what I want them to do than what I assume they "should" know. That goes for tire work, specialty repairs or general service. I find that when I spell out just what and how I want something done, the shop either realizes he not working with a rookie or if I sense he's not interested in what I have to say, I say goodbye and go to another shop. The more they think you know, the better the job gets done. It shouldn't be that way, but it's the owners responsibility to know their unit and let them know what you expect.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote