Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
Last RV shows we just went to, we both noticed that even the better brands have cut corners and use a lot of lower cost materials.
One of the main reasons for this is inflation which is something the public seems to never consider. Not trying to be political here, but it's a fact of life that when the government continues to print money like there's no tomorrow, the value of the dollar falls. My 2005 Country Coach Allure had a sticker price of $436000.00 when new. That translates into $538000.00 in today's dollar. I don't think Country Coach could sell that same coach today at that price. Another reason is the costlier emissions regulations, especially in the DP market. Most manufacturers are cutting corners and quality to reach their target market. $250k to 300k is now the mid range market. Of course the high end manufacturers are still producing the rolling palaces, the folks who buy those coaches can afford to pay more. We chose to buy a nine year old, higher end coach rather than to buy a new one. One reason was for the difference in materials quality. The other was depreciation. Even after buying a warranty, new tires, new TV's, new roller shades, wood flooring, new shocks and complete chassis and drivetrain service, I'm still at less than 70% of new price, which is less than the cost of a new high end gas coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
One of the main reasons for this is inflation which is something the public seems to never consider. Not trying to be political here, but it's a fact of life that when the government continues to print money like there's no tomorrow, the value of the dollar falls. My 2005 Country Coach Allure had a sticker price of $436000.00 when new. That translates into $538000.00 in today's dollar. I don't think Country Coach could sell that same coach today at that price. Another reason is the costlier emissions regulations, especially in the DP market. Most manufacturers are cutting corners and quality to reach their target market. $250k to 300k is now the mid range market. Of course the high end manufacturers are still producing the rolling palaces, the folks who buy those coaches can afford to pay more. We chose to buy a nine year old, higher end coach rather than to buy a new one. One reason was for the difference in materials quality. The other was depreciation. Even after buying a warranty, new tires, new TV's, new roller shades, wood flooring, new shocks and complete chassis and drivetrain service, I'm still at less than 70% of new price, which is less than the cost of a new high end gas coach.

It's not just the devaluation of the dollar but the tremendous cost of complying with the staggering number of regulations. I read recently that the total cost of regulatory compliance would be as much as the world's tenth largest economy.

Elections have consequences.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #87

What ticks me off the most is their attitude. Newmar C.S just doesn't care. Apparently all of my complaints are considered normal issues. If they would have apologized and admitted that some things could have been done better, I would have a completely different opinion of them. They could have at least said sorry and thrown me a gift certificate for a Big Mac.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #88

I'll send you a certificate for a Big Mac if you put your Newmar logo back up. I'm sure once you get through these issues you will grow to love your Motorhome again. Good Luck, I'm sure it will all work out. By the way you and I are a lot alike when it becomes the "Principle" of the issue, we tend to dig in. We are dealing with a similar issue with a realtor selling a rental of ours, we won't budge no matter how much money it costs us as it's just not the right way to do business.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I'll send you a certificate for a Big Mac if you put your Newmar logo back up. I'm sure once you get through these issues you will grow to love your Motorhome again. Good Luck, I'm sure it will all work out. By the way you and I are a lot alike when it becomes the "Principle" of the issue, we tend to dig in. We are dealing with a similar issue with a realtor selling a rental of ours, we won't budge no matter how much money it costs us as it's just not the right way to do business.
You're right. I'll get over it. Just a little frustrated.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
What ticks me off the most is their attitude. Newmar C.S just doesn't care. Apparently all of my complaints are considered normal issues. If they would have apologized and admitted that some things could have been done better, I would have a completely different opinion of them. They could have at least said sorry and thrown me a gift certificate for a Big Mac.
I suggest you send a letter of complaint to the CEO with a copy to the BBB. I would register the letter to make sure it gets there.

IMO the CS is just telling you what they can within the latitudes of the discretion they have been given. Sometimes dealing with a clerk is tough because their supervisors have really constrained them.

It could be that the CS manager is trying to make a name for him/herself by reducing the number of claims. I dealt with a service manager at a GM dealership years ago and had to go to the General Manager for satisfaction.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #91

TBS-Pops
If you aren't in the market for a super coach that is made just for you--$$, then how about finding one of the proven chassis coaches during the Golden Age of RVing? For example the wonderful 8 or 10 bag coaches built by MCC prior to their bankruptcy as in Camelot or above or their Holiday Rambler, Safari, Beaver equivalents? There are many more great makes from those years and once you have a quality chassis/coach, it can be re-modeled. Do some yourself, have other parts done professionally. There are some wonderful buys on those coaches these days.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #92

[QUO a crock.TE crock=Gordon Dewald;2558659]I suggest you send a letter of complaint to the CEO with a copy to the BBB. I would register the letter to make sure it gets there.

IMO the CS is just telling you what they can within the latitudes of the discretion they have been given. Sometimes dealing with a clerk is tough because their supervisors have really constrained them.

It could be that the CS manager is trying to make a name for him/herself by reducing the number of claims. I dealt with a service manager at a GM dealership years ago and had to go to the General Manager for satisfaction.[/QUOTE]

C.S. just doesn't want to be bothered. When my wife talked to him about the batteries only lasting 3 hrs, his response was, "you didn't buy a motor home, you bought a coach. A coach is not intended to be used for dry camping" What a crock.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It's not just the devaluation of the dollar but the tremendous cost of complying with the staggering number of regulations. I read recently that the total cost of regulatory compliance would be as much as the world's tenth largest economy. Elections have consequences.
Truer words were never spoken. But these consequences aren't even felt by the voters responsible for the status quo. Long as they continue to get their government largesse, they're happy.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
[QUO a crock.TE crock=Gordon Dewald;2558659]I suggest you send a letter of complaint to the CEO with a copy to the BBB. I would register the letter to make sure it gets there.

It could be that the CS manager is trying to make a name for him/herself by reducing the number of claims. I dealt with a service manager at a GM dealership years ago and had to go to the General Manager for satisfaction.
C.S. just doesn't want to be bothered. When my wife talked to him about the batteries only lasting 3 hrs, his response was, "you didn't buy a motor home, you bought a coach. A coach is not intended to be used for dry camping" What a crock.[/QUOTE]

No doubt . . . but . . . we know of many people who use their coach to dry camp. All you have to do it go out to the Imperial Dunes at Thanksgiving. There are estimates at over 100,000 units. Batteries should last at least overnight no matter where you are so they are wrong.

Unfortunately when stuff like that happens to me I get like a dog with a bone and will take the time to follow up.

I would expect somewhere in the Newmar information/sales brochures there is a statement they have made about the life expectancy of the batteries under normal equipment usage.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #95

My son has also had problems with Newmar's service. He has had his 2015 Mountain Aire back to the factory for a few corrections. While there, he asked them to adjust the headlights, which they said they did. Another was an update to the Comfort Drive system. While he was following me last March, one headlight was on the road and the other was in the clouds. The steering was not right after the update and he took it to a Freightliner shop for repair. They removed an orifice as directed and said it was fixed per Newmar. He drove it home and it was worse than before. All this was after he had to cover a hole with insulation to keep his pipes in the water compartment from freezing,,,,, again. I always thought Newmar's quality and service was a notch above the industry standard. I guess they aren't.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #96

RV designers should have to live in their designs before they go to full production. Would probably cure things like poorly located toilets.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whats wrong with manufacturers?

I totally agree with most of you, its about the money we DO pay for these coaches. We bought a new coach which was my first new RV out of 6. We wanted the warranty and the NEW model that we really liked. Its a Winnebago 33C 2014 and for the most part its built pretty well but we have found a few things that weren't so good. Outdated dvd player, low grade batteries, low grade windows that don't close right, etc..most things I have replaced or fixed myself. But in answer to the original question as to if there is a decent bathroom/ toilet out there, THIS model has it! Very nice, roomy bathroom with the ONLY porcelain FULL sized toilet we saw on any of the hundreds of motorhomes we looked at! Some of even the largest most expensive models had cheap plastic toilets that were in a tiny closet..unreal good luck..
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #98

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I suggest you send a letter of complaint to the CEO with a copy to the BBB. I would register the letter to make sure it gets there.

I have found the BBB to be worthless or even less. They sell the ratings and give good ratings to those that have poor business practices.
Got defrauded twice listening to the BBB ratings, cost me several $1,000's. Another time I complained about a Newmar dealer, the dealer wrote the BBB a leter saying we had agreed to cancel the dispute. I had done no such thing so I wrote the BBB a letter denying the dealers story. All I got back was that they had closed the case. Luckily I had also filed a complaint with the WA AG's office and they sided with me and I got the free TV.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote