Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
The manufacturers need to institute the Six Sigma method of manufacturing. These problems would quickly improve but the people at the top need to buy off on it. Right now it's a vicious circle. The manufacturer blows the product out the door. The dealer sells it. You the customer debuggs it. The dealer makes more money to do the repairs. Sig Sigma works very well in our manufacturing industry and would increase product dependability, fit and finish and decrease time per unit in construction. It would be a win-win all around. Google it.
Now that I am only about 5 years from retiring I started doing extensive research on motorhomes with the intention of buying a Class A when the time comes and spend a few years traveling extensively.

The quality issues with new RV's overall is the most shocking thing I have discovered. With the emphasis on quality improvement in the automobile industry over the past 20 years I assumed the same would be true for the RV industry. Not so.

The post I quoted above, particularly the part I bolded, sums it up nicely. It is pure insanity to allow a motorhome to leave the factory with so many issues. If every manufacturer would add a few hundred dollars to their build budget they could add quality procedures and checks that would eliminate shoddy work getting out of the factory.

Having said that yesterday I visited my first motorhome factory, Tiffin, and only now fully realize just how many parts go into the manufacturing of a Class A motorhome. I was very impressed with the workmanship I saw but realized with so many people working simultaneously on a unit how hard it would be to institute some sort of accountability down to a individual person and that is what is needed to weed out incompetent or uncaring workers.

The current situation is a golden opportunity for some mainstream manufacturer to break the vicious cycle by instituting real quality control that results in units being delivered without needing multiple visits back to the dealership for warranty work.

Not being high dollar units is no excuse for this not happening because catching these issues at the factory is a lot less expensive for the manufacturer than paying a dealer for warranty work to correct it later.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
The current situation is a golden opportunity for some mainstream manufacturer to break the vicious cycle by instituting real quality control that results in units being delivered without needing multiple visits back to the dealership for warranty work.
Notlad
IMO there's no incentive for a RV builder to build a quality product because because inferior RVs SELL!
If enough potential RV customers would refuse to buy an inferior product RV builders might be forced to abandon their established practices.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Notlad
IMO there's no incentive for a RV builder to build a quality product because because inferior RVs SELL!
If enough potential RV customers would refuse to buy an inferior product RV builders might be forced to abandon their established practices.
Mel
'96 Safari
Have to agree with Mel. To many are ready to defend the brand they drive to the bitter end if someone says there is an issue. Some of the responses are very strident.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #116

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's all about consumer's demand and the price they will pay

Two things seem to be clear: the RV industry will respond only when they need to because consumers change how they approach this. It might not happen anytime soon.

I think many people want all that an RV can bring them but money is always the issue. As noted in the other posts, an RV is assembled part by part. Many buyers are driven by price - therefore the RV industry responds exactly as it needs to for those expectations and the associated economics.

I just bought a 2016 Miramar and so far so good. But my wife and I tried to manage our expectations of what we really bought. The factory tour was really helpful in making sure we saw "build quality" with our own eyes.

RVs are what they are. I'm hoping for the best, I plan to take care of it and assume it's "when" something goes wrong, not "if." With luck, any problems won't ruin a trip or cost a fortune.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
Now that I am only about 5 years from retiring I started doing extensive research on motorhomes with the intention of buying a Class A when the time comes and spend a few years traveling extensively.

The quality issues with new RV's overall is the most shocking thing I have discovered. With the emphasis on quality improvement in the automobile industry over the past 20 years I assumed the same would be true for the RV industry. Not so.

The post I quoted above, particularly the part I bolded, sums it up nicely. It is pure insanity to allow a motorhome to leave the factory with so many issues. If every manufacturer would add a few hundred dollars to their build budget they could add quality procedures and checks that would eliminate shoddy work getting out of the factory.

Having said that yesterday I visited my first motorhome factory, Tiffin, and only now fully realize just how many parts go into the manufacturing of a Class A motorhome. I was very impressed with the workmanship I saw but realized with so many people working simultaneously on a unit how hard it would be to institute some sort of accountability down to a individual person and that is what is needed to weed out incompetent or uncaring workers.

Not being high dollar units is no excuse for this not happening because catching these issues at the factory is a lot less expensive for the manufacturer than paying a dealer for warranty work to correct it later.
Notlad, this is HOTSEER here, (I'm sending from my nook so it may not autofill my membership ID) I agree for the most part with you but I DO think some manufacturers do a LOT better job getting a better product out there from the get go than others no matter what the class , size, or cost. We did a LOT of research for over a year before we bought our Winnebago 35 ft Sightseer. Tifin was VERY high on our list as well. We talked first with a LOT of repair techs that worked on many different brands of RVs. Almost every one said they liked the quality of workmanship of Winnebago and they had the best parts system available with every part numbered and labeled for fast location and repair. Are they perfect.? No but when we had a few issues we got the part fast and if I told them I could replace it they sent right to me. I camped next to a guy who had a Tiffin. He broke a part on his one yr old 38 ft diesel and Tiffin sent a guy over 100 miles to bring him a new part AND install it for him! So YES they all make a buck by not having the best quality control and soaking us "rich guys" for repairs and parts but I think there ARE a few companies that do that a LOT less than others like Tiffin and Winnebago and a few others. I'm only one year into motorhoming but 35 yrs with trailers and campers. You are right there's a LOT that goes into a motorhome and complete quality control would either be impossible or too expensive! And its not just quality control of rigs and parts, its also the training of the employees on some of their own systems. My Sightseer had a battery charging problem that took me 3 months and a LOT of phone calls, replacing all of my batteries, posts on this site and several service visits to the dealer ( thank God under warranty) only to get back to square one, my batteries would NOT charge at all when they got discharged very low from dry camping. I finally got ahold of the manufacturer of the isolation management system (now replaced twice) and found out that it was doing exactly what it WAS supposed to be doing! Their device was built NOT to try to charge all of the batteries at once when they were discharged so it wouldn't burn up the alternator! But not ONEtech, service mgr, salesman, battery dealer etc knew that! I had to let my solar charge for a while or use my Honda 1000 to charge a couple of my house batteries for a bit before my alternator or big generator would kick in . Motorhomes have SO many systems and parts that like SO many on this site have said , " Its not IF some thing will go wrong, but WHEN...I wish all salesmen were as honest as ours was at Camp World in Bakersfield. He said if you aren't really handy with your hands or have the money for repairs I would suggest a trailer or some other smaller cheaper RV.... good advice! best of luck, good roads , God Bless Dave and Cindy