Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

What is wrong with the manufacturers

Went shopping for a new coach last week end. what a disappointment!!! I really can't figure out what these builders are thinking when they design a coach and the sloppy workmanship of the assembly workers. I'm talking about coaches in the $300k+ range. I found only two brands i would consider buying at this time. Bathroom size is a huge deal with me. I'm not obese but i don't weigh 100 lbs either. I don't like sitting on the toilet with my shoulder's up against the wall!!! I saw coaches with enough room BUT they installed the toilet up against the wall!!!!WHAT THE HECK!!Then theres the stuff like the mouldings don't match in the corners. The list could go on but......... Anyone else seeing this kind of stupid stuff out there??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Anyone else seeing this kind of stupid stuff out there??
Not since we got rid of our '98 Santara in 2000 for a 2000 Dutch Star, then a 2002 Dutch Star and now the Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Last week we looked at a new gasser. The rear hanging closet doors closed on center and the stanchion that held the capture clasps was so flexible/wimpy that they had to use very light duty clasps so the doors would close. I would think the doors would pop open if the MH hit any kind of bump. Also, it had no pantry for spices or canned goods. The toilet paper dispenser was on the side wall and behind the occupant on the throne...which btw, I've seen bigger knot holes in dried out pine lumber...who can use those 'trainer' potties? I also saw nothing made of real wood. Most of the new units have four huge flat screen TVs, however. Big whoop! Hey manufacturers...the '60s called and they want their cheap brown shag carpeting back!

I'm starting to think we'd be better off finding an older(maybe early to mid 2000s) unit with the 'bones' worthy of up grading to our specs. :y:

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
And the customers keep buying, that's the answer.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #5

Well, if you buy a Country Coach, you don't have to worry about workmanship!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

Fred
No-one likes to hear the truth though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Well, if you buy a Country Coach, you don't have to worry about workmanship!
Only if you take it to a Cummins shop! They're sending a man to our home tomorrow (Sat) to look at the broken door.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
What we really need is someone who knows all of the problems with the current manufacturers to step up to the plate and build a better one at a competitive price point.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought a '98 American Tradition 40' two weeks ago for 1/10th of your $300k price point. I can say that our coach is so much more well made than anything at $200k. The quality of workmanship that American Coach put into our unit 17 year and 110k miles ago compared to what you get now astounds me. I'm happy that I had only $30k to spend on a coach and bought what I did because as far as I'm concerned, new coaches don't impress me.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

Maybe they need to quit adding so much crap and concentrate on building a quality product. No wait they'd still do a crappy job, they just can't help themselves, it's all they know...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

Fred
The problem is the american consumer, who keep buying bigger and cheaper... Many of the quality mfg's out there either had to change or go out of business (eg Excel). There are some mfg's that build some awesome but BIG rigs, but almost nobody is building smaller quality units cause they CAN'T sell them. AND this even extends to the design, where more slides more open living area rules over other factors. Priced an Airstream lately?

just saying.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
What we really need is someone who knows all of the problems with the current manufacturers to step up to the plate and build a better one at a competitive price point.
Can't be done, quality costs money, and we won't pay it, even a little bit. And there is SO much labor and SO much competition every dime counts.

That's why I bought a 10 YO Bigfoot truck Camper, where there are still some good products, like Bigfoot and Northern Light. The smaller (like 35 and shorter TT and 5er's out there are downright scary.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Can't be done, quality costs money, and we won't pay it, even a little bit. And there is SO much labor and SO much competition every dime counts.

I don't buy it. Not even a little bit.

The salesman stepped up into the new coach before me. As I stepped up, I grabbed the grab handle affixed to the dashboard, which immediately came off in my hand. Fortunately I really wasn't relying on it too much, so I didn't fall down.

As I quickly examined the grab handle in my hand, I could see that it simply had not been fastened properly into the dashboard. To solve this, the dashboard would have to be disassembled. A few hours of work.

I handed the grab handle to the salesman, telling him that they would have to fix this. His reply floored me. He said they didn't bother fixing anything. After the customer purchased the coach, they could return it any time during the warranty period to have any issues they might have resolved.

I was stunned. I quickly lost interest in seeing much more of that coach, and the salesman soon left me for other more lucrative opportunities.

It would have cost practically nothing to install that grab handle correctly at the factory. The cost to do it after the sale through a dealership would be astronomical by comparison.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the business I am in I see it as a stage of the industry. When products like US manufactured passenger cars were made with poor quality (like lasting 100,000 miles due to engine durability and rusting out) they eventually lost market to Japanese companies. Only then did US companies make improvements.

That was back in the 70's. The RV industry is going thru something similar but guessing the timing is kind of hard.