Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What jacks are better?

I decided to have jacks installed on my Hurricane. However, I have no idea which jacks I should buy. Are hydraulic better or worse than electric ones? Which of them is the less expensive solution? which are more reliable/require less maintenance? The Hurricane 29D is not very heavy as class A's go, it has a GVWR of 15700 lbs.

What would you recommend I should have installed? Would Camping world be a ood place to buy the system and install it? Or should I get it from a different source. If that, where would I go for installation?

2001 Hurricane 29D
2015 Kia Sorento
Kymco Motor Scooter
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
There are pluses and minuses to both types of systems. Hydraulic systems can leak, and electric jacks can have the motors burn out.

For a time, Tiffin only offered hydraulic jacks on their coaches. Then around 2005-2006, they offered a choice of HWH hydraulic or Atwood electric jacks because a lot of their owners were having problems with HWH jacks and they wanted to provide a choice. Now, Tiffin no longer offers the Atwood electric jacks because they had so much trouble with them.

We had a choice of HWH or Atwood when we bought our motorhome, and we picked HWH because they had a good reputation. We had some problems with our HWH jacks, and I was second guessing our choice. However, HWH was very responsive in correcting our problem; and now with the trouble Tiffin owners are having with Atwood, I'm glad we have HWH.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have electric jacks on my Allegro Bay and couldn't be happier. I had hydraulic on my old unit an had trouble with them . I prefer the electric jacks because if one goes out, just unbolt it and disconnect the wires and change it. No hydrauic hoses to worry about, or pump .
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From a cost if installation standpoint electric jacks would probably be cheaper, no need for a hydraulic pump and lines. I believe both Atwood and HWH make electric jacks.
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
My last three mh have had hydraulic no problems electric would definitely be cheaper and with your weight should work just fine.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had motorhomes with both HWH and Atwood Electric jacks and I had trouble with both. Electric would cost less. Atwood has completely redesigned their electric jack system and it is much more reliable than the old one.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer hydraulic, at least until an electric system has a proven track record. Atwoods last attempt with electric proved only that their design and/or manufacturing was woefully inadequate.

I've had excellent results with Power Gear hydraulics and now have an Equalizer system.

If I were adding a system aftermarket, I would probably choose Bigfoot by Quadra. Not so much because their jacks are better, but because they are an experienced aftermarket supplier.

Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing - Class A Motor Homes
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If this helps, had HWH hydraulics on my 90 Bounder, never had problem, never had a leak and never had a problem. They leveled the coach perfect everytime!
On my 05 Southwind we have the Attwood Level Legs, never had a problem with them yet but they don't level the coach automaticaly like the HWH's did, as far as I'm concerned the ATTwoods stink and would never have them again.

05 Southwind 37C
Going down that long lonesome highway,Bound for the mountains and the plains
Michael Parks / Then Came Bronson - 1969
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had my way I would have the bigfoots. No personal experience with them but two way hydraulic rams to me make sense as opposed to a spring loaded return setup.
I, however, will be getting the hwh as that is whay they are outfitting the coach with from the factory.
2011 Allegro 32CA \ 2013 CRV toad
Previous:2007 Winnebago Class C
99' Winnebago Adventurer /Towables
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have power gear hydraulics.. My major complaint is they could use a bit more "Oomph" but then I run a tad heavy (Close to my GVW limit)

The minor complaint is how they determine "Jacks up"

This is a float vavle in the fluid tank. if the tank is low, say due to the fluid expanding and overflowing in August and it's now January and the fluid contracted faster than the tank around it... I need to add fluid.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Any component can malfunction and electric and hydraulic systems are excepted from that. The hydraulic HWH jacks on my rig have experienced one minor problem in six years.

However the service help I received from HWH was timely and accurate but what I've been reading on the Tiffin Net about service on the Atwood Level Legs has not been flattering for the most part.
Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
I bought new a Holiday Rambler 1999 Vacationer with the factory installed HWH leveling system. After almost 11 years nothing but a hose coupling leaking. With warrant expired HWH sent me a new hose free including shipping. A great company to deal with. There's better choices than Cmping World to deal with to have RV work done. Ask around before you commit to their outrageous labor charges. As with any mechanical equipment servicing as neccessary increases the life and dependability of any product. Good Luck
rfbelpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I had HWH on my last coach and they worked fine no problems. I have the Bigfoot by Quadra on my current coach and like them better they have a independent pump for each ram. I did have a ram go bad but was easy to replace. My vote would be for the Bigfoot by Quadra. Good Luck JP
Just the Wife & Me and the Two Dogs!!
2011 Newmar Mountain Aire 4344 !!
450HP Cummins on a Freightliner Chassis !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've got Atwood's on the Bounder & have never (knock on wood) had an issue. Unless we got a really unlevel site, the "Auto" function has levelled us perfectly each & every time.

Ok, well, it did give me a hard time once, but that was because I stepped on the brake, took the parking brake off & was going to put the coach in drive before I raised the jacks. The alarms screamed at me before I could even touch the shifter. But then, that's operator error, not Atwood's fault.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote