Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

What kind of temperature monitoring system do you use?

Now that winter is coming on its time to get serious about how to protect a coach on cold winter days.

My coach will be parked outside with 50 amp service and I plan to have two heaters inside the coach with 500 - 1000 - 1500 settings. I'll put one in the kitchen rotating between the kitchen and salon and one in the master rotating between the bath and master. I'm also planning to have a cube heater in the wet bay that will also heat the fresh water tank that I intend to keep full!

I m not planning to use antifreeze and as long as the heaters are working there's no need for it. And that's what calls the question?

What temperature monitory system do you use and how many sensors do you use and where do you place them?

Thanks for your help,

Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I am shopping for a monitoring system now...thinking about the Marcell unit.
https://www.amazon.com/MarCELL-500-C.../dp/B00QRMFEAQ

It has a monthly fee, but $11.00/month is ok with me. FWIW, I will monitor with antifreeze in freshwater system to see how I do. I will have my coach in Breckenridge, Colorado for the winter using it every weekend. Plan on leaving electric side of AquaHot on.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

Hi KG,

Breckenridge, CO now that's a place to have a motorhome! Spent a lot of time there back in my college days. Then it was just a few buildings and a couple runs, nothing like today.

I was just looking at the Marcell system and see it also handles power outages which is something I hadn't thought of. Since the sensors are battery operated I guess the power side isn't all that important because the drop in temp will inform me there's a problem!

Marcell is a lot more expensive than others I've seen that are smart phone oriented. But it looks like a good system with high marks for doing the job.

Thanks for your input,

Harry
Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Harry, this is what I did.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bay-heaters-149096.html

I have since changed the remote thermometers to a single multi-zone unit with remotes.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

I would avoid any space heater that requires a fan. Ive found that continuous use the fan bushings/bearings can seize causing the fan to overheat and cause a fire. They are usually plastic or heaven forbid wood and melt rapidly when the fan fails to keep the temp controlled and before the thermal switch gets involved and shuts it off. IR heaters heat people and not the air.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Years ago, when I lived aboard a 51' power boat, I had 4 Pelonis ceramic heaters running full time. They were all set on low heat to kick in at 60 degrees. The water temp was stable at around 52 degrees, which kept the hull, above the waterline, reasonably warm. Never had an issue with anything freezing, even when the outside air temp hit the high 20's to low 30's. If you place 2 or 3 small cube space heaters on low heat, you shouldn't have an issue. That's assuming you have 50 amp of service to your coach. Oh, you may want to put one heater in the wet bay, elevated on a brick or something, to keep the tanks from freezing.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I would avoid any space heater that requires a fan. Ive found that continuous use the fan bushings/bearings can seize causing the fan to overheat and cause a fire. They are usually plastic or heaven forbid wood and melt rapidly when the fan fails to keep the temp controlled and before the thermal switch gets involved and shuts it off. IR heaters heat people and not the air.
The last owner used a small ceramic heater down there but I've read about the failures/melting/fire. Right now I purchased a metal mechanics lamp (hook on top to hang from a bracket off the rail) and put in a 60watt bulb. Been trying to figure out how to turn it on automatically. Those Farm Innovators Model TC-3 outlets look very interesting, have not seen those before the post above.

I've seen some rv owners are using the Lux WIN100 but seems like it's more than needed.

I just purchased ThermoPro TP60 (1 sensor in basement)

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have since changed the remote thermometers to a single multi-zone unit with remotes.
Which specific multi-zone system now?

Also, seems you have been using your system for a few years now, how are those little 200watt heaters working out?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
The last owner used a small ceramic heater down there but I've read about the failures/melting/fire. Right now I purchased a metal mechanics lamp (hook on top to hang from a bracket off the rail) and put in a 60watt bulb. Been trying to figure out how to turn it on automatically. Those Farm Innovators Model TC-3 outlets look very interesting, have not seen those before the post above.

I've seen some rv owners are using the Lux WIN100 but seems like it's more than needed.

I just purchased ThermoPro TP60 (1 sensor in basement)

We use those thermostat outlets for our chicken coop. I haven't decided if I would trust them on something that could be a disaster if it fails. I can't think of having had any issues with them but who knows how precise they are. YMMV

Ive been looking at this type. Cant say I can recommend any yet but they seem more accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3..._&dpSrc=detail

Was looking at this flat panel heater for the chickens as they have gotten older they quit laying in the winter. it might be a good option in the bays but haven't looked to see what kind of room I have in the black tank bay. my fresh water bay has plenty of room. https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products...t_sims?ie=UTF8
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

My wet bay area is essentially the big bay area, holding tanks and water and full pass through to the other side. Also the hot water heater is right next to the water pump and water manifold. There is a vent or two in there from the furnace of course. I put the 60 watt bulb between the hot water heater and manifold (both next a basement door). I may want to address my dump bay but the previous owner just put one heater in the main bay for years.

Those InkBirds are cheaper and priced reasonably, $25 would be better Maybe a 1 relay model?

I will read up on that heater as well.

What about heat pads or I read about heat strips. I have not found any links for some yet except ones that you attach to the tanks I think: http://www.ultraheat.com/ultraheat-rv-tank-heaters

I was thinking of a mat that would lay down on the basement floor.

EDIT: Here is a mat

http://www.speedheat.us/applications...v_heating.html

Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #11

There are quite a few of that style temp switch at first I just found a cooling one. There has got to be some heating only ones that have more than one outlet. Ahhh hours of searching on amazon I don't have ATM. lol

The panel heater might be able to be secured face up to a metal plate so it lays flat. I don't think under tank heaters would offer much freeze protection to the waterlines etc.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #12

one review said that chicken heater gets very hot to the touch.

What about DC Thermal 12 volt heaters, think the Military uses these in the Humvees rear. They also have a ducted 3 vent version. Have to find a controller.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...2+volt+heater+

http://dcthermal.com/

Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A wireless unit bought via Walmart. Three remote sensors. Wet bay, water heater, behind the refrigerator for ice maker line.

Also another for outside temperature.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
If I had a Prevost conversion, I would use the on board heating system and not worry with the extra heaters. Fill the diesel tank and turn on the heating system, set the thermostats to 40 to 45 degrees and let things run